Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 PM

23 posts, read 89,897 times

Advertisements

I have a question that I'm hoping maybe someone can help me with. I'm from Long Island originally...and I remember watching OLD movies with my parents on Saturday nights back in the late 1970's through the mid 1980's. We didn't have cable. For some reason, I was thinking these were featured on Channel 11...only now I'm not so sure, and maybe it was actually Channel 5 or Channel 9. Does anyone remember which of those channels featured old movies on Saturday nights in back then? I know this is probably impossible, but if I can figure out which channel, I'd love to get listings of the movies that were shown somehow...my father, long since passed away, talked about one of the old movies (from the 1930's or early 1940's) that was filmed in NY (I know, many probably were) with either a tunnel or bridge, that his father was in the background of that particular shot. (Yes, how vague can I possibly be?!)
I know I'm grasping at straws, but I figured what the heck, may as well ask.
Also if anyone has any ideas about tracking down a picture of an old parking garage....my grandpa and his brothers owned a parking garage in the city at 356-360 W. Broadway between Grand and Broome Streets, The Dour Brothers Garage, probably in the late 1920's and 1930's. No one is left from that generation to ask...and all I have are handed down stories about its location, and how so many of the NYC policemen used to like to congregate and visit at the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingny View Post
Also if anyone has any ideas about tracking down a picture of an old parking garage....my grandpa and his brothers owned a parking garage in the city at 356-360 W. Broadway between Grand and Broome Streets, The Dour Brothers Garage, probably in the late 1920's and 1930's. No one is left from that generation to ask...and all I have are handed down stories about its location, and how so many of the NYC policemen used to like to congregate and visit at the garage.
You might want to post this on the NYC forum as well to get more responses

Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 PM

206 posts, read 570,574 times
When I was a kid, Long Island was nothing but truck farms so by the '70's and '80's I had lost interest in TV.

Remember lots of late night movie shows on the NY channels as well as the ones floating in from Philly, NJ and CT, but the names are gone.

One of the great sites to find/download/watch old movies for free is archive.org. They go back to silent and even into the late 1800's.

If you listen to the old movies carefully, you will hear the familiar NY accent from nearly everyone in it.

Thousands, yes, thousands of movies were made in the NYC area. Unlike today, the studios rolled them out non-stop back in the day. NYC has had, from the beginning, a motion picture office to facilitate movie making.

Vague answer for your vague question.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Channel 9 had lots of movies...........Channel 11 would too after midnight..

Channel 5.. movies more on the weekends if my memory is serving me.

I miss those old B&W movies.............."Million Dollar Movie"...."The Late Show"... The Late Late Show"........

Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
We also never had cable, I think my folks got it in the 90's...lol

Channel 9 is WWOR out of Secausus NJ, Channel 11 is WPIX in NY I remember they would show the Yule Log burning at Gracie Mansion on Christmas Day. I remember Channel 5 would show Wonderama on Sunday I don't remember which was the movie channel but I think 9 would show Chiller Theater on Saturday night.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
We also never had cable, I think my folks got it in the 90's...lol

Channel 9 is WWOR out of Secausus NJ, Channel 11 is WPIX in NY I remember they would show the Yule Log burning at Gracie Mansion on Christmas Day. I remember Channel 5 would show Wonderama on Sunday I don't remember which was the movie channel but I think 9 would show Chiller Theater on Saturday night.

Ch 9 had the harness racing from 11-12 then wrestling from 12-1am then came Fright Night. Remember all those Crazy Eddie commercials Ch 5 had Creature Feature and Ch 11 had Chiller Theater

Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
For old photos, check out the New York Public Library. They have a lot of digitalized photos to view online. New York City has its own photo archives department. There was a website where you could view them online. Also they used to show them on a program on channel 22 for a while.

I think that Million Dollar Movie (channel 9) and all the late show and late late show variations where they showed B&W movies started to fade away by 1980 or so. After that, the "late show" became either a rerun of a made for TV movie (probably with Valerie Bertinelli, lol) or a Jake and the Fatman or TJ Hooker rerun.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM

103 posts, read 200,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingny View Post
I have a question that I'm hoping maybe someone can help me with. I'm from Long Island originally...and I remember watching OLD movies with my parents on Saturday nights back in the late 1970's through the mid 1980's. We didn't have cable. For some reason, I was thinking these were featured on Channel 11...only now I'm not so sure, and maybe it was actually Channel 5 or Channel 9. Does anyone remember which of those channels featured old movies on Saturday nights in back then? I know this is probably impossible, but if I can figure out which channel, I'd love to get listings of the movies that were shown somehow...my father, long since passed away, talked about one of the old movies (from the 1930's or early 1940's) that was filmed in NY (I know, many probably were) with either a tunnel or bridge, that his father was in the background of that particular shot. (Yes, how vague can I possibly be?!)
I know I'm grasping at straws, but I figured what the heck, may as well ask.
If you google 356 W Broadway, NY...and look at the "street view" on Google Maps, that location is actually still a parking garage. I used to work down in that area every day in 1985/86. There was a harware store, Al Charyn, between Prince and Spring that we went to for material every day (I was in construction at the time). This is also the area where poor Etan Patz disappeared in 1979. Can't remember too much specific about the area, honestly. If you go down there, you might meet an old-timer or two who remembers specifics and could offer more help. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Ch 9 had the harness racing from 11-12 then wrestling from 12-1am then came Fright Night. Remember all those Crazy Eddie commercials Ch 5 had Creature Feature and Ch 11 had Chiller Theater
Your memory is better than mine but it's 30+ years for me. Crazy Eddie was great I think I still have a turntable from his store...

Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Your memory is better than mine but it's 30+ years for me. Crazy Eddie was great I think I still have a turntable from his store...
Lol 30+ years for you also equals 30+ years for me. But yes I have an excellent memory. But I know what you meant, you're a little older than me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: