Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:21 PM

92 posts, read 476,499 times

Advertisements

Across the street from the Argo Lanes was a pizza place all the kids went to. Cannot remember the name. We bowled almost every weekend, played the pinball machine then across the street for pizza. On the corner was a candy store where all the kids from Elmont Memorial went. Of course I cannot remember the name of that place either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 04:36 PM

149 posts, read 525,157 times
I'm considering moving to Elmont within a 1 1/2 months or so and was wondering about the elementary school. My daughter is currently in 5th grade and as much as I want to keep her in Catholic school, things will be tight. The house I'm considering is near Hempstead Tnpk and not too far from Elmont Road.

I was looking for a thread like this as it's a bit confusing as when I go over to Elmont I pass the 'South Floral Park' sign and then theres a small green 'Jamaica ______' (I forget the rest) sign; many hamlets

Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM

100 posts, read 326,346 times
Is it the Jamaica Avenue sign? By The Cross Island Parkway? I used to live in Elmont... I am not sure where exactly you are moving, but it could be Clara H. Carlson Elementary - Covert Avenue School.... Give me a landmark on Hempstead Turnpike and maybe I can help you better...

Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 PM

149 posts, read 525,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2South View Post
Is it the Jamaica Avenue sign? By The Cross Island Parkway? I used to live in Elmont... I am not sure where exactly you are moving, but it could be Clara H. Carlson Elementary - Covert Avenue School.... Give me a landmark on Hempstead Turnpike and maybe I can help you better...
I don't think it was Jamaica Ave sign, not a street sign but it looked like a tiny green hamlet sign. Not nearly as big as the white South Floral Park sign.

D'Anna's Pizzeria is right nearby where I was looking at to settle in (hopefully). I just want to add that I'm working class/Proletarian I like the Valley Stream, Franklin Sq and Floral Park areas but I think I could do far worse than Elmont.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 AM

222 posts, read 892,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemoll View Post
..... I just want to add that I'm working class/Proletarian I like the Valley Stream, Franklin Sq and Floral Park areas but I think I could do far worse than Elmont.
Curious as to how you are defining "working class..."

Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 39,943 times
I grew up in Elmont in the 50's and 60's. After the service (most everybody in the neighborhood went to Viet Nam) and stayed another two years. I rented an apartment behind the Tiny Inn next to the lumber yard, then moved to Boston then NYC then Brooklyn then Queens.
It was a great place to grow up and I still keep in touch with some of the friends I grew up with. we had a HS reunion a few years back, at the Plattdeutsch in Franklin Square. Following marraige and kids I moved to Northport and been there for thirty years. I sold my parents house to some very nice people in 2002 and it has been very well kept since. I have nice memories of my childhood friends and places, and adventures to Valley Stream Park via the stream that ran on the west side of Franklin ave. And of couse there was the Walcliffe pool and skating rink.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:26 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George1966 View Post
I grew up in Elmont in the 50's and 60's. After the service (most everybody in the neighborhood went to Viet Nam) and stayed another two years. I rented an apartment behind the Tiny Inn next to the lumber yard, then moved to Boston then NYC then Brooklyn then Queens.
It was a great place to grow up and I still keep in touch with some of the friends I grew up with. we had a HS reunion a few years back, at the Plattdeutsch in Franklin Square. Following marraige and kids I moved to Northport and been there for thirty years. I sold my parents house to some very nice people in 2002 and it has been very well kept since. I have nice memories of my childhood friends and places, and adventures to Valley Stream Park via the stream that ran on the west side of Franklin ave. And of couse there was the Walcliffe pool and skating rink.
I so vivedly remember Valley Steam State Park. On Memorial Day we had a parade, all the scouts in their uniforms, bands playing patriotic music. After the parade we would all disband, get out picnic gear and head off to the park.
I remember going in a rowboat with friends and trying to get somewhere but going nowhere. I loved the stream. We would have jars with holes on top and catch bugs. Great memories, great times.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 38,643 times
Elmont is not as you remember, there have been many changes.
Remember Friendlys on Elmont Rd, - thats now a baptist church.
The Salvation Army's Wayside School has been demolished to make way for condo's & they're being constructed now.
The Laundramat on Dutch Broadway & Tuxedo Dr is now Dunkin Donuts.
Dutch Broadway School has been expanded.
The Funeral Home on Elmont & Dutch has been expanded.
St. Boniface School is gone, It's now called Martin De Pores Career Center.
Argo Bowling Alley is now called Danny's Strike Zone & went from 28 Lanes, Down to 24 with many interior renovations. Exxon on Linden Blvd & Elmont Rd is now Gulf.
The Drug Store across the Street is a check cashing place.
Alva T Stanforth JHS has been demolished & a giant library complex is now there.

There's a site on Yahoo, called Elmont Expedition, they have many pics of the area.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 22,658 times
I lived in Elmont { BENSON AVE } most of my life until 8 years ago and so did my family as far back as 1918. My grandmother told me stories of her childhood years ,picking stringbeans on Rockcamps farm when she was 10, riding the trolly down the turn pike from Queens.The farmer sold all but a small parcel to builders and Eastern mills, which turned into TSS then the Home Depot. he donated a section to the school to build ATS, on Hempsted TPK. its now a Library. Stop 20 was the dinner at the trolly stop # 20. Althuagh I new so many people there in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I don't know of a single family or friend still living there ! I know a lot about that town.

Last edited by electricalpuls; 12-01-2008 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 22,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalpuls View Post
I lived in Elmont { BENSON AVE } most of my life until 8 years ago and so did my family as far back as 1918. My grandmother told me stories of her childhood years ,picking stringbeans on Rockcamps farm when she was 10, riding the trolly down the turn pike from Queens.The farmer sold all but a small parcel to builders and Eastern mills, which turned into TSS then the Home Depot. he donated a section to the school to build ATS, on Hempsted TPK. its now a Library. Stop 20 was the dinner at the trolly stop # 20. Althuagh I new so many people there in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I don't know of a single family or friend still living there ! I know a lot about that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island