Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,635 times

Advertisements

westgate had assoaited food the deli ,the german bakery ,doc's drug store were you could just see his face,sam's shoe store 'italian rest., cousins inn,candy store harry gail jean irv,forgot the butcher.across from rotkamps was demanski general store on the corner of hemp typk &jacob st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 PM

11 posts, read 75,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
Do you know when it closed and became TSS? I remember it best as TSS (Times Square Stores) but it was probably Great Eastern when I was a kid (born in '71) Wasn't there a Waldbaums next door? I lived so close to there lol we were there all the time too.
KBRAD EMHS CLASS 66 GEM CLASS OF 66 TO 67 Before ronald regan. original food store was owned by great eastern, then sublet to waldbaums.. GEM went Bankrupt and liquidated... Tss folded when owner Seiden turned 92 years old. Home Deot purchased the land for pennies on the dollar from the bankruptcy court and tss.... the land which cost Great Eastern and <Diana Stores Corp >$1,200,000 dollars in 1960, from Rottkamp and GEM built the building with no a/c. nice work depot!!!! this store is the number one money maker for Home Depot and the largest theft problem

Old 04-16-2009, 07:30 PM

Default great easter

KBRAD 66 hope this lands where it 's supposed to.. Back in the 60s there was 2 Great Eastern Locations Elmont and Hicksville both on Hepstead turnpike. the one in Elmont folded, Tss got it from the Bankruptcy court. TSS went Bankrupt and Home Depot purchased land and Building <huge no a/c > from another bankruptcy court my daughters e-mail is stephhas4@aol. com if you require clarification...

Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 PM

Default elmont memories from KBRAD 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1966 View Post
I remember GEM being built. I grew up in Elmont in the 50's and 60's. I first learned to drive in the GEM parking lot on Sundays. Anyone remember Hungry Herman's, Bowlair, Belmont Boulevard (Clara H Carlson), Alva T. I remember the Walcliff pool and hearingthe sounds whil we sat in class as the school term closed in June. The skating rink was great as well. I remember Mr. Castor who ws the manager of the place. Lot of change since. I actually found a 1956 Sewanhaka yearbook showing the buildig of EHS, FMHS (Plainview Ave), Alva T, and HF Cary! I guess they had money then.
WAS THAT YOU?????? BOWLAIR BUILDING STIILL IN TACTED. iF THERE WAS A HUNGRY HERMENS CHAIN m'CDONALDS WOULD FOLD QUICK... REMEMBER charlie's hot dogs for 20 cents and dime soda's? gOD LOVE HIM

Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 PM

Default kbrad 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1966 View Post
I can remember when milk Maid opened. Capt. Video was there on opening day. I think they also had another MM in Stewart Manor or somewhere thereabouts. I used to sit in a tree and watch the Memorial day parades. It was alongside Milk Maid next to a big house. I also remember the big house where bowlaire was build. My father moved to Elmont in 1926 and worked at Rottkamp's farm picking potato's as a kid!

I lived in Elmont from 61 to 2005 except my 2 years war time. loved gouz. My friend dom still has the 12 bottle carrier 12 cents a quart. shame what happened there old man Gouz died left it to his son Artie who had one of those problems bingo western beef pennies on the dollar..

Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroy View Post
I remember the Blockbuster replacing Tom McCan Shoes

how about La sala across the street? better than Umbertos.....

Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Kbrad 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdi View Post
Ok, I am probably dating myself, but I worked at Great Eastern from about 1972 to about 1978. All of the departments in the store were owned by other companies that basically leased the space. I worked in the pet shop from 73 to 78. In 1971, I worked in the Lighting Department until that company went out of business. This was a great place for kids to work at the time ($1.85 an hour), and I met some very good friends there. In fact, 30 years later, I still keep in touch with some of them.

We had some great times there, breaking into the Candy Department's stockroom, and eating cashews by the pound. One time we put about a dozen snakes and 5 or 6 mice through a hole in the pet department's back wall into the beauty parlor. There was major grief the next day when the manager of the beauty parlor opened up and found the place full of garter snakes and mice. Of course we denied everything! We were all betweem 16 and 21, and had a great time, and even made some pocket money. Other things that went on: drinking Boons Farm Strawberry Wine in the stock room, making out with the cashiers in the stock room, crashing flats of car batteries so that the acid leaked on the floor, letting birds go (on purpose) so they could fly to the curtain department, sit on the curtains and mess them up.

Some of the employees: Pete from Pets, Big Joe, and Hal in Housewares, Diane in the Pet Department (She was a very hot blond!), Marie in the Smoke Shop, Grace who was a cashier, Liz (skinny cute blonde in Stationary), Steve in Pets, Owen in Occasional Furniture, etc. In the 70's, this was where we shopped in Elmont, unless you could go to Green Acres or A&S in Hempstead. It was a great time that I'll always remember!
THEY PAID ME $1.25 PER HOUR IN 66 AND TEAMSTERS UNION GOT US A NICKEL RAISE IN 67.. bUT WE HAD TO WORK 4TH OF jULY THAT YEAR SO WE WERE IN THE BUCKET. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE STEADY STREAM OF BEAUTIFUL GIRLS THAT CAME IN THERE. FAY BOLNER <GOD LOVE HER>USED TO FIND OUT WHICH LIKED WHICH AND IN A DAY WE
HOOKED UP... I married the last girl,,,ladies we celebrate # 41 on May 12th.. I am very LUCKY>

Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Kbrad 66

[quote=Ann1;3593635]Andy, we are getting older but I remember you as if it were yesterday. You and your pals going around EMHS. How is Joey C doing?
Just to let people know, Andybuildz and I went to HS together (even though it was for a little while) way,way back. Met back up on this board. Great Eastern was the store everyone went to. There were a few times my kids asked me where I was going and instead of saying Wal-Mart I said Great Eastern. I'm afraid to think what maybe setting in. Was Great Eastern first or Wal Mart? Wal Mart seems to to a replica of Great Eastern or was it the other way around? [/quoTE

Great Eastern came to the big E in 1960. Walmart stayed away from Long Island until 1985. they took over a shack in Uniondal <small> Subsequently Green Acres Smithtown Westbury?? i bailed in 2005

Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
I remember that place, as kids we world come home with these double Mouse balloons and these whipped cream pastrey's in the cardboard tube

they were called CHARLOTTE ROUSE's. Larraine and Kathy Delio sold them....

Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 AM

Default junk?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
course they remember it..it was one of the first box stores in Elmont.
My kid was born in 75 so I figure I'm close to your parents age when I lived there.
I worked at GEM's as a kid as did my younger sister.
If I recall...I always thought GEM's pretty much had junk.
Be well
andy
Junk???? hardly. I still have 125 vinyl record albums on display in my rec room. 5 are scratched. every group's greatest hits and elvis 1958 greatest hits---gold album still in the plastic wrapper. Sinatra box set on and on. they,ll hang for 40 more years. handing down everying.... Bob Delutri and Vinny Baush have every tool they gathered in 66. For my aunt Jo i purcased 20 ----8 foot ----trees-- *** elms,,,,, redwoods ,,,blossoms,,, on and on. Every single tree is over 40 feet tall in brentwood half acre. Pat Grillo <sadly passed in march<>has eveything she stole. Gail lyons still has the redwood table sold her father for 19 bucks in 66. thousand of homes have lawns fertilize by bags sold by GeM unloaded by Eddie colverd, riotous Ralph Polito and myself 66 and 67. junk??? no way.

Emil griffith < boxing champ with 3 differnt belts > purchased 4 chaise lounges with vinyl tubbing. still has 3 of them in st. albans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island