Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 AM

57,382 posts, read 26,294,968 times

Advertisements

I can understand some residences that were never flooded before not carrying flood insurance, just don't understand how people that have already experienced flooding or living on a barrier island dropping their flood insurance.

Quote:
Fewer than half of the 95,500 buildings damaged in Nassau and Suffolk counties by superstorm Sandy were covered by flood insurance, federal statistics show, leaving thousands of Long Islanders dependent on government aid and their own resources as they struggle to rebuild.
Those roughly 52,400 uninsured homes, businesses and other structures probably will have sweeping implications for the recovery of storm-ravaged neighborhoods along the South Shore. Without insurance settlements to help rebuild, many owners are apt to deplete their savings, drive up debts and postpone repairs. Others may simply walk away, economists said.
Many Sandy-damaged homes lacked flood insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
I read that FEMA is taking payments for basic flood policies out of peoples' settlements. After that policy period, if they choose not to renew the policy they won't be eligible for federal aid if a future flood happens.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM

225 posts, read 716,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I read that FEMA is taking payments for basic flood policies out of peoples' settlements. After that policy period, if they choose not to renew the policy they won't be eligible for federal aid if a future flood happens.

I heard the same thing. Unfortunately, my family is in that boat. We reside in a flood zone, but never ever had a salt water flood. When the mortgage was paid off years back, the insurance was cancelled since we never flooded and didn't cover ground water from a rising water table during major rain storms. The insurance was pretty expensive too.

During Sandy, we were flooded with 4' of water and lost pretty much half of our house. Because we didn't have insurance we qualified for FEMA, but are now being forced to take insurance because if/when this does happen again, we wouldn't be granted aid.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,698,874 times
I am sorry for their loss, but I see that many houses were built without proper setback, too close together, not high enough above the high water mark, etc. A clear case of fraud with the people there that oversee these construction permits. The locals really need to study the new Dade County contruction guidelines in Florida.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,478,068 times
THEY SHOULD NOT GET A DIME!

Pay to play. No play, no pay. Tired of peoples complete lack of any sort of accountability.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 PM

106,831 posts, read 109,073,990 times
Welcome to america where those who make bad choices in all walks of life get rewarded. Those who do things responsibly and do the right thing get squat.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM

20,104 posts, read 20,910,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Welcome to america where those who make bad choices in all walks of life get rewarded. Those who do things responsibly and do the right thing get squat.
What he said.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I am sorry for their loss, but I see that many houses were built without proper setback, too close together, not high enough above the high water mark, etc. A clear case of fraud with the people there that oversee these construction permits. The locals really need to study the new Dade County contruction guidelines in Florida.

Yes for years, villages and towns allowed this development to occur with no oversight now they are asking for support from the Army Corp of Engineers to install dunes. Where was the concern when development expanded on the bay area, canal and the barrier islands.

Now they want to rebuild homes in Fire Island, Long Beach, Breezy Point, I understand some people have no choice but many are just ignoring the obvious changes that are occuring.

Interseting article on a home buyouts from a community in Staten Island

Quote:

During the hurricane, stormwaters topped out at 10 feet outside his house, and six feet inside. His tenants lost all of their belongings, except for the ones they put on a mattress that floated to the ceiling. They have since moved to Arkansas, and Tirone has gutted his building to the studs. He is not planning to rebuild.
Instead, he, along with many of his neighbors, wants the federal government to buy them out, effectively erasing the neigbhorhood and returning it to nature.
There's a federal program, run by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, that actually underwrites that sort of thing. It's called the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, and according to the state Division of Homeland Security, it has been used successfully upstate to deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Irene, but never before in New York City.......
White flag over Fox Beach: A coastal community considers a permanent retreat from the water | Capital New York

Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
I heard the same thing. Unfortunately, my family is in that boat. We reside in a flood zone, but never ever had a salt water flood. When the mortgage was paid off years back, the insurance was cancelled since we never flooded and didn't cover ground water from a rising water table during major rain storms. The insurance was pretty expensive too.

During Sandy, we were flooded with 4' of water and lost pretty much half of our house. Because we didn't have insurance we qualified for FEMA, but are now being forced to take insurance because if/when this does happen again, we wouldn't be granted aid.

I know a family in Long Beach, 1 block from the ocean on the west end, paid off their mortgage and dropped their flood insurance even though they could well afford, flooded first floor of a 2 story house and received $32K grant from FEMA, is that fair.

Anyway they are taking flood insurance from his funds, too little too late.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 PM
sci

90 posts, read 224,348 times
Default No Insurrance

The people who did not pay for the flood insurance should not get a dime. Can I drop my car insurance then get into an accident and insure my after the accident and tell them to take the premium out of my settlement check.....that would go over like a lead balloon. Does anyone remember a few years ago upstate I believe, that people had a house and called the fire dept. When they came they said sorry you did not pay for fire service and let the house burn but kept the neighbors house watered down because he paid for fire protection. Seems to me to be the same thing. You have a choice to pay for a service and reap the possible rewards or pay nothing and get nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island