Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I would like to go to college but I do not know what to study yet. Perhaps after living in LV for awhile I may try to get into CSN and then transfer to UNLV if at all possible
That is precisely the way to go. No need to get yourself 100's of thousands of dollars in debt when you can attend a 2-year college and transfer to a state uni for the remaining two years. A college degree certainly doesn't guarantee you a job - but what it enables is an upward mobility not available to others. On average, people with college degrees have lifetime earnings nearly twice that of people without degrees.

A secondary benefit is exposure to knowledge - an art history degree ain't going to help you in the workforce, but taking a class in art history or any of the hundreds of other electives that are not prereqs for your degree will make you a more well-rounded person (and a better citizen).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:21 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
That is precisely the way to go. No need to get yourself 100's of thousands of dollars in debt when you can attend a 2-year college and transfer to a state uni for the remaining two years. A college degree certainly doesn't guarantee you a job - but what it enables is an upward mobility not available to others. On average, people with college degrees have lifetime earnings nearly twice that of people without degrees.
A secondary benefit is exposure to knowledge - an art history degree ain't going to help you in the workforce, but taking a class in art history or any of the hundreds of other electives that are not prereqs for your degree will make you a more well-rounded person (and a better citizen).
Will a Geographic Information Science degree be helpful? I am currently working on that and my major uses remote sensing, GPS, geospatial data, and alot of things tied to maps. Chances are, I don't know if I will get a job in metropolitan Atlanta and I am more than willing to leave(single, no kids,no girlfriend, nothing keeping me in GA other than pursuit of a college degree and cost of living), and I don't want to take a minimum wage job, especially if my education level calls for something better.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 AM

113 posts, read 328,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post

Those are awesome words. Great advice. Could be printed and put up on a lot of bulletin boards.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:34 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Will a Geographic Information Science degree be helpful? I am currently working on that and my major uses remote sensing, GPS, geospatial data, and alot of things tied to maps. Chances are, I don't know if I will get a job in metropolitan Atlanta and I am more than willing to leave(single, no kids,no girlfriend, nothing keeping me in GA other than pursuit of a college degree and cost of living), and I don't want to take a minimum wage job, especially if my education level calls for something better.
Last year, I took some coursework in GIS and the instructor had several links to companies offering employment. One was starting at $17 per hour with the USGS. It was short term work and it involved travel to Death Valley. I have noticed a steady stream of companies, including the one I work for, with analyst positions to fill in this field. The pay is in the $25-$30/hr range. Certified GIS analysts make considerably more.

GIS is a growth industry from what I have seen, but a certain amount of due diligence is necessary when times are as rough as they are. What I find so fascinating is the number of industries that utilize this data. You might want to check out overall industry hiring trends with ESRI and URISA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas