Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:14 PM

18 posts, read 63,881 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Ive been reading these forums for quite a while and find all the information contain herein increadibly useful- so thought I would pose my particular scenario.

Ive managed to secure a transfer to a US office via my global employer and will be located in one of the cities above- any suggestions on which I should choose?

Im 28, single, female and would be looking to rent a property (probably a with a roomate) for the timebeing.
Most important things to me are being outdoors (I dont mind heat), so Id like to live somewhere I could have access to a communal pool or garden terrace with plenty of options for hiking/walking at the weekend. Maybe where you can walk to a neighbourhood bar?
I also dont want to spend all of my time commuting or making ends meet, would like to meet lots of friendly new people (including hopefully Mr Right!) and am not too bothered about clubs/fancy restaurants- a bbq by the pool would be more idea of a great evening. Obviously goes without saying that somewhere safe would be nice too...

Not sure about pay yet but I reckon 60-85 ish (more in California).

Would be extremely greatful for any advice- am just so excited about about a potential move to the US.
Thanks guys
Aje
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:11 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,002 times
Is this for a year or two or more of a permanent move? If it's not a permanent move and there's a pay differential to address the higher cost of living, San Diego is a no brainer to me. Longer term, California has some issues that I'd rather not deal with.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,061 times
Like Tony Soprano said: it depends on how long. Personally, I'd rule out Phoenix right away. You may love it but Phoenix vs Las Vegas is a no brainer, Vegas Wins.

San Diego Vs Costa Mesa is harder. I lived in San Diego and down the road from Costa Mesa in Newport Beach for 7 years prior to moving here. Personally, I like Orange County better than San Diego. However, if you want the beach and pubs/bars in a casual environment, plus an actual nighlife downtown in the Gaslamp than San Diego fits the bill.

Hell, at 28 and single San Diego is perfect.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 PM

182 posts, read 246,157 times
San Diego vs Costa Mesa, I'll take Costa Mesa being it is in the Orange County area, loads of areas to explore. I used to live in Laguna Beach, nice memories. I had a terrible experience during a visit to San Diego, rude people, so if you ask me I'll say Costa Mesa, you will have a great time in the area.

Las Vegas vs Phoenix of course Vegas!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,242 times
Lets see, your young, single, like the outdoors and have a good paying job. I'm sure Mr Right will find you.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ28 View Post
Hi there,
Ive been reading these forums for quite a while and find all the information contain herein increadibly useful- so thought I would pose my particular scenario.

Ive managed to secure a transfer to a US office via my global employer and will be located in one of the cities above- any suggestions on which I should choose?

Im 28, single, female and would be looking to rent a property (probably a with a roomate) for the timebeing.
Most important things to me are being outdoors (I dont mind heat), so Id like to live somewhere I could have access to a communal pool or garden terrace with plenty of options for hiking/walking at the weekend. Maybe where you can walk to a neighbourhood bar?
I also dont want to spend all of my time commuting or making ends meet, would like to meet lots of friendly new people (including hopefully Mr Right!) and am not too bothered about clubs/fancy restaurants- a bbq by the pool would be more idea of a great evening. Obviously goes without saying that somewhere safe would be nice too...

Not sure about pay yet but I reckon 60-85 ish (more in California).

Would be extremely greatful for any advice- am just so excited about about a potential move to the US.
Thanks guys
Aje
I would definitely go with San Diego for your number one choice. Number 2 would be Vegas. Phoenix is ok, but does not compare well with Vegas, and definitely not San Diego. I know nothing about Costa Mesa so I can not help you there.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:18 PM

177 posts, read 357,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I would definitely go with San Diego for your number one choice. Number 2 would be Vegas. Phoenix is ok, but does not compare well with Vegas, and definitely not San Diego. I know nothing about Costa Mesa so I can not help you there.
Phoenix is okay. The major problem is that the city is too unremarkable. I know it is one of the largest metropolitan area in the United States, but I really can't think of anything that can make it distinguish from other cities.

On the other hand, Las Vegas is very unique. To be specific, the Las Vegas Strip makes the whole metropolitican area irreplaceable. I am proud to be living in one of the most famous cities in the world. This is something that Phoenix can never give me.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Too many unknowns.

As to Costa Mesa versus San Diego...for a young lady of 28...San Diego...Costa Mesa is a sprawling suburban southwestern city. You don't walk anywhere. You grow wheels. San Diego has areas vastly more suited to living in a neighborhood.

Phoenix versus Las Vegas. Same deal...Phoenix is a huge sprawling southwest city where again you grow wheels. Vegas is not perfect but much, much better than Phoenix.

San Diego versus Las Vegas is not so simple. The big problem is that San Diego is around 20 or 25% more expensive than Las Vegas. If the salary has a cost of living component than one should clearly go to San Diego. If not though you will live a lot better in Las Vegas.

Personally ignoring all the rational stuff I would go to San Diego. Everybody should live at least a couple of years in the CA coastal plain...Nothing else like it.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 PM

151 posts, read 700,047 times
San Diego = lowest paid major city in California

Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario826 View Post
San Diego = lowest paid major city in California
Highly improbable...

Source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas