Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is 100k a large salary for Long Island?
Yes 42 25.93%
No 120 74.07%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,362,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Correction: See City of Syracuse metro... and only in some areas. The metro is overwhelmingly affordable. $60K/year up here, for a family, is plenty to live comfortably and then some. We're in the 16th best district in the state (over 700 districts) and *got by* with $15K/year, just 5 years ago... $60K is a jackpot. And MANY more families make twice that.

15 minutes from downtown Syracuse.
How are the property taxes compared to property values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,770,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana515 View Post
only if you buy all the stupid unnecessary gadgets and accessories they sell today...a baby sling? just hold on to him..he'll thank you later for it.
No - buy that $40 baby swing and save yourself hundreds (at least) because you no longer need a gazillion and three bouncy seats, "baby buckets", swings, playpens, strollers, etc.

Or, God forbid, look for cheap, like-new items on Craigslist or traded/gifted from family and friends for nothing. Their $hit has to be trendy and matchedly MIS-matched, yo.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM

13,517 posts, read 17,073,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I'll watch the video later, but this was a good read disspelling the "over consumption" myth.

http://www.yale.edu/law/leo/052005/papers/Warren.pdf
It doesn't seem that people are reading the thread, because every few posts someone comes in with the conventional "common sense" wisdom about over consumption.

Read the attached report, it's basically the same thing she says in a youtube video that's also easily accessed if you don't have the patience to read.

While it may make some people feel smart to say someone who has a cellphone shouldn't complain about how tough things are, it really has little basis in fact.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
When it costs 30K a year to send a kid to college, $800 TV's and $1,000 per year in Cellphones are relatively immaterial.
It doesn't cost $30K/year to send your child to college. SUNY costs $30K for your bachelor's, total, assuming that you'll receive no grants and/or scholarships.

Better yet, if teenagers want to get a college education, they can go about it themselves, at that price... and work and save and go to school and <the horror!!> BE POOR AND SACRIFICE to achieve their dreams. You know, THEIR dreams... and not the dreams of their parents. God forbid they have to struggle and build that pesky thing that is sometimes called character...

Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How are the property taxes compared to property values?
Up here, they have little to do with each other. Certain areas are taxed higher than others. Some [many] homeowners don't protest every.single.increase in their property taxes so their taxes are inflated (and when it comes time to sell, they do/will realize their folly.) Older homes typically are taxed based on a half-sized assessment, with the new homes at 100%. It costs more to live in a city or village.

Our 90 year-old home is in a village and assessed around $82K. Its value is double that. The taxes are $3800/year. I can walk or bike to everything we NEED. I can ride the bus to most of the places I WANT to... we don't have a need for a second car because we chose to buy in a place that was most convenient to our lifestyle. I can buy wholesome, nutritious groceries for $200/month, for a family of 5.

I can't complain at all. That's why I wrankled a bit, seeing "especially Syracuse metro." The taxes ARE higher in the city itself... and for little benefit... but the Syracuse metro is thriving.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 06-07-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 PM

13,517 posts, read 17,073,533 times
Quote:
It doesn't cost $30K/year to send your child to college. SUNY costs $30K for your bachelor's, total, assuming that you'll receive no grants and/or scholarships.

Better yet, if teenagers want to get a college education, they can go about it themselves, at that price... and work and save and go to school and <the horror!!> BE POOR AND SACRIFICE to achieve their dreams. You know, THEIR dreams... and not the dreams of their parents. God forbid they have to struggle and build that pesky thing that is sometimes called character...
Read the report I referenced earlier if you have any inclination to believe in reality as opposed to fiction.

MY 30K a year was referencing private schools. On average college costs much more now than it did 30 years ago, that's a fact.

This isn't about your own personal anecdotes.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,047,076 times
Quote:
Correction: See City of Syracuse metro... and only in some areas. The metro is overwhelmingly affordable. $60K/year up here, for a family, is plenty to live comfortably and then some. We're in the 16th best district in the state (over 700 districts) and *got by* with $15K/year, just 5 years ago... $60K is a jackpot. And MANY more families make twice that.

15 minutes from downtown Syracuse.

According to HOI, Syracuse metro is top 10 nationally in affordability:

NAHB/Wells Fargo Housing Opportunity Index (HOI)

Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,353,324 times
Quote:
Probably the part where you repeated that it's people spending money on things that they don't need.

Here's how you do it Scott:

"I am Scott, and my intial assumption was wrong."

Not really that difficult.

No, you can't read.
I never indicated it was one or the other. You are so blinded by your desire to forward your silly agenda you forgot how to read.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
It doesn't seem that people are reading the thread, because every few posts someone comes in with the conventional "common sense" wisdom about over consumption.

Read the attached report, it's basically the same thing she says in a youtube video that's also easily accessed if you don't have the patience to read.

While it may make some people feel smart to say someone who has a cellphone shouldn't complain about how tough things are, it really has little basis in fact.

You are so wrong it's comical. Yet you cling to what the only Harvard educated person you know has to say.
We live in the land of the $46,000 pick up truck dude. Consumer spending is, for the most part, out of control. Financial "Experts" were talking about this stuff prior to the tech bubble exploding.
It's not just one or the other.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
According to HOI, Syracuse metro is top 10 nationally in affordability:

NAHB/Wells Fargo Housing Opportunity Index (HOI)

Oh yay, the charts & graphs guy is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island