Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is 100k a large salary for Long Island?
Yes 42 25.93%
No 120 74.07%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:27 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,841,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
No, I said YOUR list, not the "Reports" list, baby. You added to your own list yesterday.

And about the report...I did get about halfway before more pressing business popped up.
I suppose articles like this have their purpose but I'm not placing it on the pedestal you are, that's for sure. It's not the be all, end all of all things written. It's sprinkled with a political agenda, for one.
You can worship it as the bible if you like.
Regardless of any political agenda, that doesn't change the fact that mortgage costs adjusted for inflation have gone up 69% since the 70's, which is a large piece of what is negating the gains of a 2nd income. Yet you offer no evidence for your position supporting your position on over consumption except what you see - cell phones and the number of patrons at Chilli’s. If you can provide some evidence supporting you position other than personal observation, I’d gladly read it. Otherwise, I’ll go with the findings of those darn elites over some guy from LI posting his musings on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 02:33 PM

6,153 posts, read 10,089,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Regardless of any political agenda, that doesn't change the fact that mortgage costs adjusted for inflation have gone up 69% since the 70's, which is a large piece of what is negating the gains of a 2nd income. Yet you offer no evidence for your position supporting your position on over consumption except what you see - cell phones and the number of patrons at Chilli’s. If you can provide some evidence supporting you position other than personal observation, I’d gladly read it. Otherwise, I’ll go with the findings of those darn elites over some guy from LI posting his musings on C-D.
Yup - his opinions are ruled by what he sees outside his windows and what he hears "around town"... Clearly he has his pulse on America from nowhere Suffolk county. At least some of us try to offer opinions based on data, facts, and trends.

I mean, look at the current results of this poll.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,369,538 times
Quote:

I never said I disagreed with the concept of mortgage costs having gone up.
I also never disagreed with those saying housing, health care and education are the main reasons things are so tough today (Dman threw cars in after the fact. Oops.)
Regardless of the report you linked (Which you are choosing to hold as gospel-I am not) you and Dman chose to engage in a stupid 2 day argument about a topic we essentially agree with.
I mean, It's been fun and all but aren't you bored yet?

BTW, what is wrong with personal observation?? Are you one of those folks that sits on a pc and google everything or do you ever trust your gut and use your instincts gained from your personal experience? You say this like it's some kind of put down?
My personal experience has allowed me to be a sucessful person.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yup - his opinions are ruled by what he sees outside his windows and what he hears "around town"... Clearly he has his pulse on America from nowhere Suffolk county. At least some of us try to offer opinions based on data, facts, and trends.

I mean, look at the current results of this poll.
The pulse of America? What do I care. LONG ISLAND?? Well Mikey, I live here. DO YOU?

I have expressed lots of factual info, based on trends. You are a boring person because you post pie charts and graphs that everyone know are meaningless. We're just tired of telling you so.
I mean, how long are we going to ignore certains people's predictions, based on "Reports" and other silly nonesense they read on the net have not panned out?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM

6,153 posts, read 10,089,670 times
Quote:
The pulse of America? What do I care. LONG ISLAND?? Well Mikey, I live here. DO YOU?

I have expressed lots of factual info, based on trends. You are a boring person because you post pie charts and graphs that everyone know are meaningless. We're just tired of telling you so.
I mean, how long are we going to ignore certains people's predictions, based on "Reports" and other silly nonesense they read on the net have not panned out?
"Factual info, based on trends" - "No Reports and predictions have panned out"

What are you referring to - I've never seen you post facts or trends other then your anecdotal versions of randomness... /facepalm

Maybe the whole economy boils down to how long it takes to get a table at Applebee's on Friday night.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I never said I disagreed with the concept of mortgage costs having gone up.
I also never disagreed with those saying housing, health care and education are the main reasons things are so tough today (Dman threw cars in after the fact. Oops.)
Regardless of the report you linked (Which you are choosing to hold as gospel-I am not) you and Dman chose to engage in a stupid 2 day argument about a topic we essentially agree with.
I mean, It's been fun and all but aren't you bored yet?

BTW, what is wrong with personal observation?? Are you one of those folks that sits on a pc and google everything or do you ever trust your gut and use your instincts gained from your personal experience? You say this like it's some kind of put down?
My personal experience has allowed me to be a sucessful person.
Personal observation - it's raining at my house. Two miles away at your house it's not. Is it raining or not?

I don't hold the report as the gospel. I do think the work of a dozen top people in their field holds more weight than someone who offers no evidence to back his opinion. You're saying over the over consumption of people buying things they don't need is the cause of today's hard times (post # 176) I really didn't see where you say housing, child care or anything else is really the cause.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Personal observation - it's raining at my house. Two miles away at your house it's not. Is it raining or not?

I don't hold the report as the gospel. I do think the work of a dozen top people in their field holds more weight than someone who offers no evidence to back his opinion. You're saying over the over consumption of people buying things they don't need is the cause of today's hard times (post # 176) I really didn't see where you say housing, child care or anything else is really the cause.

It's raining at your house.
It is not raining at my house.

What do I win?
Sometimes things can be pretty simple, huh?

I can post weather reports and stuff but really, would it make my observation any more or less valid?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It's raining at your house.
It is not raining at my house.

What do I win?
Sometimes things can be pretty simple, huh?

I can post weather reports and stuff but really, would it make my observation any more or less valid?
I like to see what's going on beyond the limited reach of my finger tips or eyes. It helps to give me insigt to other points or view or prepare for something out of my sight that maybe coming my way.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, scottzilla,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Old 06-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I like to see what's going on beyond the limited reach of my finger tips or eyes. It helps to give me insigt to other points or view or prepare for something out of my sight that maybe coming my way.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, scottzilla,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Doesn't make my opinions regarding LI any less valid.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Doesn't make my opinions regarding LI any less valid.
Only incomplete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island