Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 AM

228 posts, read 555,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthombles View Post
Is it safe to walk on shadow lane at night? I'm going to Valley.
Valley Hospital is just north of the Charleston/Shadow Lane intersection.

This area is Las Vegas' Medical District (UMC, Valley, UNLV School of Dental Medicine, UNLV Dental Clinic, Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health just a couple minutes east of Shadow Lane, ... )- so even during evening hours you'll find reasonable foot/car traffic.

However, with that said, I still wouldn't feel completely comfortable strolling the area at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
Quote:
Is it safe to walk on shadow lane at night? I'm going to Valley.
I used to live in the area [Mayan Plaza Apartments] it's a GREAT area and the Mayan is a great complex.....filled with a LOT of medical personal from Valley etc etc....I lived there for nearly 8 years

Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 PM

107 posts, read 326,945 times
If all you are going to do is drive back and forth to work and nothing else then look for a car that nobody wants. People all want Toyotas and Hondas. How many people want an old Ford Van? Think about that. Yes they get 10mpg in the city. But if your commute is only 5 miles each way that is only $3 a day. There are lots of gas guzzlers that are old and cheap to insure that no one wants. You have to look at cost per mile and safety. Ford Vans tend to be clunky, noisy, and not great to drive but they are reliable. Old Buicks are pretty reliable too. Check MSN Autos for reliability history before you buy.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM

203 posts, read 545,893 times
Quote:
Ok...I won't. But do u guys think I should just untuck my tail and use the bus?
Lets see you are nurse .a nurse makes a very good salary why not buy a car our cab it??? most of the comments in this room are just common sense. what ever you decide your safety should be paramount.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 PM

18 posts, read 39,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I used to live in the area [Mayan Plaza Apartments] it's a GREAT area and the Mayan is a great complex.....filled with a LOT of medical personal from Valley etc etc....I lived there for nearly 8 years

Ugh! That's so frustrating I looked at getting an apt there and then opted not to afraid it would be a bad area!! urg...i'm using the heck out of yall next time.

Update: I've been bumming rides at work so it looks like that's what I'll continue to do and nights I can't i'll ride the bus and get some mase.

As for why don't I just buy a car I make good money...I'm traveling to save money...yea i make good money but why spend it if you don't have to!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,260,216 times
Quote:

As for why don't I just buy a car I make good money...I'm traveling to save money...yea i make good money but why spend it if you don't have to!
Your priorities are VERY misplaced. I missed that part that you were a nurse who made good money. I thought you were broke. Hell, I make under $20,000 a year, and even I would not even consider not owning a car in Vegas. When you are robbed, raped. tortured or even murdered, I hope you can say "well at least I saved some money not owning a car and taking the bus."

Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM

18 posts, read 39,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Your priorities are VERY misplaced. I missed that part that you were a nurse who made good money. I thought you were broke. Hell, I make under $20,000 a year, and even I would not even consider not owning a car in Vegas. When you are robbed, raped. tortured or even murdered, I hope you can say "well at least I saved some money not owning a car and taking the bus."

I'm only gna be here for 3 months...already been here two weeks...

I would if I could find one for 500 but I haven't found one under 1000. IF yall hear of someone write me!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,526,274 times
I had a small motorcycle when I lived in Vegas. There was lots of gravel so it would slip. The traffic was not near as bad as now but motorists won't see you. This is a really dangerous idea unless you are only traveling a few blocks from your house on quiet residential streets and are not able to walk. NO!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:17 PM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I don't think its exactly legal to ride a bike on the sidewalk AND there is no way to avoid having to cross intersections..
IMO, a bike is safer than a moped, providing you are working at night. If you worked during the day, I'd advise against it. I'm sure there are back streets you can use to bike to work and when I bike I only use the sidwalks and residential streets, oftentimes late at night. Never any problems. Daytime, too much hassle dodging people on the sidewalks.

You do know that you can ride your bike to a bus stop and clip your bike onto the front of the bus, if you wish, at no extra charge.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
im quite the bicyclist .that being said ..everytime i would ride i would almost be hit 3 times a day .mostly by ladies on cel phones who never look my way,and are intent to see how soon they could get out into traffic.i did however wake in an ambulance the last day of july in 03 or sometime.so i strongly suggest ,never ride without a helmet ,never use the side walks,i believethe law is u must have bike lights.move closer to work.carry pepper spray or taser etc.thankfully with head trauma you have no memory of the incident ,but i think it was my fault my head hit the street .wear A helmet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: