Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times

Advertisements

I am driving to San Diego on Thursday. Leaving around 9am... What is the quickest and easiest way there. Any must sees while I'm there? Also going to LA. Not sure what to do there either but I've seen universal, bev hills, and Hollywood. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,989,895 times
There's more than one way?

Seriously, it's either the Cajon pass, or drive through Arizona until you hit Interstate 40. And I'd only do that if the pass was closed.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 AM

399 posts, read 563,429 times
Did it last week (Friday) and it took 5 hours 20 minutes with 1 quick stop at McD's along the way. Left at 8am, there just after 1pm. I-15/215.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
You have to go to Sea World. I love that place.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:48 AM

460 posts, read 988,002 times
San Diego Zoo. But, it will take at least one full day. I've been there several times, and still don't think I've seen it all. Also, Balboa Park is nice.

Oh, and if you like the ocean, check out Mission Beach. Lots of eye candy.

And maybe the USS Midway.

Last edited by Muonic; 08-10-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM

69 posts, read 96,734 times
Hola Airics,

I have lived in San Diego 2X's.

Might I suggest for the mature man...

a) Cabrillo National Monument - Old Point Loma Lighthouse (U.S. National Park Service)

After you are done hang out in Ocean Beach

Pacific Beach and Mission Beach are for people that want to overspend on tourist stuff--think of Ocean Beach as a blast from the past with 60's culture and mostly bikes with no streetlights, just stop signs and a nice pier.

b) Torrey Pines Gliderport (http://flytorrey.com/cms/ - broken link)

Oh yes!

c) Hang out north of San Diego in Solana Beach and Moonlight Beach

If you want to go further; check out world-famous Trestles Surfspot

North County - Trestles to Torrey Pines

TRESTLES is a world famous river-mouth point break at the border of San Diego and Orange Counties. You’ve got to earn your waves at Trestles, with a long hike in from the parking lot and fierce competition from 50+ other surfers in the lineup, many of them experts and even professionals. Trestles works best on a good south to south west swell, and when it’s on, a session at Trestles can be epic. By comparison, the slow, easy rollers just down the coast at Old Man’s are perfect for learning virgins or longboarding veterans

d) Nude beach at Black's Beach in La Jolla

e) Ask the locals when you get there (in any upscale neighborhood within 1.5 miles of the beach

peace

r247

Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
The fastest way to San Diego is I-15 all the way. Do not take the I-215 "short cut" at San Bernardino. It is under major construction and it took us 8 hours to get to SD about a month ago.

One other place to see is Old Town. Old Town San Diego, Visit the Birthplace of California

And, Old Town Trolley Tours is the best way IMO to see the city too. (watch the audio on this link) San Diego Tours | San Diego Attractions | San Diego Trolley

You can leave your car behind and do the hop on - hop off while hitting most of the places mentioned above. You learn a lot from the funny tour drivers too. The busses are like open streetcars which is fun. Traffic and parking in San Diego make the busses and street cars the best way to go. It's my understanding that the SD Zoo is too hot to go this time of year, but Sea World is always a good place to visit.

On the way back we took I-8 E to Highway 79 N, all the way to Temecula, back to I-15 just to do a scenic drive. Julian and Temecula are good places to visit too.

About Julian

Old Town Temecula - A destination that transcends time

Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate Gambler43 View Post
After you are done hang out in Ocean Beach

Pacific Beach and Mission Beach are for people that want to overspend on tourist stuff--think of Ocean Beach as a blast from the past with 60's culture and mostly bikes with no streetlights, just stop signs and a nice pier.
Dude how long ago were you in OB? It is far and away the dirtiest, most disgusting beach in San Diego. If you want to see a bunch of homeless people and guys smoking weed on the seawall then OB is the place for you.

Cabrillo is a good pick, gaslamp is cool, Coronado is worth a visit. North County has all the nice scenic beaches, i.e. Encinitas, Solana, etc. If you want to stop between San Diego and LA, Dana Point or Newport is a good a spot as any (I'd say Laguna but there's too much traffic) to get some lunch, gas up and go.

You're on your own as far as LA, god I hate that place.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 PM

56 posts, read 120,610 times
the 15 takes you right into downtown San Diego.Downtown is nice,there's Seaport Village with many shops and restaurants as well as a nice area to people watch,fly kites and have a picnic.I love Old Town.I wish I had the income to live there.I could walk down to get breakfast at the Cantina every Sunday.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:44 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
EVERYTIME we go to SD we spend all of our eating time in OT.....LOVE the food.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: