Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:48 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
https://archive.org/stream/onehouseo...ge/22/mode/2up

Here's an old Sears 'Honor Built' home catalog. The bungalow on the left is fairly similar to the sample I gave

If you leaf through the catalog, you will see homes within it that still stand in many LI communities.

1. Wherever one might find BUNGALOWS situated within Long Island or Queens at-large, I wonder how much such a small home would cost to buy compared to all the NON-bungalow homes in its same neighborhood/vicinity? For instance, if one spent $700,000 or $800,000 for a ranch or cape or a McMansion in Huntington Village or East Northport or East Meadow or Mineola or Port Washington or Long Beach or Amityville/South Amityville or Farmingdale or wherever else, how much would one save to instead buy a typical Sears 'Honor-Built' Catalog-type bungalow in the same neighborhood or town or vicinity?
  2. And do such bungalows, being smaller-sized, virtually always come on a notably-smaller plot of land (e.g., instead of an acre or even half an acre, they come on a quarter-acre or even less?
  3. If a person is single or else has their household consist of just themself and a marriage partner or significant other but no children in the household (or no children anymore, as their children are now all adults on their own), it seems to be a great way to live in a single-family detached home but to keep it very small and low-maintenance (instead of living in a rental apartment or owned condo or coop where you still share walls and/or floors and/or ceilings and/or common hallways, etc. with other tenants/strangers). A small-ish bungalow or cottage of some type would be ideal for me, and especially if it is otherwise not too too close to other adjoining homes . . . but then I understand that having a bungalow or cottage might entail having a whole cluster of them adjoining one another in a row (side-by-side-by-side-by-side-by-side, etc etc. and then maybe sometimes also with other bungalows or cottages in front and/or in back of your property as well).
  4. And would the property taxes and any other homeowner-incurred taxes still be similar to what other NON-bungalow/NON-cottage homes in the same area or vicinity or development are assessed?
(Then again, as an afterthought, one might prospectively be able to rent a bungalow or cottage instead of buying it . . . with the thought being that you might save yourself the homeowner-incurred property and other taxes as an added expense to having such an adobe??? Or would one not really save too much overall in renting such a living space versus owning it instead?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 05:54 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
For all of you who would like to take a look at an egregious eyesore of the French Normandy variety, pop on over to Tanyard Lane in the Huntington Village area, in the neighborhood of Hillbrae which is directly off West Neck Road (.5 miles north on West Neck Rd. from 25A; Hillbrae is across from the Methodist Church).

On .33 acres is an ugly, 3-story, hip-roofed French chateau that is about 5500 sq. ft. being finished. They left one cement wall from the old basement of the 1400 sq. ft. house that was originally there, and are probably calling it a remodel. Yeah, right. It's too close to the street, and one corner is about 4 feet from the property line. This monstrosity is being built by the owners of a local custom home building company whose business address is in Huntington Village. Their sign is at the site.

Their foreman said they want to use the "house" as an example of their work to draw in customers. The foreman named Tom said the husband who's building this thing said he doesn't care about the neighbors and then did an imitation this unrefined builder's very offensive hand gesture that he made about the rest of the neighbors. Use your imagination. Quite obviously they have no regard for their future neighbors. Imagine a custom home building company who doesn't care about neighbors or neighborhoods. Not a good recommendation.

All of the houses surrounding it are from the 1950's, well-kept, charming, and built in different architectural styles since the neighborhood isn't a development. They were all custom built homes way back when. This huge house belongs on at least an acre, not a third of an acre.

I've tagged it the miniature Oheka.

I'm certainly glad I don't live across the street from it.
That's too bad. I always thought area was the nicest in Huntington. My parents almost moved to Tanyard when I was in HS but decided to stay put and remodel since the house I grew up in was paid off.

I would love to know the name of the company if you care to DM me.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,645,311 times
Quote:
I've seen so many pictures of them -- love them! I was on Cape Cod Sept 2013 with one of my antique cars and thought about taking the car over on the ferry in order to get pictures of it in front of the cottages. It was too expensive -- around $200 -- for a photo op.
I haven't been to Martha's Vineyard since about a dozen years ago. So now they get $200 just for car and driver round trip? That's pretty high.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
  1. Wherever one might find BUNGALOWS situated within Long Island or Queens at-large, I wonder how much such a small home would cost to buy compared to all the NON-bungalow homes in its same neighborhood/vicinity? For instance, if one spent $700,000 or $800,000 for a ranch or cape or a McMansion in Huntington Village or East Northport or East Meadow or Mineola or Port Washington or Long Beach or Amityville/South Amityville or Farmingdale or wherever else, how much would one save to instead buy a typical Sears 'Honor-Built' Catalog-type bungalow in the same neighborhood or town or vicinity?
  2. And do such bungalows, being smaller-sized, virtually always come on a notably-smaller plot of land (e.g., instead of an acre or even half an acre, they come on a quarter-acre or even less?
  3. If a person is single or else has their household consist of just themself and a marriage partner or significant other but no children in the household (or no children anymore, as their children are now all adults on their own), it seems to be a great way to live in a single-family detached home but to keep it very small and low-maintenance (instead of living in a rental apartment or owned condo or coop where you still share walls and/or floors and/or ceilings and/or common hallways, etc. with other tenants/strangers). A small-ish bungalow or cottage of some type would be ideal for me, and especially if it is otherwise not too too close to other adjoining homes . . . but then I understand that having a bungalow or cottage might entail having a whole cluster of them adjoining one another in a row (side-by-side-by-side-by-side-by-side, etc etc. and then maybe sometimes also with other bungalows or cottages in front and/or in back of your property as well).
  4. And would the property taxes and any other homeowner-incurred taxes still be similar to what other NON-bungalow/NON-cottage homes in the same area or vicinity or development are assessed?
(Then again, as an afterthought, one might prospectively be able to rent a bungalow or cottage instead of buying it . . . with the thought being that you might save yourself the homeowner-incurred property and other taxes as an added expense to having such an adobe??? Or would one not really save too much overall in renting such a living space versus owning it instead?)
You could find a bungalow or cottage in many LI communities -- especially those which are near the water. Some have been knocked down and replaced with bigger homes, some have been expanded, others left largely unmolested.

There are some here and there in my area of Stony Brook. If you were to look along 25A and north of it, you would find them intermingled with the much older homes. The area became a summer retreat over 100 years ago when city people came out for Stony Brook Association meetings. There's currently one listed on Hollow Rd which at $259K needs considerable work and is not for the faint of heart. My friend stumbled upon a fixer-upper a very short walk to the beach and village for under $200K (postage stamp lot) and in need of a lot of work. 224 Christian Ave was listed at $299K, .28 acre, busy road but close to the village and looks to need a little work (the paneling has to go, and someone butchered the fireplace.) Taxes are around $7K

In the older part of Stony Brook you will find bungalows and cottages on the same street as larger older homes. The prices do reflect the size of the home, size of the lot, and where the home is situated.

Smaller bungalows and cottages in the immediate area rent in the $2,100 and up range because of the proximity to SBU, the LIRR and the village. The question is whether the mortgage, HI, & taxes are more or less reasonable than renting. It's a rather personal decision. Nicer areas will command higher prices in terms of rental or sale.

With respect to renting: I had rented the front half of a bungalow in Islip Terrace 25 years ago before meeting my husband. It was a huge one bedroom, EIK, Living room and dining area. Much bigger than the place I moved into with my husband after we married.

We saved a lot of money renting a very small bungalow out in Rocky Point. VERY small. My husband fell into the situation when he was working at a neighboring house. We moved almost 20 years ago and purchased a cottage in Stony Brook.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:33 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,790 times
Quote:
You could find a bungalow or cottage in many LI communities -- especially those which are near the water. Some have been knocked down and replaced with bigger homes, some have been expanded, others left largely unmolested.

There are some here and there in my area of Stony Brook. If you were to look along 25A and north of it, you would find them intermingled with the much older homes. The area became a summer retreat over 100 years ago when city people came out for Stony Brook Association meetings. There's currently one listed on Hollow Rd which at $259K needs considerable work and is not for the faint of heart. My friend stumbled upon a fixer-upper a very short walk to the beach and village for under $200K (postage stamp lot) and in need of a lot of work. 224 Christian Ave was listed at $299K, .28 acre, busy road but close to the village and looks to need a little work (the paneling has to go, and someone butchered the fireplace.) Taxes are around $7K

In the older part of Stony Brook you will find bungalows and cottages on the same street as larger older homes. The prices do reflect the size of the home, size of the lot, and where the home is situated.

Smaller bungalows and cottages in the immediate area rent in the $2,100 and up range because of the proximity to SBU, the LIRR and the village. The question is whether the mortgage, HI, & taxes are more or less reasonable than renting. It's a rather personal decision. Nicer areas will command higher prices in terms of rental or sale.

With respect to renting: I had rented the front half of a bungalow in Islip Terrace 25 years ago before meeting my husband. It was a huge one bedroom, EIK, Living room and dining area. Much bigger than the place I moved into with my husband after we married.

We saved a lot of money renting a very small bungalow out in Rocky Point. VERY small. My husband fell into the situation when he was working at a neighboring house. We moved almost 20 years ago and purchased a cottage in Stony Brook.

Thank you for sharing the details of your personal life living situations. Useful insights into the dynamics of how it works or can work with trying to live in a bungalow or cottage on Long Island.

One aspect (amongst others) that I'd like about living in Stony Brook is that you have Stony Brook University Hospital located there. This is not simply just another hospital or some lower-end community hospital but rather a Level I Trauma Center hospital, so it can handle any emergency or trauma that comes to it without having to ship the patient off to some other hospital that can better or best handle the patient's situation. When one is in a serious emergency or trauma, time is or may be of the essence (i.e., any time wasted sending you from one hospital to a higher-capable hospital or being at a hospital that is not really equipped or set up to best handle your emergency or trauma situation can become a matter of life or death).

Ideally, I like living within reasonable (if not relatively close) proximity to a Level I Trauma Center hospital . . . though I "might" consider proximity to a Level II Trauma Center hospital but would prefer Level I proximity if I can. Unfortunately, in Suffolk County, that only means Stony Brook University Hospital (whereas in Nassau County, you have three Level I Trauma Centers). I believe I have noted, from what I read on the web, that each of the 5 boroughs of New York City presently have three Level I Trauma Centers each.

Last edited by UsAll; 12-14-2014 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island