Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,253 times

Advertisements

i will be moving to las vegas in march. i live in new york with my fiance. ill be moving to vegas in an apartment, while hes in new york, until later this year. i will not have a job, he will be paying the bills, until he can get here and we look for a home. i have family in vegas, and ill be flying out to look for an apartment. is it a feasable way to get around vegas on mass transit? ill probably end up buying a car before too long. but for someone moving alone, is public transportation reliable when youre first moving? ex. setting up; finding local grocery stores, paying bills and turning on utilities; etc? thanks for any help you can supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 PM

any help?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
If you pick an apartment on one of the major arterial it is marginally viable.

Off Charleston or Trop or such.

It won't work from the suburbs.

Note that much of what you want...utilities, grocery shopping etc can be done from a computer.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:25 PM

133 posts, read 419,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahm123 View Post
i will be moving to las vegas in march. i live in new york with my fiance. ill be moving to vegas in an apartment, while hes in new york, until later this year. i will not have a job, he will be paying the bills, until he can get here and we look for a home. i have family in vegas, and ill be flying out to look for an apartment. is it a feasable way to get around vegas on mass transit? ill probably end up buying a car before too long. but for someone moving alone, is public transportation reliable when youre first moving? ex. setting up; finding local grocery stores, paying bills and turning on utilities; etc? thanks for any help you can supply.

I relied on public trans. for awhile when I first moved out here, also from NY. While they have a cheap transit system, it is not always reliable and bus stops seem to be in less savory downright scary areas, it's hard, especially if you are not familair with Vegas yet. Local routes time tables seem to never be correct and depending on where you will be staying, prepare to be waiting a long time for the bus.
I also found most of the bus drivers for the local CAT routes (bus) very unhelpful when asking any questions as to where you need to go.
My suggestion is to use the internet like suggested above, or rent a car/borrow car from family.
Von's delivers groceries all throughout the valley and they were always great, on time, got the correct items ect.
Check out the CAT bus route/timetable on their official site, and you can get an idea.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:47 PM

thank you guys. much appreciated ! so look for apartment complex's very close to bus stops/ and or a busy street? sounds reasonable.
i have been to vegas a few times. have stayed with family in north las vegas, but it was very suburban. thats what i was looking for.. a suburban, deserty feel near the mountains. but transportation is very important.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:37 PM

46 posts, read 109,997 times
is it a feasible way to get around vegas on mass transit? Only if you have all day to wait on a bus. Is it easy NO. If you are going to get a car anyway just do it. If you are going to live in the suburbs then mass transit will be a nightmare.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM

932 posts, read 2,352,163 times
One of the best lines I've heard since I moved to Las Vegas was that CAT doesn't really stand for Citizens Area Transit; it stands for Call A Taxi.

Actually, if your financial situation enables you to rent a car for a week, that probably would be preferable to relying on the bus system. You'll save a lot of time, and since time is money, this would be a good investment.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
If you are from NYC, and are used to mass transit there...you will be sorely disappointed.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 PM

long waits for a bus is nothing new. ive lived outside of here before.
but i understand, renting a car wouldnt be the worst idea.

ive been researching. and found a nice looking complex called Villaggio Di Murano in the 89147 zip code. its right of w. tropicana and has a bus stop nearby. im sure pictures dont tell the whole story so ill visit when i get to vegas. but does anyone know anything about the place / area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas