Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM

49 posts, read 179,381 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to go to this event for the past 5 years. I'm a new resident to Las Vegas and was shocked to find out the event is NOT open to the public. You have to be in the electronics industry as an employee or an owner to attend. That really hurt my feelings LOL!

Can anybody provide any info on how I can attend this event. I'm willing to pay but don't really have much to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.Lobo View Post
I've been wanting to go to this event for the past 5 years. I'm a new resident to Las Vegas and was shocked to find out the event is NOT open to the public. You have to be in the electronics industry as an employee or an owner to attend. That really hurt my feelings LOL!

Can anybody provide any info on how I can attend this event. I'm willing to pay but don't really have much to offer.
It has never been open to the public. However, I don't know if they still do this, but there used to be a way to buy the products they demonstrate after conventions like this one. Sometimes it's just not worth it to pack everything up and ship it back to the factory.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
It costs $200 to register on-site. You need to provide evidence that you are in the industry to register - either a business card or pay stub. The former does not seem too difficult to forge.

"The International CES is not open to the general public and all attendees must be in the consumer electronics industry to be eligible to attend the show. Due to the investment made by our exhibitors, International CES Show Management wants to ensure that its attendees are members of the trade. All attendees must provide two forms of ID: one photo ID and the other proving their affiliation with the consumer electronics industry (pay stub, business card, etc.) Attendees will not be admitted into the 2010 International CES without these two forms of ID."

Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It has never been open to the public. However, I don't know if they still do this, but there used to be a way to buy the products they demonstrate after conventions like this one. Sometimes it's just not worth it to pack everything up and ship it back to the factory.
Many of the products demonstrated aren't even released or in production yet, so they definitely won't be selling any of those units to the public right after the show.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Many of the products demonstrated aren't even released or in production yet, so they definitely won't be selling any of those units to the public right after the show.
Not true at all. I have gotten my hands on both Plasma's and DVD players before the product release at CES. Also the local resorts group convention staff will receive these type of items as gifts from a vendor at CES. Also some vendors will sell items to the Convention groups staff at a very large discount.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I would love to go too. I am seriously jealous of anyone with passes.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Sorry, but that ain't so. If you've never seen the elaborate displays in a big convention, they don't just show up with a prototype...they have crates and crates of product that they display in "booths" the size of medium sized houses. Check out all those 18 wheelers that practically run over you as you drive by the convention center. They are loaded with stuff. They used to sell direct to individuals if you knew how to go about it. Then at one time an enterprising local business was buying everything up for resale. That may still be the case.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
The only other way to get in is if you work as a security guard, and manage to get a post there.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM

49 posts, read 179,381 times
I found some on craigslist for $50!

Hmmm...

Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Does anyone else find it strange that, in this country, three people could recently crash the same White House event easier than someone could get into the CES?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: