Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 16,462 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm in the process of selecting a contractor to do oil to gas.

so far these are the only two companies that gotten back to me.
are the following: so i'm wondering if anyone here used them before?

1. philip bambino plumbing & heating?
  2. Williston plumbing & heating?
Cornetta bros, Cilento Pipeline and Burder King never gotten back to me after multiple calls.

I guess they don't want my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Hmmm... we used Cornetta for everything when we lived on Long Island. But they are busy at this time of year. We had our conversion done in May.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,743 times
we used Bel-Mar Oil Co.. They did a good job.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:22 PM

245 posts, read 495,529 times
This is the busy season for burner/plumbering companies with cleanings and tune ups.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,602 times
Like the other users said. If you call now you pay the premium. If you wait until May/June you may even see drop in price as some companies try to make sure their regular crew gets stedy work so they don't loose them and would do the job without making much of a profit.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,743 times
Ah, I overlooked the fact that it's the "busy" season for them.

Contractors are pretty simple minded for the most part. They don't look to far into the future to care when work is steady. That's why they are not calling you back. After all, they work with their hands, not with their heads.

There are some great guys out there, but with so many other companies out there it's hard to weed out to poor ones.

I had a floor guy call me 2 months after I asked for an estimate. "Hey, do you still need your floors done?" Yea, I do, but call me back in 2 more months and we can set up an appointment maybe even 2 months after that. Bye.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,737 times
I have used Gramman for plumbing and while they seemed to do good work, their prices were exorbitant. Of course, does anyone know a plumber that does not overcharge these days? Most charge you three figures to walk in the door and then, instead of charging by the hour, they have a book with "standard" rates.

If anyone does know a good plumber who charges fair prices, please post it on here. I'm not looking to get something for nothing, just decent work without being overcharged.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Like the other users said. If you call now you pay the premium. If you wait until May/June you may even see drop in price as some companies try to make sure their regular crew gets stedy work so they don't loose them and would do the job without making much of a profit.

I say it depends. it depends on the type of company you're calling and depends on how tthey run their business.
Don't call them now since they're busy getting maintance done for winter.
Don't call them in winter since they're busy on emergency calls etc.
Don't call them in spring since its the after winter rush to start renovations
don't call them in the summer since that is renovation peak season
then you're back in the fall again

if you're talking strictly oil to gas converrsion perople like burner king then yes after the winter is probably a more slow season. but general plumbers seem to have something going on all the time.

in general small contrators are notoriiosly bad at the business side of things, returning phone calls, making appointments, keeping deadlines. Unfortunately, generally the larger ones that have an office and people handling that stuff can be pricey, and you have to balance your need for getting the work done now vs cost. Then there are the bad contractors who are available tomorrow to do the job. sometimes its happenstance that they have availability so soon... sometimes they're just crappy and desperate.......

Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM

49 posts, read 96,019 times
Call Cornetta again and tell them that you need to speak to Joe for the conversion.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akascorpio View Post
Hello All,

I'm in the process of selecting a contractor to do oil to gas.

so far these are the only two companies that gotten back to me.
are the following: so i'm wondering if anyone here used them before?

[LIST=1][*]philip bambino plumbing & heating?[*]Williston plumbing & heating?[/LIST]Cornetta bros, Cilento Pipeline and Burder King never gotten back to me after multiple calls.

I guess they don't want my money.
Yes, Philip Bambino converted my oil to gas. Excellent plumber and crew did the job without a single problem. I only recommend people that do great work and Bambino is the choice I would make for any plubming or gas conversions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island