Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,573,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
yeah, but...it's Nevada. It isn't exactly a massive farmland, big lawns for every house type of area.

Interesting about the repair shop, and not being able to find an employee who can make it at 8am. Interesting with the high unemployment numbers in Nevada...which kind of confirms my feeling that Americans just simply prefer unemployment benefits than working...meaning jobs are around, just too many prefer the non-work option. If that is true what you say about being unable to find anyone to work for you there.

I work in social work and boy can I confirm that. There seems to be endless amounts of people that mooch off tax money for no other reason than laziness. And to make it worse, these same people feel they not only deserve it but deserve more and more and more. Sometimes they will complain to me and it takes all my willpower to not get in an argument with them. The really sad part is half of them view having more kids as a bigger pay check from uncle sam and treat them like hell.

In regards to illegal immigration, I think these two topics go hand in hand. If we want to get immigration in order we need to get these freeloaders either being productive or allow those that are willing to come here and work hard a place in society.

On a side note, I am well aware that there are plenty of people that do not abuse the system and genuinely need disability etc. - in fact, these people are probably even more ticked off at the moochers than I am.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,235,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhiker10 View Post
What I hate the most are people defending illegals. They are here illegally, no ifs or buts. Illegal immigration undermine legal immigration. What is even more irritating are the government officials not doing anything about the problem. Labor laws and immigration laws are being ignored and yet they do nothing and more than likely will take the easy way to solve the problem by giving amnesty.
It must be nice to be one of those chosen few who see the most murkey of circumstance with total clarity.

The Mexican illegal was for many, many years US government sponsored. It still is tolerated and ignored in certain areas of endeavor.

While tight border control is a perfectly reasonable goal the destruction of family and the effective forced deportation of US citizens is not terribly desirable. It is also hopelessly impractical in terms of costs and social fabric disruption.

Practically we need to legalize those well established and then be very sure that we don't again regrow the problem.

Note that I am reasonably sure two of my grandparents were illegal and know that several others of their generation also were so. I suspect that many of us would find a similar position by going back a few generations.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:57 AM

182 posts, read 246,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The public hospital in Atlanta had to shut down its dyalisis center because so many of them were showing up there. We need to be compassionate and not just let them die but at the same time we cannot just take all comers and pay for it alone. I don't know what the solution really is. One way would be to help the Mexicans set up their own medical clinics in Mexico and train the technicians and nurses to operate the equipment so these people can be saved in their own nations.
Do we let Grady dialysis patients die? *| ajc.com
UMC treats people as they come in for humanitarian reasons, the way I see it, make a database of all the ones without proper papers or documentations. Surely these people must have came with in with some form of identification, UMC can apply the same procedure they normally do for citizens and legal immigrants. The problem with UMC they do not network with the other concerned agencies of the government especially pertaining to the illegals flooding UMC. One note though regarding the illegals, they are notorious for identity theft and forged documents so that opens up another can of worms. The good thing coming out of it, UMC will have a database of documents, albeit forged documents/stolen SSN they can share with the proper agencies.

Whatever happened to the planned wall they are supposed to erect south of the border? While the wall may not deter illegals from crossing, it will at least lessen the flow.

Last edited by Jhiker10; 04-26-2010 at 12:21 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 12:24 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,267,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It must be nice to be one of those chosen few who see the most murkey of circumstance with total clarity.

The Mexican illegal was for many, many years US government sponsored. It still is tolerated and ignored in certain areas of endeavor.

While tight border control is a perfectly reasonable goal the destruction of family and the effective forced deportation of US citizens is not terribly desirable. It is also hopelessly impractical in terms of costs and social fabric disruption.

Practically we need to legalize those well established and then be very sure that we don't again regrow the problem.

Note that I am reasonably sure two of my grandparents were illegal and know that several others of their generation also were so. I suspect that many of us would find a similar position by going back a few generations.

Just because they can get over here easily does not mean that it should be allowed. I'm not against people coming into America for a better life but they need to do it legally. Yes we have ancestors that probably came over illegally but with resources the way they are, population etc. we cannot just allow people to come without following proper procedures. We live in different times changes have to be made.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM

901 posts, read 1,900,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
What I hate the most are people pointing to legal immigration while not knowing anything about immigration laws in the USA.

We do not have immigration laws that cover the NEED for cheap, unskilled labor. There is NO LEGAL labor-based immigration option for people who are willing to mow the lawn in 115 F heat for minimum wage.

And we don't have a population that wants to pay $25/hour for a pasty, legal hamburger flipper.
Today's society is part of the problem. When I was growing up, it was common for teenagers to perform many of the jobs now done by illegals. Most of my friends and I used to wash dishes, cut lawns, work on farms, etc, for extra money. Today's generation of youth has been coddled too much and many feel this type work is beneath them (at least at or near minimum wage), which leads to a demand for an illegal workforce.

Quote:
Practically we need to legalize those well established and then be very sure that we don't again regrow the problem
The Immigration Act of 1986 was supposed to solve all of our immigration problems. It gave amnesty to those who were here illegally, but the employer sanction part of the law is/was rarely enforced.

I don't know what the answer is, but much like gun laws, I would prefer that the government enforce current law before passing new ones. The problem is that few have the stomach and/or political will to enforce what is on the books now. Why should I or anyone else believe that any new law will be enforced? I feel we will simply see history repeat itself and we will revisit this issue again in another 20 years.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:00 PM

182 posts, read 246,609 times
Quote:

How are you supposed to distinguished well established from the ones that are not established? Years of being here illegally? What are the parameters? Forced deportation may not be desirable for you but they came in illegally, oh well, there are many who came here legally and were separated from their loved ones so they may earn a living and give a better life for the ones they left behind.

The easy way out for the government is amnesty, it has been done in the past but it does not mean it should be done everytme. Effective border patrol, tougher fines for employers hiring illegals, crackdown on these employers hiring illegals, damn raise that border and if they want to have people working our farmlands then increase contract workers visa.

Immigration in this country favor skilled over the unskilled for obvious reasons. Increasing contract workers visa could be just one part of the solution. With more people acquiring workers visa it is an added income for the country, much like the way it has been done with legal immigration.

mod interpose: thread closed as the discussion no longer is specific to Las Vegas. Further discussion should be done over at our P&OC forum or its sub-forum.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-26-2010 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas