Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 12,994 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to get an answer when I call, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks SOoo much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 AM

53 posts, read 243,697 times
Are the unemployment numbers even working at this point? I tried both northern and southern NV numbers, nothing. Not even ring tones. Am I the only person that has come across this problem? Any help would be most appreciated.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:58 AM

515 posts, read 1,180,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betru2u View Post
I can't seem to get an answer when I call, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks SOoo much
Generally you must be actively searching for a job in order to collect unemployment - that's the way it is in most, if not all, states. They probably differ on exactly how you prove that you've been searching. But if you actually do get hired you will certainly have a problem juggling school and work.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betru2u View Post
Basically the answer is, only if you continue to look for full time employment and keep records of your job search. And you have to show that school hours will not interfere with your getting or taking a job offer. You would actually have to be willing to quit school if it interfered with taking a job.

When you file your weekly claim you are asked if you attended school that week. Naturally, being honest, you would answer "yes". But a yes answer will stop your claim. So, I don't know how they are doing it with telephone and internet claim filing, but they used to have you fill out some forms (there are always forms), and request it to be considered approved training. Then you would have to get a form signed each week that you were actually in classes. You then had to "lie" on the weekly claim form and say "no" to the school question...but it was an approved lie. Now I imagine there is a better way to show approved training on the computer. But you will have to start by getting it approved.

I know telephone claims are frustrating, but you can get through to a live claims examiner, so keep trying. If you get the run around from anyone, ask to speak to a supervisor.

My wife thinks I should start a blog on unemployment. If I did that I'd have to go to some of my connections at the UI office and bug them constantly for info since procedures change constantly. I'm not sure I'm ready to go to all that trouble, especially when people don't want to hear when they aren't eligible, and they take it out on you when you don't tell them what they want to hear. Do you guys think it's something that is needed?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 AM

139 posts, read 458,500 times
You want to go on a four year vacation and have everyone else working so they can support your lazy ass? Have you no self respect?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM

255 posts, read 361,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM95 View Post
You want to go on a four year vacation and have everyone else working so they can support your lazy ass? Have you no self respect?
It's been a number of years since I’ve been in college, but I can assure you that it was no vacation. I’ve known people who have attended college full time and also held down a full time job. My nephew completed law school in three years while working full time.

To brand someone as a “lazy ass” just because he or she wants to go to college while collecting unemployment is a bit unfair in my opinion. The OP never said that they were going to quit looking for employment while attending college.

I’m very fortunate to have a job and I don’t consider it a burden for me to work and have my tax money used to help support someone else as they struggle through these hard times trying to get an education so that they can play a productive part in our society. I’d rather see my tax money used for that then for some senseless war!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:39 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'm not sure I'm ready to go to all that trouble, especially when people don't want to hear when they aren't eligible, and they take it out on you when you don't tell them what they want to hear.
Set up your blog so that all comments have to be approved before they are posted. Ask your wife to do the job of approving comments so you won't ever have to see any personal attacks, that should keep the stress down.

Quote:
Do you guys think it's something that is needed?
Don't expect to make any money, most bloggers never do. Do it for your own entertainment only.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM95 View Post
You really think a person can collect unemployment for four years straight?

Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
Set up your blog so that all comments have to be approved before they are posted. Ask your wife to do the job of approving comments so you won't ever have to see any personal attacks, that should keep the stress down.

Don't expect to make any money, most bloggers never do. Do it for your own entertainment only.
Thanks. I'll give it some more thought. I think she wants me to do something productive for a change. My excuses for loafing all day are running out.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
It's been a number of years since I’ve been in college, but I can assure you that it was no vacation. I’ve known people who have attended college full time and also held down a full time job. My nephew completed law school in three years while working full time.

To brand someone as a “lazy ass” just because he or she wants to go to college while collecting unemployment is a bit unfair in my opinion. The OP never said that they were going to quit looking for employment while attending college.

I’m very fortunate to have a job and I don’t consider it a burden for me to work and have my tax money used to help support someone else as they struggle through these hard times trying to get an education so that they can play a productive part in our society. I’d rather see my tax money used for that then for some senseless war!
I agree with you. However I must point out a couple of things to y'all. First of all, unemployment is for a maximum of 26 weeks if one has earned enough to get the max. Secondly, you and I pay absolutely nothing toward unemployment insurance. It is paid 100% by the employers in all but one or two states back east.

Also it is never enough to live on. It is only a stipend to help you in your work search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas