Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 PM

334 posts, read 1,103,792 times

Advertisements

I thought that Rockville Centre was one of the nicer towns in Nassau, and South Shore High School is supposed to be one of the best schools? I've seen the neighborhood around Roxen Rd. and it's beautiful. So I was really surprised to read about this incident:

Nassau County and village police have arrested two 18-year-olds from Rockville Centre in connection with an assault by a group of five to eight young men who allegedly beat up a 43-year-old man on Roxen Road shortly before midnight this past Monday, sending him to the hospital with serious injuries.

Arrests in Rockville Centre assault - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping

UPDATE: Two SSHS Seniors Arrested, Charged for Roxen Road Gang Assault - Rockville Centre, NY Patch

The reader comments in the Patch article are really heated as well, complaints about gangs of drunken teens roaming the streets, calls for a curfew, "They bragged about beating up an old man on their facebook and twitter accounts. They told the man- no one can do anything to us!"

Any comments on this incident?

Last edited by gk90; 06-22-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 04:06 AM

151 posts, read 368,013 times
You mean White people in affluent neighborhoods commit violent crimes too? C'mon everyone, start calling them savages like you do when the crime is in a minority neighborhood...I dare ya!! lol

Old 06-23-2012, 04:09 AM

909 posts, read 1,839,740 times
Doesn't matter how nice the town is on LI. This is more of a reflection of how parenting in the last few decades has devolved. In the patch comments you had a mother defending these kids like if it were no big deal. These kids are lucky though and they will have top lawyers and most likely get probation and continue on with their lives where a less affluent neighborhood the kids would be vilified and the town would be described as going downhill.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,810,813 times
massapequa had gangs, they bled from the amityville posses in the 80s.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:32 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,882,275 times
There are alot of suburban gangs , most people in this region tend to either ignore the problem or downplay it as kids will be kids. On certain nights if you are walking on streets whether it be a posh NJ suburb or LI burb , there are teens and young adults that will try to start fights with you , harass you from there car , attack and rob you , or worse some people have been beatened to death and others left with brain damage... I don't blame the Urban areas for these gangs , which for the most part don't carry guns or deal drugs.... I blame the lack of parenting , and boredom for these suburban gangs which one day will probably merge with the Urban gangs. Hopefully by then Law Enforcement and parents will wake up and smell the coffee.. Ive already had rocks thrown at me....of course this was chalked up to kids being kids...but this was a gang of kids...it happened 3x last summer... So bad that i had to alter my commuting patterns...

Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 AM

So.... what the consensus so far is "boys will be boys"? Where's the venom? where are the calls for people to start moving out of RVC? Violent crime = less desirable element am I correct? Or is it a different kind of felony when committed by a person of color?

Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,981,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldyone View Post
So.... what the consensus so far is "boys will be boys"? Where's the venom? where are the calls for people to start moving out of RVC? Violent crime = less desirable element am I correct? Or is it a different kind of felony when committed by a person of color?
Dude we got it... Why do you keep bringing race into this? You are just as bad as the people you are criticizing.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-23-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Dude we got it... Why do you keep bringing race into this? You are just as bad as the people you are criticizing.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
I'm still waiting for the venom.. don't get mad because i'm right

Old 06-23-2012, 06:21 AM

20,135 posts, read 20,929,615 times
Get out of RVC before it's too late!!! Don't walk, run!!!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 AM

852 posts, read 1,445,303 times
These kids are garbage and their parents should be ashamed at the rotten job they did in raising them. The lesson for these knuckleheads is CHOICES have CONSEQUENCES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island