Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Which side of LV do you prefer for easy access HIKING/TRAILS, etc.?

Thinking in terms of eventually getting a house..being in Clark County...BUT...also close enough proximity to some hiking trails, places to explore...either walking, mountain biking, or maybe even ATV (if an HOA would allow - or do people park that stuff in the garage and quickly close the door?)...

Also, thinking in terms of either WEST side or EAST side (Henderson)...or even SW or NW or SE or NE...

Also, thinking of advantages/disadvantages to various ones...

Just entire topic, I'm interested in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
west side close to Redrock Canyon.....east side doesnt offer much hiking

Old 05-13-2010, 12:06 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
You can find just about any where close to hiking and atv use, it depends on how much you can spend for your house will determine where you will live. And as you said some communities don't allow atv's or trailors parked in their yards or drive ways.

[SIZE=4]Nevada State and National Parks in the Las Vegas Surrounding Areas[/SIZE]
Located 10 miles north of Las Vegas from US Hwy 95 to Durango to Tule Springs Road. .... Get Hiking Las Vegas It covers some 60 trails from Mt Charleston to Red ... A four wheel drive, ATV or hardy hiking shoes are recommended for some ...
www.lvlg.com/lasvegas/attracts/parks

Old 05-13-2010, 02:27 PM

89 posts, read 232,820 times
So many people have no idea how great the Las Vegas Valley is for outdoor activities. I bought the house I live in with outdoor activites being one of my strongest priorities. After tons of research, I found Southeast Henderson is the best area hands down.

You have endless desert trails and canyons right behind your neighborhood. You are 10 min. to Lake Mead and the worldclass mt. bike trails in Bootleg Canyon. The river mountain trail runs right behind your house. If you're not familiar, it's an incredible 35 mile paved path that runs through the desert foothills of Henderson and connects to Bootleg Canyon, Lake Mead and Hoover Dam and endless singletrack trails along the way. Neighborhood bike paths converge upon the new 43,000 s.f. aquatics center and the 160 acre Heritage Park which is under construction and already funded. It's an incredible area if you want to be active outdoors.

The neighborhoods are safe and quiet and most of the houses have 3 car garages so we have room for our toys. One of the older neighborhoods has a lot of horse properties. And it only takes me 20 min to get to the strip. As if all that wasn't enough, houses are cheap.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:26 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
For hiking the northwest or west. For ATVs the furthest you can get on the edge of town just about any direction. But expect to lose your ridng areas as the town builds up around you. For mountain biking, look toward Red Rock Canyon.

In short, it really doesn't matter. You are smack in the middle of hundreds of thousands of square miles of the great outdoors. You'd be better off asking which ORV (OHV in CAL) for getting there, or RV for camping you should buy.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
I prefer the WILD side...right down the middle...of The Strip!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinVegas View Post
The river mountain trail runs right behind your house. If you're not familiar, it's an incredible 35 mile paved path that runs through the desert foothills of Henderson and connects to Bootleg Canyon, Lake Mead and Hoover Dam and endless singletrack trails along the way.
Is it completed now? The website mentioned 2010:

Welcome to the River Mountains Trail, A Nevada Community Partnership, City of Henderson, Boulder City

Looks awesome...
Thanks for the info!

Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Is it completed now? The website mentioned 2010:

Welcome to the River Mountains Trail, A Nevada Community Partnership, City of Henderson, Boulder City

Looks awesome...
Thanks for the info!
That's quite a trail. It would be pretty hot in summer though. I've seen parts of it. I even rode the train one time. But recently I've walked a little bit of it. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 12,201 times
I reccomend the southwest near Red Rock if you like hiking. Mountains Edge is a good area.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenns View Post
I reccomend the southwest near Red Rock if you like hiking. Mountains Edge is a good area.
I absolutely love the look of RED ROCK...and Mt. Charleston is real interesting as well.

I also kind of like Henderson though as well...particularly interesting that drive coming from Boulder City...when at night, you just suddenly overlook the entire valley...something breathtaking about that...

But I suppose that is more the 'drive' from Boulder City itself...and at night in particular...than the Red Rock/Mt. Charleston over on the west side. I haven't particularly found Lake Mead all that interesting...but Hoover Dam with the curvy roads with mountains is kind of a cool interesting spot.

So much beauty around in Southern Nevada...I'm routinely shocked most people generally ONLY go to the Strip itself, and miss out on all that is around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas