Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times
Only half of Arkansas, at most, would be considered scenic by those standards. In the Ozarks, you still have to deal with people's properties that could double as junkyards.
Of course they're free to do with it what they will, but it's not my thing.
Besides, most of Memphis' metro is in Tennessee. The part that is in Mississippi is one of the faster-growing areas, so they're doing something right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM

405 posts, read 823,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Only half of Arkansas, at most, would be considered scenic by those standards. In the Ozarks, you still have to deal with people's properties that could double as junkyards.
Of course they're free to do with it what they will, but it's not my thing.
Besides, most of Memphis' metro is in Tennessee. The part that is in Mississippi is one of the faster-growing areas, so they're doing something right.
It's not that North Mississippi is "doing something right." Memphis is just doing everything wrong. And even if you limit the naturally beautiful parts of Arkansas to half the state, that's still WAY better than the majority of Mississippi, which as I said is boring and lackluster until you get all the way down to the Gulf Coast.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM

405 posts, read 823,306 times
By the way, when North Mississippi is progressing more rapidly than Memphis and is drawing away a HUGE percentage of the jobs, residents, new businesses, tax revenue, etc. that Memphis once had an iron grip on, I think that that's something that the OP should strongly take into consideration when comparing Memphis to Little Rock and trying to decide which one to move to.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM

43 posts, read 94,917 times
I have not done more than drive thru LR since I was 4 years old, so cannot comment on how it is now.

That being said, I know Memphis all too well, lol. I would be okay with Mem if I had not watched all I loved about it be destroyed slowly.

IMHO, you can't really compare a major metro area with over a million people to one with only around two hundred thousand, it is apples and oranges. They are both fruit but completely different.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwithak View Post
I have not done more than drive thru LR since I was 4 years old, so cannot comment on how it is now.

That being said, I know Memphis all too well, lol. I would be okay with Mem if I had not watched all I loved about it be destroyed slowly.

IMHO, you can't really compare a major metro area with over a million people to one with only around two hundred thousand, it is apples and oranges. They are both fruit but completely different.
It really is an odd comparison to try to make. I did my best based on personal observations. Due to their size difference and location, each will offer things the other simply can't.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM

43 posts, read 94,917 times
nathanTim, I agree, with a heavy heart as it pains me to admit. Memphis is my home city and while I still love parts of it, I realized it was a toxic relationship. I kept going back to it like a battered woman returning to the man abusing her, defending the ugliness for a long time.

The local government is a mess, until more changes are made there it will be more of the same. There have been some positive things in recent years, but worse ones as well. Now the city and county schools are consolidating, and the independent burbs are throwing fits about it, but still separate councils and mayors and services, etc.

Very few places I remember from childhood are still around, ones that are have changed completely but such is the world.

I do think DC drivers may be worse though

Due to husband's job situation, LR looks to be a stopping point for a year on my way to the west coast, and I will not be returning to Memphis area to live again.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanTim View Post
WELL, I always tell people my truthful feedback about Memphis or anywhere else, but of course it's opinion shaped by personal experience.

You do what you have to do, go where you must if there aren't viable options. I tell everyone if you MUST move to Memphis, try to do your time and get out of there, why ? it's not going to appreciably change for the better in 15 years, but if you HAVE 15 more years to "Invest" in that losing proposition, then go right ahead ! I will be LONG gone and deal with Mem on my terms, when I want to. People in Memphis actually expect residents to LIE about the city, pretending it's some great shakes when it's not, or they expect you to sweep the truth under the rug, or suggest Mem is a "great city" when any fool who has lived there can tell you it's NOT (if they have lived anywhere else in the nation or world) But I never figured out why all of the overt defensiveness and open hostility to posters and residents who choose not to cheerlead about a city there is little to "cheerlead" about !! many actually resent dissenting opinions and attempt to silence them at every turn !! OTHER cities I have lived in, and talked about DON'T behave with such paranoia, vindictiveness and stupidity ! ONLY Memphis ! and it's not my imagination ! others I know personally, some of whom have posted here and left permanently, agree with my observation that Memphis can't handle criticism about its obviously being behind other towns and cities in the South and the US ! it's like they actually become enraged if you suggest that Memphis is DEFICIENT. No one who has lived anywhere else of any true quality would really diagree with that in most respects and categories. Hey, Memphis can't even "get along" with Nashville and all of the NEW great accolades being heaped on them by the New York Times and many other publications. Memphis even RESENTS the accomplishments of its own capital city ! ha ! DOES THAT tell you anything ???

Good luck, change is good, personal growth is always desirable. Memphis has some very good people, but the tide is against them it seems to me based on my own experiences which are extensive.

Go on about your new life and location, and be safe with your family. When you visit Memphis again, you won't see much change...I never do upon returning either lol
Your observations of Memphis and mine of Little Rock are very similar. At best LR is a stopover to other things..... if you absolutely have to. I just don't see the wide gap in quality that you do.
I would never recommend either town to just anybody. It takes a special circumstance to do it.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,261,491 times
If Memphis is that terrible why do so many of Little Rock's young professionals spend their weekends there enjoying the nightlife, culture, and shopping? It was quite funny that while living in Little Rock I would always run into other random Little Rock people I knew on the weekends in Memphis. Memphis has plenty of problems but it's certainly well above Little Rock. The young professional population in Little Rock is very transient and most who move there work to move elsewhere as fast as possible. Educated people who grow up there tend to leave.

I agree with the above poster that said Little Rock is a pass through type of city where you do your time there and get out. It's not a horrible place to live but its not for people who prefer city living.

To Little Rock's defense, it's not a bad place if you enjoy outdoor recreation as plenty is nearby, even in the city limits. It beats Memphis in that area hands down.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I grew up in Memphis and attended Hendrix for undergrad so I spent a lot of time in LR (and I now live in St. Louis, FWIW). Of the two cities I'd probably pick LR. Memphis is bigger and there's probably more to do there, but LR is cleaner and much prettier geographically. I've always been impressed with how much there actually is to do in LR despite its small size. It seems like more of an over-achiever while Memphis seems like an under-achiever. Most people I know in LR seem to have an attitude that is apathetic-to-positive about the city, while most Memphians I know are apathetic-to-negative. It's also much easier to avoid the ghetto in LR due to 630 separating the two halves of the city. In Memphis it's all mixed in together so it's hard to escape without fleeing to the burbs. Memphis is by no means a bad city, but I'd just have to give the edge to LR, which says quite a lot considering its metro area is half the size of Memphis'.
That's interesting...the divide of the 630 separating the city in halves. Sounds a bit like Chicago in that way.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 AM

537 posts, read 824,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If Memphis is that terrible why do so many of Little Rock's young professionals spend their weekends there enjoying the nightlife, culture, and shopping? It was quite funny that while living in Little Rock I would always run into other random Little Rock people I knew on the weekends in Memphis. Memphis has plenty of problems but it's certainly well above Little Rock. The young professional population in Little Rock is very transient and most who move there work to move elsewhere as fast as possible. Educated people who grow up there tend to leave.

I agree with the above poster that said Little Rock is a pass through type of city where you do your time there and get out. It's not a horrible place to live but its not for people who prefer city living.

To Little Rock's defense, it's not a bad place if you enjoy outdoor recreation as plenty is nearby, even in the city limits. It beats Memphis in that area hands down.
I view that as one of the pluses for Little Rock. It's close enough to Memphis to make a day trip there and take advantage of its offerings without having to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area