Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:14 PM

10 posts, read 13,760 times

Advertisements

Hey, my name is Mike im new here. This seems like a great place with a wealth of info. Seemed like the best place to ask this.

A little background, I grew up in the same house on Long Island, without getting too specific I am in Nassau county. My mother has been in foreclosure for now a little over a year. The bank keeps pushing back the court date and the uncertainty is killer. My family is all gone down to Florida, my father is still here (because he isnt ready to retire) and it's just me, my mother and my brother living in a 5 bedroom home and it's not as simple as a short sale and relocate. My mom wants to stay here.

I make decent money here as a mechanic ($41,000 salary) and I work alot of hours just to save up for that day the Moderator cut: language removed

There's just not much to do here on Long Island. I have thought of two places to move; Palm Beach County, Florida or some suburb in San Diego County.

I guess im kind of looking for somewhere that actually has nice surf spots, the freedom to head out on some trails on a few dirt bikes, campfires on the beach, some good night life to actually meet people, all within a reasonable distance from a suburb. Long Island just doesn't have any of this, they're so uptight with everything. Even all my friends have left here.

Im 22 years old and I guess im just a little nervous about all of this, I have been given a huge burden. I know I will sink with the ship in this home. Is there any reason I should stay?! I used to love Long Island, but im just so fed up.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-12-2012 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:27 PM

179 posts, read 494,231 times
go! go! GO GO GO!!!! you're SO young - get out there and experience something different! if you don't... you'll regret it. (plus, it kinda sounds like you've already made up your mind... you just want a push from us!)

Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,415,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLara View Post
go! go! GO GO GO!!!! you're SO young - get out there and experience something different! if you don't... you'll regret it. (plus, it kinda sounds like you've already made up your mind... you just want a push from us!)
I don't have time to write much but I agree with the above poster. Make the move now while you're young. You're at the perfect age to do it - before your life gets complicated by intimate relationships, marriage, kids, jobs, etc. I finally made the leap when I was twice your age and it was the best thing I ever did, however, it was much more complicated than it would've been had I done it at 22. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLara View Post
Haha yea you're definately right. Making a move for me would be so simple. I have no expenses, I bought everything cash and own it all. I could so easily sell my motorcycle and have $10,000 cash to make any move I need (not selling my jet ski! too much surf in Cali!). And definately more by the time is right to move.. Rent a small uhaul truck with car trailer and drive. I've done it before for other people.

I am definately staying here until the end, my mom does need the support and it may take a while before the bank makes a decision. So I have plenty of time to figure out where I want to go. I may book a 5 day vacation in August for San Diego and check it out.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM

327 posts, read 1,064,130 times
Get out of here you wont be missing much, Long Island is a good area when your ready to settle down with a family.

Just an FYI if your planning on leaving because its too expensive. California's government is in a in a even bigger mess then NY. Their pension system is going to bankrupt the state. San Diego is one of the most expensive cities in the country. But it is one of my favorite cities besides Austin TX.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 PM

77 posts, read 164,877 times
California is amazing no matter where you live, but especially along any of the coasts. Been all over California. My favorites are Huntington Beach and Santa Monica. Never been to San Diego but I'm sure it's amazing!
I lived in Fort Lauderdale in the early 90's and just never liked it very much.
Never met anyone that didn't love California! Good luck to you!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
Get out of here you wont be missing much, Long Island is a good area when your ready to settle down with a family.

Just an FYI if your planning on leaving because its too expensive. California's government is in a in a even bigger mess then NY. Their pension system is going to bankrupt the state. San Diego is one of the most expensive cities in the country. But it is one of my favorite cities besides Austin TX.
I don't mind paying the extra cost of living as long as it's paradise. Long Island is like paying $20 for a meal at a restaurant and ya get a hot dog. After looking at a few areas over there on craigslist, the rent is about the same as Long Island when it comes to 1 BR apartments.. And they look nicer..

Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 PM

128 posts, read 251,601 times
No offense, but $41k is poverty on li. You are competing with, and paying the salaries of 6-figure salary public servants. I would leave too if I were you. I thought mechanics make good money? These garages must really be ripping us off because they all seem to charge $85/hour labor

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
No offense, but $41k is poverty on li. You are competing with, and paying the salaries of 6-figure salary public servants. I would leave too if I were you. I thought mechanics make good money? These garages must really be ripping us off because they all seem to charge $85/hour labor
Took the words right out of my mouth! 41K is barely above poverty for NY/LI however I just saw that OP is 22 years old so he is doing well considering most 22 year olds are unemployed or getting entry level office jobs at $15/hr or 35K/yr..even so I think OP should go out and explore. LI is really a suburban place ideal for families but not so much for young people in their 20s. NYC is much more exciting. If I were OP, I'd get a roommate and move to a fun city.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Mechanics don't make good money at all. Cars are so damn complex these days, that you dont learn to fix cars over night. I fortunately didn't go to school for mechanics and just learned it over the years. Alot of people go to school for mechanics, get out and then realize the pay is absolute ****. I need to go back to school for something

EDIT: It actually makes a huge difference, that my salary of $41k is without tax as I work off the books. It sucks that it doesn't help my credit, but I do carry benefits until im 26 due to the health care reform.

Last edited by MikeB1990; 04-12-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island