Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM

384 posts, read 434,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Still better than points and an increase in car insurance
Absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 PM

214 posts, read 459,221 times
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and the Long Island Sound Study have teamed up to offer a few Stewardship Days along the Sound.
Our next event will be held at Orient Beach State Park in Orient, NY on Saturday, Sept 8th at 9AM (rain date: Sept 9th). We will be planting native trees throughout the park to improve the habitat for wildlife. Be sure to wear long pants, and bring work gloves, sunscreen, and bug spray.* We’ll meet in the parking lot by the park building (on the right on your way down to the beach).

You can also register at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...wtdHc6MQ#gid=0.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:26 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Absolutely!
Dont assume that because your "sentence" was community service that your auto insurer will not find out you were convicted of excess speeding. Friend of mine, who lives in Queens, got nailed for doing 86 in a 65. Progressive jacked his premium up from $2500 to $4500.

I explained to him the need to obey traffic laws as his checkbook was drained.

If your record is fairly clean many insurers will let a minor ticket go..but excess speed and dwi they dont want to hear about.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Years ago I got nailed for speeding on Sunrise heading to Southampton. I got the same ; probably the fine was $125 and 7 hours of community service. I did mine at a food pantry in Riverhead. At that time, the court would give you a list of places that you can go to and they will sign it when you are done.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Points, comm service AND a $300 fine?!? Sorry, but that's the worst "plea bargain" in history.
Repeat offender I presume? Were you just speeding or also driving like a nut? Sounds like they threatened a 10pt "driving to endanger."

BTW folks, unless you have a bad record already, 2 points will not make a significant impact on your insurance. It's based on your overall score which needs to be under 15. Over 15 and your rates go up. You can also take defensive driving (online now as well) and knock the points off.

A 1st time offender who is polite and contrite can get an 80mph ticket knocked down to 2 pts (from 6pts) and $100 fine. Then do the class and it's just a $100 fine plus the cost of the class ($30). Repeat offenders are at the mercy of the judge. If you are sentenced to comm svce, you are probably pretty close to getting your license suspended and already paying some hefty insurance premiums.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 AM

384 posts, read 434,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Points, comm service AND a $300 fine?!? Sorry, but that's the worst "plea bargain" in history.
Repeat offender I presume? Were you just speeding or also driving like a nut? Sounds like they threatened a 10pt "driving to endanger."

BTW folks, unless you have a bad record already, 2 points will not make a significant impact on your insurance. It's based on your overall score which needs to be under 15. Over 15 and your rates go up. You can also take defensive driving (online now as well) and knock the points off.

A 1st time offender who is polite and contrite can get an 80mph ticket knocked down to 2 pts (from 6pts) and $100 fine. Then do the class and it's just a $100 fine plus the cost of the class ($30). Repeat offenders are at the mercy of the judge. If you are sentenced to comm svce, you are probably pretty close to getting your license suspended and already paying some hefty insurance premiums.
Not true at all. It is my first ticket ever.
I don't understand why it is necessary to assume the worst!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Not true at all. It is my first ticket ever.
I don't understand why it is necessary to assume the worst!
Because I got a ticket for 76 in a 55 and got $100 + 2pts. The morning I sat there in court, most (except the non-english speaking cab drivers) got similar reductions in penalties. Comm service is usually reserved for DWI's or 10pt "driving to endanger" infractions. Maybe we had a nice judge, who knows. Curious if anyone else on here ever got comm. service for speeding (not in a school or construction zone, etc).

People do not realize it but if they are pleading guilty to a lesser infraction, they can negotiate. The court doesn't want it to go further, they want to collect $ and move on. That is why they offer the deal in the 1st place. I battled to get mine to 0 pts and the judge actually said "I can drop it to 2pts, that's the best I can do....there is no way I can do 0 pts at 20mph over...I can drop the fine to $100 but the pts stay at 2. If you take defensive driving, they will be removed." Even court is negotiable. It was a business transaction. My leadfooted, moneybags former boss used to send his lawyer down. Lawyers go to the front of the docket for one, and then he'd swing a deal in 1 minute. Guy sped so much he should have had a lifetime suspension. Instead he paid less than you and me.

Well actually he paid more, but it was to the lawyer, not the court.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
If you obeyed the law and drove 55 you wouldnt be dealing with court..

Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
If you obeyed the law and drove 55 you wouldnt be dealing with court..
Is that from a fortune cookie?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:35 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,563 times
Quote:
They are pretty strict out in Riverhead. I was going 80 on the LIE.
it is either comunity service or 2 points off license with a fine.
Quote:

I read Limaman's post as meaning he had a choice between community service or points on his license, not both.

Mongoose do you work in auto insurance? That just doesn't sound right re: the 15 points, you get your license suspended at 11 points. The law says otherwise (they CAN raise premiums), but I am not privy to the internal workings of auto insurance companies so they may not.

Here's the dmv's point breakdown: NYS DMV - Driver License, Learner Permit and Non-Driver Photo ID Card

and here's the law re: raising premiums for vehicle and traffic law violations: N.Y. ISC. LAW § 2335 : NY Code - Section 2335: Motor vehicle liability insurance rates; prohibition of surcharges for certain traffic infractions

It says insurers can raise the premium if you go more than 15mph over the speed limit - 11-20 mph over is only 4 points, so if I go 17 mph over, I only get 4 points but can get my premium raised. There's also a provision that says if you get 2 or more moving violations the premium can be raised.

Never fun to deal with this stuff, I just try to stay with the flow of traffic and blend in with the pack, that's seemed to work so far, though when my wife (then gf) and I drove cross country with our ny plates we were very careful to always stay at the speed limit even when local drivers were passing us.

Last edited by unctorious; 08-29-2012 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: spaced out two sentences for clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island