Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 PM

327 posts, read 1,066,886 times

Advertisements

If you want to have some fun while in San Diego stay here.

BANANA BUNGALOW - San Diego Backpackers Hostels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,762,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1990 View Post
Hey, my name is Mike im new here. This seems like a great place with a wealth of info. Seemed like the best place to ask this.

A little background, I grew up in the same house on Long Island, without getting too specific I am in Nassau county. My mother has been in foreclosure for now a little over a year. The bank keeps pushing back the court date and the uncertainty is killer. My family is all gone down to Florida, my father is still here (because he isnt ready to retire) and it's just me, my mother and my brother living in a 5 bedroom home and it's not as simple as a short sale and relocate. My mom wants to stay here.

I make decent money here as a mechanic ($41,000 salary) and I work alot of hours just to save up for that day the Moderator cut: language removed

There's just not much to do here on Long Island. I have thought of two places to move; Palm Beach County, Florida or some suburb in San Diego County.

I guess im kind of looking for somewhere that actually has nice surf spots, the freedom to head out on some trails on a few dirt bikes, campfires on the beach, some good night life to actually meet people, all within a reasonable distance from a suburb. Long Island just doesn't have any of this, they're so uptight with everything. Even all my friends have left here.

Im 22 years old and I guess im just a little nervous about all of this, I have been given a huge burden. I know I will sink with the ship in this home. Is there any reason I should stay?! I used to love Long Island, but im just so fed up.
Go somewhere you've never been before. LEAVE!!! Don't let your friends keep you behind. I've seen it happen. Sometimes LI get a hold people.
You will meet people where ever you go.

My niece left LI for Boynton Beach FL. She's living in a cool apartment complex. Mostly people in their 20s from all over. Having the time of her life!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 PM

999 posts, read 2,364,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
No offense, but $41k is poverty on li. You are competing with, and paying the salaries of 6-figure salary public servants. I would leave too if I were you. I thought mechanics make good money? These garages must really be ripping us off because they all seem to charge $85/hour labor

The mechanics get F'ed hard.....

Think of this for a minute, you have atleast 30,000 worth of tools (if you're a real mechanic And able to diagnose anything and able to fix it with the tools needed) just a real good diagnostic scanner is 8k, plus the extra's, now 80% of the shops out there don't own it, the mechanic does and they charge you a diagnostic fee which is fine if its going to the poor F that spent the 7 to 10k on the tool, which it does not.

The shop gets the 85 an hour and they (many) don't do anything other than answer the phone while a guy like this kid here spends all his money on tools so he can perform his job for the guy renting or owning the garage.

Many are lucky to see $25 an hour.

I had hired a mechanic and he was in shock at what he didn't need with me, i had told him it's my shop, my customers im not going to F you over and make you pay thousands on tools i need for my business to perform its function and to service my customers thats BS.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,809,677 times
Hi Mike!

I've been reading you from the start, your problem and the logistics behind where you might wind up tomorrow,
posters offering suggestions of new locations for you to carry your problems. did you ever stop to consider that
your restlessness might be in the realization that you are unique, a personality that is exclusive to only yourself,
a special individual! In a reading of your typical comment, I percieve an intelligent being, a young guy with his
head, screwed-on right. You may travel the whole country looking for relief from whatever it is that "ails" you,
but before you cast off the things of today, you need to be sure that you have ample footing along your path to
tomorrow, you need to count the cost of the tower that you have built in your mind.

Escaping Long Island, is easier than it was for those who lived on the Island of Dr. Moreau, but we all have different
demons driving us and I'm not too sure about yours. Keep in mind that you have been given ONE life, it is yours.
You may divide, share or withdraw from it, but still it's your life, your only life. Follow your heart. Our creator endowed
us with much, foremost in our spirit is our capacity for accepting one another as fellow humans, that is to say that I feel
your pain, I share in your joy, we are brothers. Be proud that you have been trained in the craft, mechanical inclination is
a noble calling! Be glad that you have a profession, a trade, we're in a day when a wrench will get you further than a stock
option. I've never felt guilty because of the dirt under my fingernails, my hands may be dirty but my heart is clean.
100 years ago, a young man grew restless, wanted to move on, knew in his heart that he was destined for better things than
life was delivering to him at this time. His name was Murray Handwerker, the father of NATHAN'S Famous, (next to Sabrettes IMHO),
the world's best Hot-dog.
You have decisions to make, bridges to cross, miles to go before you feel right about your life, those who are still with you and those
left behind. I hardly know you Mike, but I'm certain that as the dust dies down, I'll see you as victorious, the winner that has always
been the jewel of your crown.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1990 View Post
Hey, my name is Mike.

I make decent money here as a mechanic
There's just not much to do here on Long Island.
I have thought of two places to move; Palm Beach County, Florida or some suburb in San Diego County.

I guess im kind of looking for somewhere that actually has nice surf spots, the freedom to head out on some trails on a few dirt bikes, campfires on the beach, some good night life to actually meet people, all within a reasonable distance from a suburb. Long Island just doesn't have any of this, they're so uptight with everything. Even all my friends have left here.

I agree with you about this island having anything fun outside of what the rest of the herd considers like eating and shopping as fun, there is no fun unless you live by what the small group of closed minds and lies of society has chosen for you to do as fun....

You can do seasonal surfing here and campfires in designated areas, but NO dirt bikes or atv, 4x4 trail ride fun...

FL or CA may be right for you, watch CA, parts of CA are nazi like here in there ideological views and you won't have any trail use unless you go farther north in CA, or Oregon has both also, and riding on the beach and then the trails are connected to the beach. . . campfires, surf and trails.

FL is warmer and you'll get more time for surf than OR/nCA and FL have trails also but not the mountainous scenic type trails.

I wouldn't stay here, when i was your age i wanted out, my mistake (kinda like the other post with the girl wanting to come back, she doesn't see it yet though) I listened to the wife (they don't always have good ideas, and now she wishes she left and being next to family wasn't the best reason) and everything changed just like i told her it would, people aren't going to start voting smarter here or paying attention and everything will be lost.... in a few years L.I. will implode, it's happening already and in this state they will find new laws and ways to F you the people into paying to sustain their greed, or make the businesses sustain the greed like in NYC, and so many people are hoodwinked into believing hype and this is better and that and this. . . . . open your eyes, look, think, listen, watch. . decide. . . . GTF outta here

I want out, I am looking toward GA, and now the wife is on board, has been the past few years. This is what happens when you STAY longer than you should have...... you have children, you get further involved in work or like me start a business and those don't just pack into a suitcase and leave. . . Making moving and leaving a nightmare of issues that turns into a plan, then the economy screws the plan, and it gets pushed back...

Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,203,267 times
Before making a drastic move i would start sending out resumes. A low paying job on Long Island is always better than no money and no job in a cheaper place. Based on cost of living, i'd say Florida is probably a better idea but get yourself lined up with a job first.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,844,152 times
If you save up enough, you can do it with some money and get a job when you get there. We are leaving, but planned it 16 mnths ago.
Yesterday we finally found a house where we want to live, can pay for it without a mortgage and still have some money left over. 8 more weeks here. We do not have jobs where we are going, but we are willing to work so I have no fear about not getting jobs.
people are so angry on Long Island ; dont turn into an agry person. If you leave and even come back, you will look at things with a different view.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,959,805 times
I like the familiarity & comfort of the suburbs of LI. If I were young and single I would much rather be elsewhere so that I could actually meet new people, etc. Many people I knew from HS here who are still single are in NYC now.

I have a family now so I think this is the best fit and I have no complaints other than unfair taxes (but realize this helps keep quality of life since not just anyone can be here). Answer to your question - no you have no good reason to stay. Especially not with these expenses and no singles life.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-17-2012 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
people are so angry on Long Island ; dont turn into an agry person.

Long island has made people angry. . . .

Long island has lost what it was and is now just a go to work and come home and eat and sleep area, great for cows, not people pursuing happiness.

There are no activities to do here, except for what OTHERS deemed you need.

Again listen to this kid and some of his points why he is leaving. . .

""looking for somewhere that actually has the freedom to head out on some trails on a few dirt bikes, campfires on the beach, some good night life to actually meet people""

Go ahead and do that here, you'll be in cuffs , meanwhile you aren't hurting or doing anything negative to anyone. . .
Brainwashed idiots that people listen to and allow them to take away your freedoms and what is your pursuit of happiness.

Like this kid, someone that has no clue of what is what CANCELLED his happiness.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,959,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Long island has made people angry. . . .

Long island has lost what it was and is now just a go to work and come home and eat and sleep area, great for cows, not people pursuing happiness.

There are no activities to do here, except for what OTHERS deemed you need.
What exactly WAS long island? A farming community and forests for miles? I don't know what you think others deem you need - did you need others to tell you the beach is the place to be? Or perhaps people actually enjoy it there? Planting Fields? Planetarium? Museums? Aquariums? Wine? Bike trails? Parks? Skating? Fishing? We find things to do in the warm months, even with kids. Tell me what would excite you because "OMG there's so much to do elsewhere" means jack. You said you wanted to move to GA? You've got to be kidding if you want to compare the two for things to do... but I'd love to see you try. Honestly, and truthfully, what is it you want to do that you can't here but can in GA?

Your negative generalizations seem to make you feel better about wanting out. You're better off keeping it to yourself from the looks of it. Long Island has made YOU angry. Who exactly are these "people" you generalize about and why are they angry? Does the guy who honked at you on their way home mean they're angry they live here? I talk to neighbors, I talk to friendly people at the beach with smiles on their faces, I see various people at Shoprite. There must be no angry people anywhere else because they've all gathered next to you!

Here's a little secret - LI is suburbia. "Go to work and come home and eat and sleep" sounds about right for a majority of non-single adults on a weeknight. There's not EVERYTHING to do here but there is plenty. More than most places in the country. Even if it's not for you, it doesn't mean "there are no activities to do here".
Things To Do That Others Deem You Need
OMG MORE

Last edited by ovi8; 04-17-2012 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island