Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 PM

239 posts, read 511,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
California's government is in a in a even bigger mess then NY.
Off topic but food for thought - after living in Albany and having experience with the NYS government, I'm convinced that NYS government is on it's way to be a bigger mess than California very soon.

But for the OP, you should definitely leave Long Island and explore the world! I love SoCal and most of Florida. The lifestyle, weather, and ambiance is so refreshing compared to the Northeast. You might as well get out of town when you're young! Orlando is a very up and coming city and the best city for young people in the state of Florida. San Diego is one of my favorite cities in the country and you can't go wrong there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 AM

629 posts, read 1,706,263 times
Young man - GO GO GO!

While I would question your choices of place to go TO - to some degree life is little trial-and-error. Try CA - try FL - try anywhere you pass along the way that looks inviting - get the hell out of here.

Irrespective of what you might here - there IS life outside LonG Island.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:29 AM

179 posts, read 495,467 times
just my two cents - as we've moved all over the country with the navy - san diego is nice and pretty touristy... so i'd steer away from there. and like the other posters have said, the price of living in cali is STEEP! and i say that after my eyes continue to bulge everytime i grocery shop HERE! we've lived in pensacola and jacksonville florida. while those weren't my favorite duty stations - they were among the cheapest! jax is VERY congested - but living out closer to the beach side, even mayport, might be good for you. if you can repair autos - can you also do the same for jet skis? maybe add boat repair to your credentials and REALLY live it up on the coast!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,844,152 times
Go, go go. Enjoy life and all it has to offer. But not on Long Island. Its too expensive.

I say go for it. You dont want to regret Not doing it.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,539,068 times
I could have written LadyLaras post myself! I also spent time in SD in the Navy, and don't get me wrong it's a sweet place to live if you can afford it (hmmm sort of like LI??). I do know some people who live further north (Oxnard, northwest of LA) who love it.

It's becoming more well-known that LI actually has some of the best surf spots on the east coast (too bad the water is cold 7 months a year!)

If surfing is up there on your priority list and you can handle the dregs of living in FL, other spots you might be interested in are St. Augustine and Melbourne (all NE Coast). They have the beach life you want without the drugery of Jacksonville/Mayport.

Overall I agree with the sentiment of getting out while you are young. LI will always be here to come back to.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 AM

6,392 posts, read 13,220,654 times
If you don't see your salary doubling by the time you are 28-30 whether it being as a mechanic or a change in your field, then I would def. move.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 AM

22,764 posts, read 37,064,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Overall I agree with the sentiment of getting out while you are young. LI will always be here to come back to.
Agree with this - don't like where you move? Want to come back? It's gonna be here. Like GPC said, move before it becomes difficult to do so.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 13,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLara View Post
if you can repair autos - can you also do the same for jet skis? maybe add boat repair to your credentials and REALLY live it up on the coast!
Oh yea I can repair jet skis. Jet skiing has become my life, much like a surfer, I go whenever I have the chance or see some surf. I go out on my stand up jet ski, slash some waves, and try some air tricks off of them. Im actually all loaded up, waiting on a friend to head out now!

I am relieved you all agree on the move, some of my friends say I will come back instantly.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM

5,315 posts, read 4,823,480 times
As long as you realize that you wont save very much cost of living wise by moving to San Diego of PBC (one of the most expensive areas in south florida), I agree with those above, go for it if you are not happy. Also being a mechanic, you probably wont have much trouble finding employment wherever you do decide to go. San Diego is a beautifuly city, I traveled the world extensively on my last job and San Diego is the only place I could see myself living outside of LI, I definately plan on transferring there one day.

If you are thinking of Florida still might I suggest the central florida coast (particularly the Cocoa Beach area if you are into surfing). Housing can be found for a song in that area right now, Rent is also very cheap and there are brand new complexes all over the place.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,027,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLara View Post
go! go! GO GO GO!!!! you're SO young - get out there and experience something different! if you don't... you'll regret it. (plus, it kinda sounds like you've already made up your mind... you just want a push from us!)
Agree^^^ - you have no family, no obligations, no real ties. Get out while you can - spread those wings and FLY!!! Go WEST if you can find a place with equal pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island