Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
Without those illegals, you can expect to pay more for veggies, lawn care, etc. I owned a lawn care business in Phoenix and would stop by the daily work daily pay places for help; pretty rare to find a white guy willing to push a mower in 110 degree heat. Now I own my own repair shop and don't care if the guy comes from Mars as long as he shows up at 8am. Which I haven't been able to find, white or mexican, legal or illegal.
yeah, but...it's Nevada. It isn't exactly a massive farmland, big lawns for every house type of area.

Interesting about the repair shop, and not being able to find an employee who can make it at 8am. Interesting with the high unemployment numbers in Nevada...which kind of confirms my feeling that Americans just simply prefer unemployment benefits than working...meaning jobs are around, just too many prefer the non-work option. If that is true what you say about being unable to find anyone to work for you there.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 AM

946 posts, read 2,605,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
yeah, but...it's Nevada. It isn't exactly a massive farmland, big lawns for every house type of area.

Interesting about the repair shop, and not being able to find an employee who can make it at 8am. Interesting with the high unemployment numbers in Nevada...which kind of confirms my feeling that Americans just simply prefer unemployment benefits than working...meaning jobs are around, just too many prefer the non-work option. If that is true what you say about being unable to find anyone to work for you there.
Thanks for your open mind and attitude. I have a lot of mixed feelings on this: 20 years ago I owned a lawn business in Phoenix and used to go to the daily work daily pay places; I would suss out the workers and ask them to work for me; 99% were Hispanic. I mowed lawns in 115+ degree heat and didn't care what anybody's skin color was as long as they could hang. And the only guys willing to do that were Mexican.

You are correct about unemployment benefits vs. working--the last mechanic I had applied for food stamps and could not show up for work at 8 am--he could not get up at 8am to save his life (well, at least to keep his job).

In Arizona, I lived next door to a guy who had crossed over illegally many times. He saved up, got his green card and his family members visited him occasionally, but not to live. Note that; he had to cross over the border several times, sending money home, before he could even afford to officially file for legal residency. I never blamed or judged him; if I was in his position, with starving kids at home, I would have done the same thing.

Anyway, I am getting off-topic. And still looking for a mechanic, even somebody who doesn't know much but at least has the work ethic to show up at 8am every morning.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 AM

182 posts, read 246,418 times
What I hate the most are people defending illegals. They are here illegally, no ifs or buts. Illegal immigration undermine legal immigration. What is even more irritating are the government officials not doing anything about the problem. Labor laws and immigration laws are being ignored and yet they do nothing and more than likely will take the easy way to solve the problem by giving amnesty.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 AM

@
Tiger

If I ever find out for some strange reason your business address, immigration agents will be knocking at your door if you truly own a business and Dept of Labor officials will not be far behind.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
When Oklahoma cracked down on illegal immigrants a few years back, many of them fled to neighbouring states. With Arizona doing the same thing now, I wonder if they will look at moving to Nevada and Las Vegas. If they do, how much of a strain will that put on the schools and other services? I remember when Hurricane Katrina hit and thousands of people who fled New Orleans ended up here in Cobb County Georgia and my kid's school had to put up a dozen trailers almost overnight to accommodate all of them. It was a bit crazy but eventually we absorbed them OK.
This is good timing because I was just in Las Vegas for four days, and this exact subject was brought up on one of the Vegas TV news stations. There was speculation that Arizona's new law would force the illegal aliens to flee to Nevada. If that's the case, then Nevada had better step up its efforts to curb illegal immigration as well! Otherwise, Nevada will face the same problems as the "border states" in terms of crime, overcrowding hospitals, sponging off welfare services, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
Without those illegals, you can expect to pay more for veggies, lawn care, etc. I owned a lawn care business in Phoenix and would stop by the daily work daily pay places for help; pretty rare to find a white guy willing to push a mower in 110 degree heat. Now I own my own repair shop and don't care if the guy comes from Mars as long as he shows up at 8am. Which I haven't been able to find, white or mexican, legal or illegal.
Oh, that's just wonderful! So you're saying that you would willingly hire anybody whether he/she is illegal or not?! Business owners who knowingly hire illegals are putting the customer at risk because of possible increaseed criminal activity ... and the workers often do not speak English, causing a huge communication barrier. Besides, the practice of hiring illegals is illegal itself. Maybe one of these days, ICE will show up at your door & put you out of business completely!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhiker10 View Post
@
Tiger

If I ever find out for some strange reason your business address, immigration agents will be knocking at your door if you truly own a business and Dept of Labor officials will not be far behind.
Either your English is weak, or your Reading is weak...but if you were in my class in Japan...I'd be giving you an 'F' this week.

(In other words, you've read the thread wrong to accuse/threaten me, as I'm not even in the U.S., for starters, let alone hiring illegals or an owner of a business).

Old 04-26-2010, 03:03 AM

^^^^^^^I meant to type in Teach, my bad, post was not meant for you, obviously you must have understood the message of my post because we are pretty much on the same side as far as what was being discussed.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
This is good timing because I was just in Las Vegas for four days, and this exact subject was brought up on one of the Vegas TV news stations. There was speculation that Arizona's new law would force the illegal aliens to flee to Nevada. If that's the case, then Nevada had better step up its efforts to curb illegal immigration as well! Otherwise, Nevada will face the same problems as the "border states" in terms of crime, overcrowding hospitals, sponging off welfare services, etc.
I will start quoting people from now on to be on the safe side. Hehehe but anyway there was an issue a few months ago about UMC treating illegals whenever they come in and it is costing the hospital a big sum of money.

________

ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM MEXICO TAX KIDNEY DIALYSIS TREATMENT IN VEGAS
By Jay David Murphy.

+
With the health care scare going on nation wide, it is a real issue in Las Vegas with illegal immigrants from Mexico lining up in the UMC emergency room for free kidney dialysis at tax payer expense and outrage.

Illegal immigrants from Mexico who need kidney dialysis are putting a 20 million dollar stress on UMC (University Medical Center) in Las Vegas. In the midst of health care reform the bright lights of Vegas are shinning on this issue which as got tax payers in an uproar.
The illegal’s are pressing the emergency room doctors to treat them and are waiting until it they are in critical condition to pay a visit. Doctors are forced by a 1986 law; The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, to treat anyone who doctors deem are in serious life threatening peril.
But this is almost three times more expensive than regular doctor care for kidney patients needing dialysis, costing as much as 18,000 dollars per visit.
This issue in Las Vegas was brought to focus by an article in the Review Journal which covered the story with insights from illegals. Since Sunday’s run, 100’s of comments have been left on their web site with enraged citizens.
Monday Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak weighed into the fray after the article was published. He spoke with members of the media and that's when Digital Journal was able to get a few quotes.
Sisolak gave a solution of sorts, “The best thing we can do is work with the Mexican consulate, and we need to come up with a plan that will work. These are people who obviously need health care, but we are stretched beyond belief.”
But this unfortunately is only the tip of illegal emergency medical iceberg which flows on the US Mexico border up to Las Vegas’ only public hospital.
It has also been just in the last year that word as got around to the illegal population in Las Vegas that if they wait until they are critical that UMC Emergency services will take care of them, now treating 80 such people, up from just a hand full last year.
In Arizona and Florida, officials there send those illegal immigrants back to their countries of origin for treatment, most of the time against their will. Something that is opposed by Mexican Consul Mariano Leuma Gas, who says that many of his countries states are so poor that they do not even have dialysis available, and those that do, are overrun.
There are two federal laws that are in play and one seems to be in use, caring for the sick and the other, deporting illegal aliens is not, at least in Nevada.
Meanwhile, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has also got into the middle of this dilemma.
Through a spokesperson, he has promised to work on more funding for the indigent and immigration reforms.
Representative Dean Heller of Nevada issued this statement, "This is one of the many areas that have not been addressed in the course of the current health care debate. I do not support taxpayer-funded health benefits for those who are in this country illegally."
Politicians are walking a tight rope on this issue, almost all responses from the various press releases state that we need both medical and immigration reforms. But no one has stepped forward with solutions. So these two issues have now become intertwined.
Taking time to speak with citizens on the streets of Las Vegas today, Digital Journal decided to take an informal poll and see what the man on the street felt.
The unexpected comment, that seemed to run through everyone’s responses, was that “we are paying for illegals and indigent health through higher insurance premiums,” as one gentleman put while sipping a whiskey before noon.
It is an issue between the have and have not. Those who have, don’t want to pay for those who do not. Those who don’t have, want or as in the case of medical treatment, a need to keep them alive.
So the health care issue that has been put off be politicians for decades in America, is again raising this multiple headed monster attached to one body. This time it is the human kidney making an appearance on the political scene and bringing Illegal immigration and health care together, making it even tougher for politicians to fight through the myriad stones that this latest story has laid on the path to finding a solution to the health care dilemma facing Americans.
But it is more than that; it is becoming a morality issue, money over people or people over money. Some how there has to be a balance between our humanity and the cost of caring. Until we can find that balance, health care and its costs will continue to ham string the economy, and choices by the have not crowd will continue to find loop holes to get treatment. This will continue until politicians get off their cushy chairs in Washington and step up and make the hard choices, but of course they want to keep their jobs, they have great health care paid for by the citizens who elected them to be there.
Health care is a dog chasing its tail issue and until we stop bickering and getting angry over the politics of it, we will continue to deal with rising health care costs, insurance rates, and more and more Americans will be left with out any health care.
It is becoming a philosophical question, life over money or money over life, it is affront on our humanity, it is a tragedy that services are available but with out the money, lives are being lost, and once again we are faced with this crucible, we are placing a higher value on a dollar than we are a human being.

DIGITAL JOURNAL

Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,756,204 times
Quote:
What I hate the most are people defending illegals. They are here illegally, no ifs or buts. Illegal immigration undermine legal immigration.
What I hate the most are people pointing to legal immigration while not knowing anything about immigration laws in the USA.

We do not have immigration laws that cover the NEED for cheap, unskilled labor. There is NO LEGAL labor-based immigration option for people who are willing to mow the lawn in 115 F heat for minimum wage.

And we don't have a population that wants to pay $25/hour for a pasty, legal hamburger flipper.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
I will start quoting people from now on to be on the safe side. Hehehe but anyway there was an issue a few months ago about UMC treating illegals whenever they come in and it is costing the hospital a big sum of money.

________

ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM MEXICO TAX KIDNEY DIALYSIS TREATMENT IN VEGAS
By Jay David Murphy.

+
With the health care scare going on nation wide, it is a real issue in Las Vegas with illegal immigrants from Mexico lining up in the UMC emergency room for free kidney dialysis at tax payer expense and outrage.

Illegal immigrants from Mexico who need kidney dialysis are putting a 20 million dollar stress on UMC (University Medical Center) in Las Vegas. In the midst of health care reform the bright lights of Vegas are shinning on this issue which as got tax payers in an uproar.
The illegal’s are pressing the emergency room doctors to treat them and are waiting until it they are in critical condition to pay a visit. Doctors are forced by a 1986 law; The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, to treat anyone who doctors deem are in serious life threatening peril.
But this is almost three times more expensive than regular doctor care for kidney patients needing dialysis, costing as much as 18,000 dollars per visit.
This issue in Las Vegas was brought to focus by an article in the Review Journal which covered the story with insights from illegals. Since Sunday’s run, 100’s of comments have been left on their web site with enraged citizens.
Monday Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak weighed into the fray after the article was published. He spoke with members of the media and that's when Digital Journal was able to get a few quotes.
Sisolak gave a solution of sorts, “The best thing we can do is work with the Mexican consulate, and we need to come up with a plan that will work. These are people who obviously need health care, but we are stretched beyond belief.”
But this unfortunately is only the tip of illegal emergency medical iceberg which flows on the US Mexico border up to Las Vegas’ only public hospital.
It has also been just in the last year that word as got around to the illegal population in Las Vegas that if they wait until they are critical that UMC Emergency services will take care of them, now treating 80 such people, up from just a hand full last year.
In Arizona and Florida, officials there send those illegal immigrants back to their countries of origin for treatment, most of the time against their will. Something that is opposed by Mexican Consul Mariano Leuma Gas, who says that many of his countries states are so poor that they do not even have dialysis available, and those that do, are overrun.
There are two federal laws that are in play and one seems to be in use, caring for the sick and the other, deporting illegal aliens is not, at least in Nevada.
Meanwhile, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has also got into the middle of this dilemma.
Through a spokesperson, he has promised to work on more funding for the indigent and immigration reforms.
Representative Dean Heller of Nevada issued this statement, "This is one of the many areas that have not been addressed in the course of the current health care debate. I do not support taxpayer-funded health benefits for those who are in this country illegally."
Politicians are walking a tight rope on this issue, almost all responses from the various press releases state that we need both medical and immigration reforms. But no one has stepped forward with solutions. So these two issues have now become intertwined.
Taking time to speak with citizens on the streets of Las Vegas today, Digital Journal decided to take an informal poll and see what the man on the street felt.
The unexpected comment, that seemed to run through everyone’s responses, was that “we are paying for illegals and indigent health through higher insurance premiums,” as one gentleman put while sipping a whiskey before noon.
It is an issue between the have and have not. Those who have, don’t want to pay for those who do not. Those who don’t have, want or as in the case of medical treatment, a need to keep them alive.
So the health care issue that has been put off be politicians for decades in America, is again raising this multiple headed monster attached to one body. This time it is the human kidney making an appearance on the political scene and bringing Illegal immigration and health care together, making it even tougher for politicians to fight through the myriad stones that this latest story has laid on the path to finding a solution to the health care dilemma facing Americans.
But it is more than that; it is becoming a morality issue, money over people or people over money. Some how there has to be a balance between our humanity and the cost of caring. Until we can find that balance, health care and its costs will continue to ham string the economy, and choices by the have not crowd will continue to find loop holes to get treatment. This will continue until politicians get off their cushy chairs in Washington and step up and make the hard choices, but of course they want to keep their jobs, they have great health care paid for by the citizens who elected them to be there.
Health care is a dog chasing its tail issue and until we stop bickering and getting angry over the politics of it, we will continue to deal with rising health care costs, insurance rates, and more and more Americans will be left with out any health care.
It is becoming a philosophical question, life over money or money over life, it is affront on our humanity, it is a tragedy that services are available but with out the money, lives are being lost, and once again we are faced with this crucible, we are placing a higher value on a dollar than we are a human being.

DIGITAL JOURNAL
The public hospital in Atlanta had to shut down its dyalisis center because so many of them were showing up there. We need to be compassionate and not just let them die but at the same time we cannot just take all comers and pay for it alone. I don't know what the solution really is. One way would be to help the Mexicans set up their own medical clinics in Mexico and train the technicians and nurses to operate the equipment so these people can be saved in their own nations.
http://www.ajc.com/opinion/do-we-let-grady-272742.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas