Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM

22,784 posts, read 37,220,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
It is hard especially now with newer teachers getting excessed left and right over the last few years due to the economy. It isnt impossible to get a teaching job without a "hook" though (although it certainly helps!). My wife didnt know anyone and got a job in a public school district, after lots and lots of applications and years working in a charter school.

Oh - oh - the truth comes out!! GRAVY TRAIN!!! J/K I tend to agree with CSK on this. There is a deeper problem at work here than "I just want to be near my family" - she's simply extremely immature, and he's always going to have to live with that. It's one thing to be in your 40s and say you don't want to leave, it's another to be 23 and completely unrealistic. Guarantee this girl will also want a 2 carat engagement ring, $50K wedding and a McMansion before she ties the knot.

Someone on this board described LIers as "emotional cripples" when it comes to their families (and it wasn't an ex-pat) - it was a perfect description. I've never seen anything like it TBH, now that I live out of state with mostly other transplants. The only people I know who EVER cry about their families not being around are Long Islanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,076,682 times
Did she major in either Math or Physics?

I'm guessing, probably not.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM

181 posts, read 448,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Did she major in either Math or Physics?

I'm guessing, probably not.
specialized in math education.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM

573 posts, read 1,251,676 times
Has she tried the NYC Teaching Fellows? Or is she only willing to work in a LI district? Fellows is still tough to get in but worth a shot, especially if her specialty is math.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:33 PM

886 posts, read 2,662,248 times
What is this the Dear Abby section of CD now?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM

6,400 posts, read 13,258,935 times
Or a English major.

Alot of schools looking for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Has she tried the NYC Teaching Fellows? Or is she only willing to work in a LI district? Fellows is still tough to get in but worth a shot, especially if her specialty is math.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:45 PM

156 posts, read 451,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Fellows won't take you with an education degree. However, I do agree with you about teaching in the city. With a math cert, she has a fighting chance to get a job (although it is still very hard). My school just hired someone who was subbing on LI for 6 years and finally realized it wasn't going to happen.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM

77 posts, read 166,061 times
Working as a TA (teachers assistant) for a few years or working as a coach AND being a graduate of that district AND/OR having a "strong connection" is really the only way in to most districts these days.
Most college graduates with a 4 year teaching degree or their Masters aren't willing to work as a TA, but honestly that's pretty much your only way to a permanent teaching job now. There are plenty of people retiring and being offered early retirement packages but then there are so many that have been laid off over the past 2 years that they are hired back first before any new hires. Also most districts hire from within, meaning qualified TAs that have been working for 2 years or longer are next to be hired. Being on the "sub list" means nothing unless you are also coaching a sport in the district, then if you're lucky they may offer you a TA position and then eventually a full time teaching position. Ultimately being a graduate of the district or being a family member of a long time employee is really your only way in even as a coach or TA. There are ALWAYS exceptions but they are uncommon. My friend was hired as a HS math teacher in Copiague years back and she had no connection, but other people turned the position down because of the district. Another friend has been working as a preschool teacher for years waiting to be hired by a public elementary school.
Good luck to your girlfriend. Her best bet is applying for a TA position in the district she graduated from.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM

5,425 posts, read 4,165,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
With the budget caps now for NY more and more teaching jobs are going to get eliminated. Best bet is hoping people retire, thats pretty much the only way anyone is getting a teaching job these days. Even then the chances are super slim.
On top of that, Long Island is experiencing declining enrollment.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 PM

156 posts, read 305,895 times
As an out of work teacher myself, with a master's and 3 years teaching experience,I will tell you that there are ZERO teaching positions available to newly graduated teachers. I graduated several years ago and have worked extremely hard to find a full time position and I have not been able to do so. I worked in Brookyln for 2 years in terrible areas and these are the only schools that are hiring. They have a high turnover and are hiring teachers all the time. She could apply to one of these schools, but not everyone is cut out for it. It is more like babysitting than teaching, and that is from my experience and plenty of other teachers I know have said the same thing. Having a special education degree can help. She could work for a private agency, working 1 on 1 as a SEIT teacher. This position pays very well and it is great experience. No benefits but great $. I am currently working as a nanny, and its the next best thing to being a teacher. I found a great family that values my credentials and experience. They pay me accordingly and treat me great. I am thankful to have this job and highly recommend this path for any out of work teachers that need full time work and pay. Subbing is not and option or tutoring, because as you know...living on Long Island is expensive and part time work just does not cut it. I say...find a full time job and in the meantime she can still look for work and send resumes (if she feels hopeful...sorry to be a downer, but its true and it is definitley not easy to accept). There are many families looking for full time nannies, specifically that are out of work teachers. Best of Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island