Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,032,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
Thanks guys!
I guess I asked off the strip because the strip traffic is a nightmare, isn't it?? I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get to the Riviera to the Palms on a Saturday night... how much is THAT gonna cost me in cab fare? (this is before the rental car).
Tell the cab driver to take Industrial to Dean Martin. It basically runs parallel to the Strip and I-15. The exit for Palms is Hotel Rio Drive which intersects with Flamingo Dr. just east of the Palms. (Actually since Industrial/Dean Martin runs below street level, Hotel Rio Dr. just brings it up to street level and dumps you on Flamingo.)

I take that route all the time from the Wynn because not only is it better than driving down the Strip, it is even usually more convenient and quicker than taking the I-15 hwy. Although I pick up Industrial from Fashion Show Dr., you'll pick it put from Circus Circus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
If you like comfort food, try Tiffany's Cafe, inside of the White Cross Pharmacy. It's on LVBS & Oakey, just north of the Stratosphere. You can reach it on the Deuce bus, and it's open 24 hours a day. It's been open for 60 years, making it the first and oldest 24 hour restaurant in Las Vegas. They have an eclectic menu, and they give large portions at great prices. IMHO, they have one of the best burgers in town. Their smallest burger is 1/2 lbs, and it comes with fries for $4.95.

You know what they say about good food, you ask a fat man!
I want to try that one! Thanks! I think it's real close to a great frozen custard place I absolutely LOVE!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,669,791 times
Actually, taking the bus would be a lot cheaper, just not faster. A 24 hour pass on the Deuce (a double decker bus) is $7 per person, and allows you unlimited rides on all RTC buses. Perfect for sightseeing.

Take the Deuce south to Flamingo Blvd, where you'll connect to the 202 west. All RTC buses are clean, free of graffiti and urine, and air conditioned.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,131,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
From the Strip (or the Palms) go east on Flamingo, past Maryland Parkway about a block to Blueberry Hill Restaurant. Good cheep breakfast, lunches, and even dinner.
There's one on Decatur, south of US-95, too. We've eaten there a couple of times, and it's pretty good.

As for the OP, the Palace Station buffet is pretty cheap, but not terribly good. I disagree with the person that said that the Excalibur buffet is good - we went there a few weeks ago (first time in 15 years) and I was NOT impressed - we won't be back.

Some of the resort buffets have an all-day pass for around $25. I've heard (but not verified) that those passes can be used at any of the buffets owned by the same company (e.g. MGM/Mirage good at MGM, Excalibur, etc). Either way, it's a decent deal, even if you have to go back to the same property to eat.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 AM

628 posts, read 2,046,266 times
Yes the new buffet pass is I think $35? And it is good at a lot of buffets--including Paris (I can't remember where else but I think at least 7 total buffets) and yes it is all day eating!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's one on Decatur, south of US-95, too. We've eaten there a couple of times, and it's pretty good.
I went there a couple of weeks ago and I must confess that I was less than impressed. The food was okay, but the whole vibe of the place was that of a local version of Dennys. The only thing missing from the menu was the Grand Slam.

My wife and I eat out maybe 5-10 times/week, but Blueberry Hill is probably the only restaurant that we've been to that we have absolutely no interest in returning to. Again, not that it was bad, but simply because there was nothing special that would draw us back.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,131,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I went there a couple of weeks ago and I must confess that I was less than impressed. The food was okay, but the whole vibe of the place was that of a local version of Dennys. The only thing missing from the menu was the Grand Slam.

My wife and I eat out maybe 5-10 times/week, but Blueberry Hill is probably the only restaurant that we've been to that we have absolutely no interest in returning to. Again, not that it was bad, but simply because there was nothing special that would draw us back.
No, nothing special. I wouldn't have mentioned it if they other poster hadn't. We've been twice, both in the late evening (past 10pm). The first time, the food was good but the service was horrible, and the place was almost empty. The second time we went, the food was the same but the service was much better. I'd put it a little above Denny's in most respects, but in the same league.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,867,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Ah, there's your first problem, MBA, you didn't think. That's ok, no one ever accused you skinny people of having a surfeit of brain cells.
Despite my intellectual limitations I've managed to avoid becoming broke, un(der)employed, and living on someone's couch.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:26 PM

450 posts, read 1,515,070 times
Blueberry Hill is great! Big portions and cheap! Love that place!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Some of the resort buffets have an all-day pass for around $25. I've heard (but not verified) that those passes can be used at any of the buffets owned by the same company (e.g. MGM/Mirage good at MGM, Excalibur, etc). Either way, it's a decent deal, even if you have to go back to the same property to eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
Yes the new buffet pass is I think $35? And it is good at a lot of buffets--including Paris (I can't remember where else but I think at least 7 total buffets) and yes it is all day eating!
I'm pretty certain that MGM does not offer a multi-property pass. IOW, if you buy a pass at Excalibur, you can only eat at Excalibur.

OTOH, Harrah's does offer a multi-property 24-hr. pass. I believe that it works for CP, IP, PH, Harrah's, Paris, Rio and Flamingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: