Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,563,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
My bozo neighbor without insurance got his $32k check on the spot within a few days from those awesome folks at fema. I'm beginning to believe I'm the clown because I have insurance and still haven't recieved any money yet. The rate things are going I'll be the one with the boarded up house.
That is absolutely crazy! Again, why have insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,492,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Flood Insurance is subsidized. Owners only pay 1/3 the prem they should pay.

FEMA if it had its choice would rather pay out to folks without flood insurance.

Average person near me got like 150K from Flood Insurance and folks without flood got 31,900

Which means the folks with Flood got a 100K handout and folks with Flood got a 31,900 handout.

In reality folks with flood should have got 50K and folks without would have got zero.

But that would have caused massive foreclosures and bankruptcies and created tent towns like rural india. So govt helped the folks out, that is what americans do

Old 05-20-2013, 02:06 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,188,724 times
That's what our brain dead government does to encourage stupid behavior and to waste money by not charging enough for the risk.

Quote:
Before 1950 flood insurance was part of the standard homeowner’s insurance policy. During the 1950s increasingly high correlation of losses by holders of flood policies of the same company caused many insurance companies to begin excluding flood coverage from standard insurance policies, selling flood insurance separately. Over time, insurance premiums collected were insufficient in covering payouts after major flooding events. In the 1960s flood insurance became completely unprofitable and private companies no longer offered flood insurance policies. This meant that the costs of floods were borne by property owners, many of which could not afford such high disaster costs. The government provided public disaster aid to affected property owners. In 1968, the National Flood Insurance Act established the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which allows property owners to purchase insurance from the U.S. government that covers certain losses from flooding. The intended purpose of the program was to reduce the overall costs of floods by incentivizing flood risk management and to pool flood risks nationally to lessen the blow to individuals hit by major floods. This insurance is not set by the market risk valuation. It is less expensive than the private insurance company rate would be. This is accomplished either by the program running a deficit and borrowing money or by subsidies from the national government. Either way, the property owners with NFIP policies are receiving government subsidies to live in areas with high flood risk.
So unless you're a farmer or fisherman there's not much reason for me to have to subsidize a person wanting a view of the ocean.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,800,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Yep. It is crazy. We are in the same boat. After Sandy, our basement flooded from floor to ceiling. H paid out of pocket for new HW heater, furnace, washer and dryer, plus Sheetrock installation. We just finished installing ceramic floor tiles as well. Total cost we shelled out was around $20K. FEMA has given us ZIP, just a $5K "advance" that was released as an emergency measure 3 weeks after the storm. We had 3 different adjusters call within the last 2 months asking us for pictures (which they should already have since the first adjuster took them right after Sandy!). Then we had another adjuster call and ask for more info (even though we already gave them the same info!). Oh, and did I mention I work for a large ins company that also underwrites a ton of flood ins policies across the US?? yeah. Irony at its finest.

I joked to DH that we will finally get a FEMA check the day after we sell the house...in 2015!

Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 AM

20,319 posts, read 21,198,083 times
I couldn't wait for this flooding to happen! When I bought my house and found out it was in a flood zone and that I needed to have a flood policy I wanted to get my money's worth out of the premium so now I feel vindicated! And now that the rates are going up I hope we have more frequent flooding to justify the additional cost. I had a blast during the hurricane, it was really exciting, like an adventure. We were having so much fun that even after the power came back on we left the breakers off an additional week. I love disaster movies so the whole experience was awesome. Hopefully all the doom-n-gloom people are right and we will have more frequent flooding and even worse than Sandy! Good times!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM

4,707 posts, read 8,812,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
So unless you're a farmer or fisherman there's not much reason for me to have to subsidize a person wanting a view of the ocean.
I totally understand this point of view, however there's a million things we subsidize that have nothing to do with us.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,188,724 times
And that doesn't make any of them right.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,492,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my feeling too. im tired of the tax payer footing the bill for folks who made bad choices.

why does my tax money i pay have to go to pay for those who chose to save money on insurance . especially when they knowingly live close to the water whether they have not to date had a flood or not.

you gamble you lose.

FYI most folks did not live near water. For instance my area was put into a flood zone in 2009. Homes that were 80 year old never saw a drop of flood in their lives.

FEMA/NFIP only put folks with mortgages at that time into flood insurance and never even notified the mainly older folks they were now in a flood zone.

I asked FEMA/NFIP about that and point blank they told me pre-firm older homes are subsidized with their flood insurance they dont encourage or tell folks without a mortgage to get flood as it is a loss leader.

conforming mortgages that are written ed by uncle sam, freddie/fannie/fha/va flood insurance is required as home is collateral on mortgage and they dont want their collateral washed away.

Most old folks who owned house outright who were 1-2 miles from beach, who had a 30 year mortgage that was long paid off had no clue this was coming and some even thought this was covered by homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island