Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times

Advertisements

I didnt have my first car til 21 and never had a cell phone til after I graduated college and that was only a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM

69 posts, read 93,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
There is no irony in avoiding 3 pages of what will ostensibly be the same post. Perhaps you should learn what the term means from a source other than that stupid Alanis Morrisette song.
Like I would know an Alanis Morrisette song. Yup...you are uber-entitled.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM
gag gag started this thread

683 posts, read 1,422,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I didnt have my first car til 21 and never had a cell phone til after I graduated college and that was only a decade ago.
You're the exception, not the rule.

You probably have your head screwed on correctly.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I was listening to a bunch off parents complain that their 5th graders has too much homework and how its such a drag on family life! Then they start talking about how they (the parents) just do the homework for the kids!!! Furthermore, they were asking each other how to make it look like the kid did the homework!!!! One mom said that "its too hard to make the homework look like the kid did it" so she does not hide the fact that she does it!!!!!!

AAAAHHHHHHH!

I wish I was creative enough to make this up!
My Kindergartener had to make a poster last month and half the posters from her classmates were obviously done by parents. I don't get it!

Anyway, to the OP, sounds like you handled the situation well. I was going to suggest you look for someone on the south shore should you want to donate the car. My aunt works outreach in RVC at St. Agnes and there are many people who lost their cars. My friend in Lindy lost her car and her home flooded.

When I was a teen I was thrilled to get the keys to the family minivan.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Long Island kids are so spoiled that aunts/uncles contemplate giving them cars for their high school graduation
Well, I didn't guess it was this bad as they were growing up, but this opened my eyes for sure.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Your brother's values (McMansion, iPhone 5, etc.) are seriously impeding his son and daughter's growth as responsible individuals.

Is it possible that your brother nixed the car as he wanted to 'give' his son the NEW Acura for appearances? After all, if he's doing the McMansion conversion, he probably wants his friends and neighbors to see his son sporting about in a new car he provided as opposed to a 15 year old used car from his uncle.

At least your nephew is working to help pay some of the expense. There's a chance yet for him.
You know, I didn't think of that possibility. Wow, if that's true, it's even worse, isn't it. Yea, he works part-time, but it's really like a spit in the ocean. I think he spends all that money on beer, and I think his parents let him drink at home even though he's 18. Next time I'm in, I'd like to take him out alone and have a talk, at least about the alcohol..

Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,911 times
I don't think it's a Long Island thing. Most kids in America are spoiled these days.

Even when you take the train through "supposedly" poor areas in other parts of the country, you see teens and kids on iphones/smartphones, true religion jeans, latest shoes/clothes and all kinds of stuff like that. Take the subway through the Bronx and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Extreme poverty in America is very very very rare whether most ppl are willing to admit it or not.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,226,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
I don't think it's a Long Island thing. Most kids in America are spoiled these days.

Even when you take the train through "supposedly" poor areas in other parts of the country, you see teens and kids on iphones/smartphones, true religion jeans, latest shoes/clothes and all kinds of stuff like that. Take the subway through the Bronx and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Extreme poverty in America is very very very rare whether most ppl are willing to admit it or not.
I'll agree with that slightly. Had a recent experience to visit OH to see some friends. Kids were up at dawn, did indoor and outdoor chores before breakfast. Came inside, chowed down and then went to school. This is apparently the norm out their way. Both kids have cell phones (not iPhones), and they share a farm truck to drive if they want to go out. This basically seems to be the norm out that way. I was jealous. Kids here, in general, suck.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
I'll agree with that slightly. Had a recent experience to visit OH to see some friends. Kids were up at dawn, did indoor and outdoor chores before breakfast. Came inside, chowed down and then went to school. This is apparently the norm out their way. Both kids have cell phones (not iPhones), and they share a farm truck to drive if they want to go out. This basically seems to be the norm out that way. I was jealous. Kids here, in general, suck.
Two kids out of how many for the state of Ohio? You mentioned and outdoor chores, driving in a farm truck...how many farm families are there in Nassau and most of Suffolk? I'm not disputing the fact that the two young people sound far more grounded and less materialistic than some of their LI based contemporaries, just that their situation is not so common here.

My niece and nephew are teens and live in a suburb of Jacksonville, FL which reminds me a lot of LI. The HS they are zoned for consistently places on the Top Schools list in the magazines. Lots of locals have lots of money, and my sibling is not one of them. Despite moving to a state whch (then) was known as being very affordable for northerners, they bought expensive for the community's cache and HS's reputation, forcing both her and her husband to work full time.

Their children are surrounded by kids who have everythng and who, going by this thread's definition of spoiled, are induldged beyond spoiled. While my neice and nephew are too young to drive, they have iPhones (not a 5) and tend to be label conscious. As a family they go on high end cruises, lease luxury cars, and try to keep up with the Richie Riches.

I don't get it. But then that isn't my style.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
My Kindergartener had to make a poster last month and half the posters from her classmates were obviously done by parents. I don't get it!

My kids' schools have solved this problem by having them make many projects and book reports, etc IN SCHOOL. It also teaches the kids time management because they have to fit the work into their school day. And as a parent I am more than happy not to have to oversee these projects!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island