Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,065,189 times

Advertisements

And we're to believe that first we'll get NBA and pro soccer franchises. And THEN we'll get the NFL and MLB -- all if we build this stadium.

Allow me to look out my window and see if any pigs are flying past my house on the way to the south-end of Henderson. This is going to be one MASSIVE money pit. Why don't we just assume we're getting the Olympic games -- both summer AND winter -- as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 PM

146 posts, read 530,741 times
@wwu

My understanding is that Executive Airport Dr. is going to extend down to Bicentennial and turn into "Via Inspirada". To my knowledge, these streets will not extend all the way to the I-15.

That said, the master streets and highways plan will be amended periodically as the population grows in West Henderson. In 20-30 years, we may indeed see an offramp that goes straight to Anthem. For now, the Bicentennial project will hopefully help when it's completed in 4th quarter 2011.

@ ScoopLV

Don't think I'm not as skeptical. I just feel that the people wanting to live in Inspirada and or West Henderson in general should be made aware of this project. My understanding on this project is that the City is willing to "donate" the land in order to avoid any additional taxes or "public" funds being needed to complete this. The fact that it is being done in phases should tell you right away that the developer is waiting to see if the first phase of lower profit sports will generate the investment to proceed to the final phase.

Even though it is preliminary, I think the rumblings of how it would be financed is a lot better than the Las Vegas and Clark County proposals. I still think the UNLV project is the best way to go overall though - UNLV needs an on campus football stadium that can draw more out of state students who pay higher tuitions.

We shall see! Any other thoughts?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 PM

4,788 posts, read 5,920,781 times
Claustrophobic places like that hold little appeal to sane people.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,065,189 times
Don't get me wrong, I'd give my left-[censored] to get an NFL franchise in Las Vegas.

Even if the team sucked, I'd still get to see the teams I like clobber them every other Sunday. And if the team didn't suck, they could be my #2. And personally, since this city is probably the best in the world at organizing things in order to make a profit, we'd certainly field a better team than Detroit. Maybe we'd start out about as good as the current Redskins.

Sports brings a community closer together. The bigger and better the sport, the closer it brings the community. NFL and MLB franchises are therefore the holy grail for Las Vegas. NBA? Not so much -- too many riots associated with basketball and pro hockey.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM

I think the concern is two-fold for many people:

1) They don't want to pay for it. Many feel that by paying for the parking, the mark-ups on the food, and the tickets themselves, they shouldn't be liable for additional taxes to build this. If the project flops, the taxpayer is on the hook. I agree that this is a problem in a state with high unemployment and a lower median household income.

To solve this, I think you allow the city to donate the land (which I've heard has been discussed), and maybe have a tax district for only the shops within the sports complex. Will the costs be passed on to us? Yeah, you might have to pay an extra $1 for that hot dog, but if you go to games frequently, its just an expectation.

2) Our history with sports teams. I think we've all heard of the LV Outlawz, our time in the AFL, and our semi-professional soccer team ... oh wait, you haven't? That is probably because we can only be a successful market with a marketable league unfortunately.

I think the idea to first house the soccer field and NBA/PBA/Hockey stadiums is a sound decision. It wouldn't make sense to put the more capital intensive football stadium and baseball field first, because a failed project would leave a white elephant. Also to note:

I am not for an NBA team, but I think the stadium would serve a great purpose for PBR and other concerts and events (UFC, Boxing, WWE). If UNLV cannot get a stadium built and has to relocate for renovations to the T&M, it helps. NBA Summer League and Pre-Season games could draw well without having to deal with the NBA.

Also, watch out for the explosion of the MLS. I for one have been a fan of the Premier League for years, and now have a genuine interest in MLS. I've seen the LA Galaxy and the Portland Timbers live and can tell you that the atmosphere is amazing. Tickets (even season) are low, and the various in-season tournaments and rivalries are really enjoyable. Las Vegas could benefit from an MLS team.

I agree that sports bring the community closer. If this project does reach its final phase (aquatic center, huge tennis center, soccer and baseball academies), the City of Henderson would not have to worry to much about Parks and Recreation in West Henderson.

While it is still VERY early, it appears that this will be a hotly debated topic.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 PM

18 posts, read 46,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaster3 View Post
You saw it here first people:

http://agendadocs.cityofhenderson.com/CC/AV/PDFConverter/pdftemp/15686.pdf (broken link)

Here is a "staff review" of the proposed stadium project, and where it will be located ... appears to be about a mile south of the M Resort.

Hope this information is useful (takes a while to load).
Ahh the link doesn't work for me

Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 PM

But found it here: http://agendadocs.cityofhenderson.co...=843&tit=Staff Review Agenda 8/31/2011

Item # 001 SRM 10:15

Old 08-29-2011, 10:28 AM

Yes offset_98, that was the link I thought I had copied and pasted... Thanks for that.

For those curious, the review agenda is just as the name implies .. no city council action is taken on these items. They are very preliminary in nature.

Very curious to see if this is put on a future agenda, possibly in October or later in the 4th quarter.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 PM

23 posts, read 40,838 times
I just stopped in today. It looks like there are only 17 more KB homes left to be purchased, before they can move on to Village 2. There is 1 Van Gogh 3167 in the final stages, and it sounds like there are more set to be completed in mid-late October.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 PM

I walked that 3161 today just to see how workmanship is. Looks like the drywall went up today or yesterday. A couple of those 3161's going up have that game room option over the garage too. I think there are 3 or 4 more set to be complete by October 17th (was the date I was told). I hope they continue to sell hard to start village 2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas