Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 AM

122 posts, read 359,537 times

Advertisements

i was told from the MPD. that if it's over 125cc. you need a Lic. anything under Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,142,068 times
you are exactly right LVRock.....the little ones are motorized rollar skates..... no lic needed....

Old 02-12-2011, 03:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,316,824 times
I have my motorcycle license and love sport bikes. I sold my Honda 1000rr when I moved to Las Vegas and after driving here I am not sure I will be buying another one (unless it was a dedicated track bike). Two things here that bother me:
  1. The roads are slick during the hot summer always, this isn't a big issue for four wheels, but two... Also when it finally does rain, the months of road contaminants rise to the surface and make for an ice rink of a road.
  2. The unfinished road construction and roads that are slapped down but never finished leave a ton of strange intersections with lanes that don't match up from one side of the intersection to the other. Also there are confusing lanes that end and begin randomly, sometimes with no notice. Couple this with a good portion of out of town drivers and there are a ton of mistakes made out there while driving.
Even with the out of towners here, the drivers seem tame compared to Utah drivers. In Utah I always rode like cars couldn't see me and were out to kill me (usually both true) and it served me well. Anyone riding a motorcycle or scooter should ride this way in my opinion.

If you like to gamble (risk taker) then a scooter or motorcycle might be perfect for you.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:01 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,573,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I have my motorcycle license and love sport bikes. I sold my Honda 1000rr when I moved to Las Vegas and after driving here I am not sure I will be buying another one (unless it was a dedicated track bike). Two things here that bother me:
  1. The roads are slick during the hot summer always, this isn't a big issue for four wheels, but two... Also when it finally does rain, the months of road contaminants rise to the surface and make for an ice rink of a road.
  2. The unfinished road construction and roads that are slapped down but never finished leave a ton of strange intersections with lanes that don't match up from one side of the intersection to the other. Also there are confusing lanes that end and begin randomly, sometimes with no notice. Couple this with a good portion of out of town drivers and there are a ton of mistakes made out there while driving.
Even with the out of towners here, the drivers seem tame compared to Utah drivers. In Utah I always rode like cars couldn't see me and were out to kill me (usually both true) and it served me well. Anyone riding a motorcycle or scooter should ride this way in my opinion.

If you like to gamble (risk taker) then a scooter or motorcycle might be perfect for you.
Maybe they should offer some sort of tax break for riding bikes. The longer you stay alive the bigger the chunk off your contribution to sales or property taxes. We would up revenue, thin the herd and cut down on fuel consumption and air pollution.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:22 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,573,048 times
Actually sorry we wouldn't up revenue but the rest still stands!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:15 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,041,618 times
Las Vegas social resource . . Nevada Scooter Brigade.

Las Vegas scooter rally . . High Rollers Weekend.

Scooter cross-country . . Cannonball Run.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:19 PM

121 posts, read 273,031 times
I can't believe how fearful everyone in this forum is. She wants to ride a moped in Vegas, not go hitchhiking in Afghanistan.

I ride a motorcycle almost everyday in Vegas and think it is a pretty good city for 2 wheeled vehicles. For one thing there are tons of concrete lane dividers that keep people from turning left into your path of travel.

I also see a VERY large numbers of scooters all over town. Just wear protective gear and be smart/careful.

FWIW, I don't think riding a moped is safer than riding the bus in a questionable part of town. But I'm a guy...

Old 02-17-2011, 02:39 PM

194 posts, read 398,469 times
Electric bikes are simply awesome. We'll get a couple and strap them to the back of our RV in the future. $1k and 20-30 miles on a single charge. Plus smooth and silent.

Federal Law, which supercedes state law, says if it's under 750 watts and limited to 20mph unassisted, it's still just a bicycle. No drivers license required.

Would I ride it down Vegas streets? HELL NO!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,216 times
i need to know whats true and whats not. i am a licensed holder don't drink but car engine blew up and needing transportation right now. i could purchase a bike but its to slow now on the other hand id like to purchase a moped even for just two months until i purchase me another vehicle in the mean time i still need to get from a to b. assist a young man if you would thank you so much for your postings

Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomemann44 View Post
i need to know whats true and whats not.
What do you NOT understand about the information on the Nevada DMV website? Are you making an honest assessment of the personal injury calculated risk for the traffic conditions you will encounter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: