Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,122 times

Advertisements

Someone brought up in another thread about watching who is elected. I'm pretty sure they were talking on the national level, but I thought to get this discussion started now because, as some of you may know, elections for many offices is coming up in Clark County this next year as well as on the national level.

Some of you may want to add your 2 cents to who you would or wouldn't like to support for office. So, go to this link http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/dep...ffices2010.pdf and take a look at the list. Give the name of the office and if you will or will not be supporting that candidate. Insights as to why are optional, but maybe helpful for others.

I realize we all don't have an interest in EVERY office, but some may have more insight as to why particular candidates should or should not be elected.

Just off the top of my head...

I will not support:
District Attorney, David Roger
District Court Judge, Family Division, Dept C, Steve Jones
Justice of the Peace Dept 9, Joe Bonaventure

I currently WILL support:
Secretary of State, Ross Miller
Clark County School District F, Carolyn Edwards
Clark County Sheriff, Doug Gillespie

Ambivalent on:
Justice of the Peace, LV Township, Dept 5, Nancy Oesterle

Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I know these are actually the politicians who will have the biggest affect on my life but I'm ashamed to say I don't know anything about any of them.

My Bad! I wish I knew more.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I know these are actually the politicians who will have the biggest affect on my life but I'm ashamed to say I don't know anything about any of them.

My Bad! I wish I knew more.
You are not alone it seems. Here is a section in the RJ that focuses on local election races and candidates. http://www.lvrj.com/hottopics/politi...ions_main.html I think now is a good time for people who do vote to start the education process.

Which btw, I found something today that one of our other members mentioned; about not needing to be a lawyer to be a judge. Unbelievably, I found that in cities with populations less than 100K in Nevada, you can be on the ballot for Justice of the Peace.

I'm considering moving to Boulder and running for JP in 2012. That should be fun! I can just imagine being called "Judge Sierra Madre"

Old 12-04-2009, 11:12 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
You are not alone it seems. Here is a section in the RJ that focuses on local election races and candidates. Elections - ReviewJournal.com I think now is a good time for people who do vote to start the education process.

Which btw, I found something today that one of our other members mentioned; about not needing to be a lawyer to be a judge. Unbelievably, I found that in cities with populations less than 100K in Nevada, you can be on the ballot for Justice of the Peace.

I'm considering moving to Boulder and running for JP in 2012. That should be fun! I can just imagine being called "Judge Sierra Madre"
I know two people in Indiana who are judges and neither of them are lawyers. One was elected and the other appointed.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
There is no statutory requirement that you need to be an attorney to be a justice on the US Supreme Court. However, it helps.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:36 PM

16 posts, read 51,095 times
Default Voting Choices

I am voting all new people. Vegas needs to clean out the old and corrupt politicians, start over. I will not vote for Oscar Goodman to be governor; will not vote for his wife to be mayor; will not vote for Harry Reid; or any recumbent judge. The sheriff is a disappointment and needs to be replaced since his cops don't even know how to drive and they seem to be shooting everyone they pull over for traffic violations. Out of control!! Get a new boss in there to maintain that staff! LOL!

Old 12-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm0405 View Post
I am voting all new people. Vegas needs to clean out the old and corrupt politicians, start over. I will not vote for Oscar Goodman to be governor; will not vote for his wife to be mayor; will not vote for Harry Reid; or any recumbent judge. The sheriff is a disappointment and needs to be replaced since his cops don't even know how to drive and they seem to be shooting everyone they pull over for traffic violations. Out of control!! Get a new boss in there to maintain that staff! LOL!
LOL... sad, but true. CHANGE is good. Sometimes. Corrupt lawyer-judges harm the system. New lawyer-judges have to learn the system. Once the new lawyer-judges learn the system, some how they become more corruptable. It is a vicious cycle and VERY hard to monitor.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 PM

16 posts, read 51,095 times
I agree that breaking in the new bites...let them learn corruption on their own - LOL...but these thieves currently in office irk me. You let my son rape an under 18-year-old or you let my son kill somebody in a DUI, he's fixin' to fry in the judicial system. Judges children are on probation. Disgusting. You let a standard man beat the snot out of his wife and/or get accused of molesting a girl under 18, he's going to fry in the judicial system!! These 2 separate judges guilty of the aforementioned - can only recall Abbatangelo as guilty of beating his wife - the judge that molests children is in the family court....OVERHAUL REQUIRED....Get them out!! Neither of these last 2 judges were asked to step down, no penalties given. Makes me sick!

Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm0405 View Post
I agree that breaking in the new bites...let them learn corruption on their own - LOL...but these thieves currently in office irk me. You let my son rape an under 18-year-old or you let my son kill somebody in a DUI, he's fixin' to fry in the judicial system. Judges children are on probation. Disgusting. You let a standard man beat the snot out of his wife and/or get accused of molesting a girl under 18, he's going to fry in the judicial system!! These 2 separate judges guilty of the aforementioned - can only recall Abbatangelo as guilty of beating his wife - the judge that molests children is in the family court....OVERHAUL REQUIRED....Get them out!! Neither of these last 2 judges were asked to step down, no penalties given. Makes me sick!
I didn't think Moss was in the family court (kid is on probation). I can't remember the other guys name, de...something... accused of molesting his step-daughter, he's gone. Someone I don't understand is still there is Jones. He needs to be gone too. Miley, who used to be in family court and is now in district court taking Halverson's office, has her own martial issues now too. Need to find out where their divorce/prosecution of her lawyer husband ended up. Potter needs to get gone too. He doesn't know how to judge anyone's character. Sullivan seems to be level headed, but he sent a child home with his abusive father and the father killed the child. So, not really reliant about his decision making or perhaps it was lack of evidence.

If you really want to know who is good and who is not for family court, call Safe Nest and talk to one (some) of the counselors down there that help abuse victims get protective orders. Some of these lawyer-judges really need to 1) learn the law and 2) take some psychology courses.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:47 PM

57 posts, read 134,790 times
Ugh is this why those annoying giant billboards are appearing again all over every spare piece of dirt by the sides of every surface street around the valley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas