Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
I saw the same thing 30 years ago, when I graduated HS. Firebirds and Camaros being gifted to young, clueless, spoiled kids. I saw other students who bought nice cars only to go to work while a junior or senior to make payments and pay for gas for a muscle car. They had to work so many hours, they really were missing some of the 'high school' experience. It was like they were part time students and full-time menial workers. I think this is a Long Island thing, because my kids tell me the same thing about their classmates who are missing out on sports, clubs and other extra curriculars.

In my high school, we had one kid, a year behind me, whose parents gave him a 4.4 liter Trans Am, black with all of the graphics. This young man was known for racing around town in his ride. Three months after I graduated High School, he was killed in his 4.4 liter trans am. Sad.

My kids will not be getting muscle cars, especially with the college tuition bills I'm seeing. They get to share my '94 Saab, which was paid for in cash 19 years ago. I tell them it's a classic. And they tell me about their friends who are driving Jeep Wranglers, Camaros and Mustangs.

Life's a marathon, not a sprint. No need to be in a rush to drive your dream car. Earn it and you'll feel much better about such indulgences.
A few things wrong here but I get your point. Gas was only .99 cents a gallon so I doubt they were working all week to pay for gas. A 4.4 liter T/A which never existed but if it did it would be as slow as a slug! Even the 6.6 or the 7.5L which was pretty fast back in it's day would be a slow car in these times.

I do agree with your statement about kids getting muscle cars 85-89 It was all about the 5.0, Iroc's and Grand Nationals especially in Oceanside where I was from. It wasn't only limited to L.I. but it was popping up everywhere. We would run them in all 5 boros, N.J. Penn, Delaware, etc.

I've always been a big car buff since I was a child but that doesn't mean you "missed out" on anything. Played H.S. sports,worked,partied, and worked on all sorts of cars. Multi-tasking is easy when you're young and full of energy!

L.I. should have never got rid of it's tracks. It's a safe way for people especially the young ones to meet and safely run their cars. It's a blast to build something out of nothing or improve on something that comes from the factory. It's a labor or love!. Over the years I have built plenty of muscle cars( mostly GM's) and I agree they shouldn't be in the hands of young inexperience drivers unless it was in a controlled environment.

Funny about giving your kids the 94 Saab. Last summer a friend dump a 92 Nissan frame on me and I told my sons this is going to be your first car. They both laughed and said that POS. I finally finished the build out last week with mostly parts from a salvage yard. It runs great and can't wait to bring it to the VIR on April 1 to see what it runs. The kids will never drive it!

">

">
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island