Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM

7 posts, read 39,939 times

Advertisements

My grandparents moved to Elmont in 1926. I'm sure our families knew each other as My dad used to pick potato's on Rottkamps farm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:37 PM

149 posts, read 525,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
Curious as to how you are defining "working class..."
Just caught the rest of this thread today

I meant, in between what is considered middle class and poor. I also threw in Proletarian so that's a clue as well lol!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,944 times
My band, "The Blame," played every other week at February's in Elmont (now Club Rum) sometime in the 80's. We were a mostly original punk/pop band. There's another band called "The Blame" now, from Staten Island I think, but we were playing mostly in the 70's & 80's & based in Queens & Long Island.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,865 times
does anyone remember when the A&P burnt down??

Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 PM

92 posts, read 476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerarde View Post
does anyone remember when the A&P burnt down??
The A&P on Dutch Broadway?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,744 times
Default j from elmont

my parents moved here in 1970.. both my husband and i still live here..on eureka avenue which is considered one of the better areas in elmont..one block over from franklin square.. going towards the turnpike it gets really bad!! some white and italians still in my area..but an awful lot of foreigners are coming into the area now..with the emphasis on awful!!! club rum is a crappy awful place..cannot believe it was once february's where i hung out as a kid in the 80's..some of the bands were great..i remember there was this middle aged jerk named bobby who had a band and he was always trying to pick me and my friends up..even though he was engaged!! later heard he picked up hookers and saw him upstate at the rennaissance faire of all places..as usual stoned..drunk and out of his mind!! used to know a chubby person named maris who had a boyfriend named joey who was in a band called outrage..they were very good!!!.. unfortunately that is what is ruining it in elmont..undocumented jerks..foreigners who have no class or tact..in our part of elmont everyone looks out for each other..my husband hates it here..wants to get out as soon as he can...we have rich people around the corner..hispanic ..parties and unruly behaviour..all money..no class no tact!! that is a large part of the problem here nowadays.. stop 20 is still here but the food AND service was god-awful the last time i was there.. even vams the laundromat is horrible!! vito the owner was terrible..no heat in the winter..no air conditioning in the summer and the place was filthy!!! i do not patronize any business in elmont..go to franklin square which in my opinion is cleaner and has a much better class of people to be honest!!! we live one block over from franklin square which is what keeps our area better!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,753 times
Anyone can tell me which A&P burnt down? The one we frequented was near the police station on Dutch Broadway There was also a deli there that was jammed on Sunday and Aaron's Drug Store was there. I think there was also a candy store and pizza place. Across the street I remember a pet store, barber shop and across the street was a gas station.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:28 PM

137 posts, read 545,734 times
I'm from Elmont tooo.... moved there as a kid in 1987 til 2005. It was a great place to grow up! Surrounded by other italian families...a safe neighborhood...great people. Friends I made and still have to this day. My first job was as a cashier at the Green Grocer which is now Petland. I use to stop at the candy shop in the parking lot where Fodera's deli use to be almost every day walking home from Covert Avenue which was an excellent elementary school back in my day. Went to Sewahaka and have the best memories from those days. Wouldnt change a thing.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
My mom went to St. Boniface...I think she graduated either 1967 or 1968.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 16,112 times
Default Elmont

How sad what happened to my Elmont..........I went to Sewanahka, graduated in 1963, and was one of the "Stop 20 Boys" and friendly with the "Paragons". ...

Conrad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island