Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 PM

3 posts, read 48,106 times

Advertisements

Good Morning, folks...

I was wondering if anyone might be able to direct me to a source for getting a picture/information on the Great Eastern Mills department store that was located in Elmont, NY, on Hempstead Tpke.

Just this evening, I was at the new Elmont Public Library going through their archives, but came up empty-handed.

Even though I grew up living in Queens on the Nassau-Queens border (still do), my family practically LIVED in that store in the 1960's. It would be a kick to see a photo of the old place.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sincerely,
Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda61 View Post
Good Morning, folks...

I was wondering if anyone might be able to direct me to a source for getting a picture/information on the Great Eastern Mills department store that was located in Elmont, NY, on Hempstead Tpke.

Just this evening, I was at the new Elmont Public Library going through their archives, but came up empty-handed.

Even though I grew up living in Queens on the Nassau-Queens border (still do), my family practically LIVED in that store in the 1960's. It would be a kick to see a photo of the old place.

Sincerely,
Linda
Does Elmont have an historical society? If not, try Valley Stream or Malverne. Sometimes other historical societies have connections with local folk who might have what you're looking for.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:30 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
For those who may not be familiar with Elmont:

Once called Foster's Meadow, and home to the Belmont Race Track, Elmont is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the Nassau/NYC (Queens County) line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Elmont in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Bellerose Terrace, the Village of Floral Park, the Village of South Floral Park and the Village of Stewart Manor; on the east by the Hamlet of Franklin Square; on the south by the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; and, on the west by New York City (the Nassau/Queens County line).

The Hamlet of Elmont has a different border than does the "Elmont, NY 11003" postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Elmont and a place can be in the Hamlet of Elmont and have other than an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address): places with an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address are in the Hamlet of Franklin Square; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Elmont with a "Valley Stream, NY 11580" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 11-20-2007, 11:44 AM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
Quote:
Good Morning, folks...
Eastern Mills department store that was located in Elmont, NY, on Hempstead Tpke.

Linda
I remember that place, as kids we world come home with these double Mouse balloons and these whipped cream pastrey's in the cardboard tube

Old 11-20-2007, 11:53 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
... whipped cream pastrey's in the cardboard tube
Otherwise known as a charlotte russe!

Charlotte Russe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,524 times
Great Eastern Mills? Yikes! When I saw this thread I had a major flash from the past.
I'm 56 now but when I went to school at Elmont Memorial HS...echhhhhhh I had a job at G.E.M's. When you walked in the front of the store there was an ice cream stand there. I used to work that stand for months.
I seem to be flashing back on the parking lot and Rottkamp farm stand there?????
Geezzzz...glad those years are gone. I hated Elmont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:44 PM

5 posts, read 33,467 times
I found this by doing a search on Great Eastern Mills.
I don't have a pic of it, but I found a pic of a sign of one in New Jersey!
rt23.jpg photo - waynepba136 photos at pbase.com

Last edited by tastyorange; 11-26-2007 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: put in wrong link

Old 12-12-2007, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 48,106 times
Thanks for all your help! Still looking for a pic of the old Elmont store...guess I'll have to try the archives at Hofstra University!

Linda

Old 12-12-2007, 07:54 AM

223 posts, read 604,129 times
Quote:
Good Morning, folks...

Sincerely,
Linda
I was born in Elmont.... in 1976...on L street! I am going to ask my parents if they remember this store and if they possibly have any pics or info.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:16 AM

652 posts, read 2,264,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
I was born in Elmont.... in 1976...on L street! I am going to ask my parents if they remember this store and if they possibly have any pics or info.
course they remember it..it was one of the first box stores in Elmont.
My kid was born in 75 so I figure I'm close to your parents age when I lived there.
I worked at GEM's as a kid as did my younger sister.
If I recall...I always thought GEM's pretty much had junk.
Be well
andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island