Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 AM

200 posts, read 457,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIguy257 View Post
Today was "night and day" from the last week. Even yesterday I got gas at 2PM on 110/conklin in Farmingdale (hugely busy intersection) with zero line (I drove past it initially and just assumed it was out, as I've gotten used to doing). Drove around a lot today and saw a BUNCH of open stations with no lines. The was all in Suffolk--the one station I saw in Nassau did have a line, but it looked like maybe 1/2 hour as opposed to five years. It's just weird because 48 hours earlier a functioning gas station with no line = a myth.
Right across from the movie theater right?

Yeah me too...my thoughts were if there isn't a line, that gas station doesn't have gas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 AM

78 posts, read 204,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
queens and brooklyn have their main distributor destroyed , motiva.

without them the jersey , CT and long island distributors are trying to fill the gap but cant . it takes 3 hours a tanker truck to get them out so they are limited.

shorter lines in places has nothing to do with rationing as its not rationing at all.

all it is doing is taking the daily que of mixed plates that are on line at a limited number of gas stations and changing the mix of plates but there are still the same number of people to fill and not enough gas.

in westchester as of yesterday they have no lines and no odd/even. they just have more stations now sharing the load.

if every day the line is a 50/50 mix of plates and its 2,000 cars long all we are doing with odd or even is taking the 1,000 even that would have been on line anyway in the mixed plates and added tomorrows bunch of 1000 even plates to todays line instead of tomorrows.

nothing changed but we are supposed to feel better so we dont go back on the line again this week to top off eventually shortning the line.

in our feeble minds they expect us to go ,oh the line should be 1/2 as long now but they never figure those who now cant go on tomorrows line like they planned will be added to our line today.

idiots!...

well no one feels better here in the city and every opportunity someone sees a short line they will jump on it creating longer l9ines to top off while they can.

i couldnt believe the station in bayside near us was open at 2:30am. had a ten minute wait and within 4 minutes of hitting gas buddy the line was 90 minutes long.
It's the psychosis of it. I agree it's not rationing at all; but what it does accomplish is keeping people off the line that may have been topping off every day because of some type of fear complex.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM

107,338 posts, read 109,727,924 times
So far we are all topping off every chance we get as long as we can.

No telling if you will have the gas, the time or the place to even fuel up,

I know a quarter tank buys me another 2 days i can get to work.

So far nothing changed here in the city with so many stations off line.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 AM

185 posts, read 229,849 times
Stop topping off every chance you get you panicky Pete.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 AM

As soon as we stop waiting on the 1-1/2 hour lines only to find out they have no fuel left ill keep it in mind.

That will end once more stations open and pump. Until then we are all doing whatever it takes to keep working.

There are so few stations pumping there is no guarantee you can even get gas when you need it if you wait.

Its catch as you can right now.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-11-2012 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,086,682 times
Was out on the road today. Many stations had gas and little or no line. Long Island is definitely easing but looking at gas buddy, the city is still struggling.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Struggling isnt the word. Fuel is almost impossible to get today in bayside.

Ill get gas in long island during the week. Just wait until all us city folk visit your stations.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,500,552 times
Quote:
So far we are all topping off every chance we get as long as we can.

No telling if you will have the gas, the time or the place to even fuel up,

I know a quarter tank buys me another 2 days i can get to work.

So far nothing changed here in the city with so many stations off line.
Quote:
Struggling isnt the word. Fuel is almost impossible to get today in bayside.

Ill get gas in long island during the week. Just wait until all us city folk visit your stations.
Hmmm, causal relationship?

If you live in Bayside, then you also know that the driving in the immediate area has gotten worse, not better. Bell Blvd. and Northern Blvd. have been mobbed since Sandy. I personally have seen people drive three or four blocks instead of walking.
Maybe if the psychos that live in and around Bayside got off their giant rumps and out of their car/homes for a minute, it wouldn't be as bad. Take a walk around the area on the weekend and see how many empty parking spaces and driveways are empty that are full on weeknights.
As always, North Queens and its Entitlement Queens create problems.

By the way, the lines, while they exist, as close as Little Neck, are shorter, better managed and better behaved than the animals in Bayside.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM

your talking to the wrong people my friend. we are daily joggers and gym rats ourselves who do little driving around town. i commute for a living..

besides its not for you to comment on other peoples lifestyles anyway because painting every one with a broad brush means crap..

Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,086,682 times
Please stay in your utopian bayside for gas. Long islanders need their gas. You dont. You can jog to work. Perhaps you are one of those joggers that drive to their favorite park to run. Dont worry I understand that irony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island