Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 PM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times

Advertisements

Are you serious, did you not read what he said too... (SEE the problem kid, GTF out of here while you can, they are so insanely blind here and don't even see it with their eyes wide open, it doesn't pertain to them so who cares what you want or had)

You are insanely blind if you even think for a moment that L.I. has nearly the freedom and activities that L.I. has NONE of anymore.

Your history of L.I. is poor, since L.I. history is that of aviation and motorsports.... both GONE. . .
Show me where any aviation that made L.I. exists today, show me the motorsports that made L.I. where it is today... IT's GONE because of stupidity here, like that of your own thinking and great L.I. schooling views of what L.I. is or was, people didn't come/move to L.I. for farming..... amazing theory, lets more to L.I. it's draw is farming .......... wrong...another L.I. educated scholar, so how good are the schools here again... (go visit those museums)

Show me where you can ride a bike on any free land free of rules, LET alone a dirt bike, atv, 4x and than dare make another stupid statement that GA has none of this, ( i remember the cops telling me clear as day how i can't ride a bike on these trails) I can drive to GA and drive off-road in GA with my truck and then make camp and then take my ATV out of the trailer or back of the truck and go further still thru the country side amongst other things deemed ILLEGAL here.
Even areas for horses here are under attack too.... WHAT activities aren't under attack here? what activities still exist here. . . . golf, eating, parks but no biking in them, camping illegal, being in the park after dusk...illegal...being at the beach after dark... you want to go to jail

You must ONLY work and eat, you know nothing of the islands history you live on, you can not bike off roads here, forget motorized bikes. . both are ILLEGAL , cant walk thru any of the trails with your dog here ILLEGAL...

WTH do you find fun besides eating, and being on the internet, your BIG escape for fun. . . .

You haven't had it or never did it to realize what you never experienced, if those 2 links are your idea of the pursuit of happiness you're dead already, how many times are you going to that damned aquarium....or petting zoo or half the other mindless non activity follow the signs bs you posted...

Hurry up look for more, oh golf, yes golf plenty of golf that really gets me all motivated and adrenaline pumping, muscles all working hard oh the park too. . . you're dead already

. You should take your own links and visit the museums here you'll learn something and then see what it is

L.I. can't go off-road and camp, then go atv'ing with the kids, then go with the truck or jeep, then go for a walk with the dogs on state or county land or bikes

You can do all that in GA, and MORE, pretty much most states you can

L.I. has abandoned it's motorsports heritage and lost huge amounts of revenue and new businesses and all the activity's and money motorsports brought with it

GA embraces it, and in fact is building yet another full venue motorsports facility with business district for its draw

L.I. no bikes on trails

GA bikes on trails

LI no dogs on trails

GA dogs on trails

LI no

GA yes

LI NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Other States know the word YES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
One cant even walk a dog here without being yelled at. I am probably the only person in my development that actually walks our dog. But three people have asked me not to let my dog walk on their grass. They have dogs themselves.

They dont even ask politely ; they yell, curse and shout at me and my dog. Our development is pristine, on the outside. But so many people are so angry on the inside. One rarely sees kids outside playing.

I have traveled to many places, both domestic and international and have never come across people so angry as here on Long island. After 25 years, we are moving away hopefully to more friendly people.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 13,757 times
LIMA you hit it right on the head. Everything here is so strictly regulated.

I love to jet ski, other states allow 4x4 access to the beach and you can launch right into the surf there from the beach, hang out with friends and relax with a barbecue. You will get arrested if you were to try this here.

I actually read about one guy who was jet skiing at the Jones Inlet, his jet ski broke down and he made it to shore. Park patrol ticketed him for having his jet ski on the beach and his ski impounded. Really? WHAT?!

Dirt bikes are pretty much outlawed here. Every piece of land here is protected land. You will get arrested. Go look on craigslist, you can find dirt bikes all day dirt cheap bc there's no where to ride it! The only track here you can ride has been under attack by the town for years and costs thousands for a season pass.

There was a great paintball place out east. Homes were built nearby, and the town then wanted to close it because of complaints by neighbors.

You can't walk your dog on the beach. Prepare for cuffs.

There is no available skate parks on long island the last time I checked.

All of this is just the tip of the iceberg, then we all wonder why there is drug problems here on Long Island. Recreation is dead here. Because of this, Long Island isn't accomadating to me.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
The mechanics get F'ed hard.....

Think of this for a minute, you have atleast 30,000 worth of tools (if you're a real mechanic And able to diagnose anything and able to fix it with the tools needed) just a real good diagnostic scanner is 8k, plus the extra's, now 80% of the shops out there don't own it, the mechanic does and they charge you a diagnostic fee which is fine if its going to the poor F that spent the 7 to 10k on the tool, which it does not.

The shop gets the 85 an hour and they (many) don't do anything other than answer the phone while a guy like this kid here spends all his money on tools so he can perform his job for the guy renting or owning the garage.

Many are lucky to see $25 an hour.

I had hired a mechanic and he was in shock at what he didn't need with me, i had told him it's my shop, my customers im not going to F you over and make you pay thousands on tools i need for my business to perform its function and to service my customers thats BS.

Absolutely, everything word for word. All of this is my main drive of getting out of mechanics. Im fortunate enough to see all of these at an early age that I can do a career change. I just don't see my salary ever doubling to a point I can live comfortably with a home and support a family.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
First of all, this has to do with you, not him - he's not a married adult and I've already said he shouldn't be here, in SUBURBIA.

So on an island as large as this, millions of us, you want us to be interested in motorsports and aviation? You go on about it like people actually miss it. I can't help but laugh. You think LI will be better for not evolving from that?

Nowhere did I say eating. Nowhere did I say shopping cause I know you like to go there too. There's a ton of other things on there, and again, while not for everyone, it is not a short list.

Dead if we don't do anything short of ATVs is what you're thinking? How many people go out and bike, jog, etc. Perfectly happy for many. No freedoms are taken away there. What's wrong with the path at Cedar Creek Park? What's wrong with dog parks where they can actually play with other dogs? I see Sea-Doo's on trailers heading to the shore. I see people with boats - I see the Sound full of them - they've got their liberties. What's wrong with getting a permit and going on the beach with your 4WD? Perhaps the rules around here are made to prevent just anyone from climbing on the dunes with their rowdy buddies and 6 packs in tow. Perhaps the people in GA are a bit "different" when it comes to order. Everyone should pick up some guns too while we're at it. South = dirtbikes, hunting, Nascar and other motorsports. Suburbia next to NYC = N O T. If that's what you want, by all means, save us some of your constant whining and just leave. Did it not already look like suburbia when you were buying your house here? It's not like it's more expensive down there... why not just go?

I play a lot of hockey, 6 or 7 rinks around here... our leagues like to get us touring them. One even lets us play in the Coliseum. But let's pretend for a second there's no rinks here. What would LIMA say... wtf, where are all the rinks around here? This place sucks. Everybody is angry. I don't want to go eating, I don't want to go shopping, I don't want to hit the beach or the wineries. Or LICM with the kids. I just want to go to the rink. Wah wah wah there's absolutely nothing to do around here because nothing else on the list interests me, so I shall make fun of it all because they're not manly enough for me. Seriously, that's what you look like.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-17-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 PM

Alot of great suggestions/opinions! At this point I am dead set on moving away from Long Island. I know when, I just need to know the where and what..

Positively looking at being a mechanic, I have met plenty of different people. Especially the area I work, plenty of successful people. I feel destined to more than just turning a wrench, and im always thinking of the next step. Whether that be going back to school or even sign to the military. I don't want to be that guy who works 60 hours a week trying to make ends meet. I want to live comfortable like others i've crossed paths with. I always make conversation and ask "So what do you do for a living?". I never envy these people, but find points of inspiration.

Im really at the crossroad of my life, where im not happy where I am and what im doing for a living, where I stepped back and asked is this what im going to be doing the rest of my life? and for some reason I find myself always considering the military. I can't afford school, and the military will educate me and finally get me out of Long Island.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM

510 posts, read 2,206,768 times
Mike in one Simple word - I think you should GO. Live your life, experience new things, people and places. You are young. You have everything ahead of you. Good Luck to you

Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
To sum it all up:

There isn't enough local interest to sustain the "racing industry" to Lima's satisfaction. Therefore, Long Island must suck!

And so we have another thread successfully derailed. Maybe we should have a sub forum for amateur cartographers and Dale Jr. wannabees.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times
MikeB1990, it sounds like you made up your mind, but you should do a few things first. As suggested, start sending out resumes, you really don't want to go to a new location with no job and concerns about burning through any savings. Also, check out locations that have schools where you can possibly go an get certifications or more mechanical knowlege. Example - I know Wyotech has a couple of locations (What You Should Know About WyoTech Campuses) around the country and different vocations (automotive, motorcycle, marine) and maybe they can help with the costs (Not an endorsement for them, I'd check out any school before plunking down any $). Also, visit any location first, make sure you like it and it has what you need. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
[
Quote:
There's just not much to do here on Long Island
i feel your pain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island