Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

LOANS...people take out federal loans for college...and you slowly pay them back over the course of your lifetime. My Dad is nearly 70 years old, and i think he JUST finished paying off his old college loans. It takes a lifetime.

I think in MODERN America...most people are of the 'gimme gimme'....free money, dont want to work, dont want to pay back the money, etc. As much as I dont like Tea Party people and I have a strong distrust of Republicans....I can see where they make a lot of sense. Just way too many people want to get something for nothing...and think its normal.

On the other hand...college tuition is obscene with how expensive it has become. Then again, so has everything. I've been thinking more and more about what a scam the entire college education thing is...particularly in relation to how many people attain worthless majors...and have no goal/plan when they go through college with what they want to do later either.

Nontheless, SCHOOL LOANS is what 99% of the population does...except for the SHOULD BE few who get free education for being part of minority groups, super intelligent, superstar high school athletes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My wife was pretty upset that she was getting $185 per week from Missouri and her subordinates back east were getting $500.

OTOH, despite being laid off twice over the years, she has NOT collected a penny as in both cases, she was able to land a job in 10 days through her personal networking.

BTW, is it still true in some states that a retired military retiree can not collect unemployment in many states?
States, especially in the south, where the pay scale is low, also have low UI benefits. It's based on your earnings. I'm not so sure anyone is paying $500 a week though. Maybe. I haven't been in the loop on that in a while.

To retire from a job, even the military, is considered the same as quiting. And, after all, you are getting the retirement, so you can't have both. But you could go to work in civilian jobs after getting out of the service, and work long enough to collect UI on the civilian jobs.

You guys are really putting a strain on my brain with this stuff.

Keep in mind that unemployment INSURANCE is not much different from employer paid health INSURANCE. It's like a group policy for in case they have to cut your job, just like health ins. is in case you get sick, and what used to be called workers comp is in case you get hurt on the job.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
BTW, is it still true in some states that a retired military retiree can nopt collect unemployment in many states?
I would certainly hope so! And this shouldn't be limited to military retirees. Why should anyone with a retiree pension be eligible to receive unemployment? (Assuming we're talking about a full-career pension that at a minimum exceeds what the UI benefit would be.)

Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,852 times
My Husband just Retired last year from the Military had to get out because he reached the maximum time for his rank, has been looking for a Job in Nevada for almost ayear now with n luck... just signed up for unemployment and hope that he receives it in response to your remark.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r14ac89j View Post
My Husband just Retired last year from the Military had to get out because he reached the maximum time for his rank, has been looking for a Job in Nevada for almost ayear now with n luck... just signed up for unemployment and hope that he receives it in response to your remark.
If he is retired military who retired at the peak of his rank - I am going to guess you already have a decent pension and pretty much set for life because of his honorable career.

Plus this thread is tied in with education, I think there are many GI Bills where they get that paid for.

Good luck trying to get free unemployment money on top of that as well. Sheesh, something is wrong with America when I read that even retired military who retire at the top of their ranks are looking for that free extra money that they can extrapolate just because the option exists.

----

This stuff isn't free folks.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If he is retired military who retired at the peak of his rank - I am going to guess you already have a decent pension and pretty much set for life because of his honorable career.

Plus this thread is tied in with education, I think there are many GI Bills where they get that paid for.

Good luck trying to get free unemployment money on top of that as well. Sheesh, something is wrong with America when I read that even retired military who retire at the top of their ranks are looking for that free extra money that they can extrapolate just because the option exists.

----

This stuff isn't free folks.
I doubt it was a situation where he was at the top, but likely somewhere in the mid level ranks in a competitive billet. In some branches, if you don't make E-6 in so many years, they force you out. If that time comes before the 20 yr service mark, with rare exception, there isn't any retirement to speak of.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 PM

Don't get excited folks. When one retires one cannot then expect the same employer that he retired from to also pay unemployment. Even the military won't do that. To collect UI, he would have to have worked in other employment and had enough pay and time to qualify. It doesn't sound like it is the case here.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 16,314 times
OP, wonder if you still are looking for an answer? Anyway, You cannot collect unemployment benefits if you are attending school full time "DURING YOUR NORMAL WORKING HOURS" Typically, they will schedule a telephone interview and ask you questions about the schooling and what hours you will be attending. For example, if your normal occupation is "bartender or waiter" , then your normal working hours would be evenings and weekends. So if you had a school schedule of Mon-Thurs 9am-3pm, you would be approved. However, if your normal occupation is "bank teller" and you had the same daytime school schedule, you would be denied. The point is you have to be able to accept full time work during your normal working hours. And this is subjective.
Additionally, the question on the claim form regarding this only asks, "Have you STARTED SCHOOL....." So the first week, you would answer yes, your benefits will stop temporarily until they contact you and verify that you are available to accept work during your normal working hours. From then on, you would check, NO to that question on the claim form.
Also, if you lie and don't check yes on the claim form when you first start school, and they find out from your social security number that you were enrolled in school while receiving benefits, they will make you pay it all back plus interest.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy702 View Post
OP, wonder if you still are looking for an answer? Anyway, You cannot collect unemployment benefits if you are attending school full time "DURING YOUR NORMAL WORKING HOURS" Typically, they will schedule a telephone interview and ask you questions about the schooling and what hours you will be attending. For example, if your normal occupation is "bartender or waiter" , then your normal working hours would be evenings and weekends. So if you had a school schedule of Mon-Thurs 9am-3pm, you would be approved. However, if your normal occupation is "bank teller" and you had the same daytime school schedule, you would be denied. The point is you have to be able to accept full time work during your normal working hours. And this is subjective.
Additionally, the question on the claim form regarding this only asks, "Have you STARTED SCHOOL....." So the first week, you would answer yes, your benefits will stop temporarily until they contact you and verify that you are available to accept work during your normal working hours. From then on, you would check, NO to that question on the claim form.
Also, if you lie and don't check yes on the claim form when you first start school, and they find out from your social security number that you were enrolled in school while receiving benefits, they will make you pay it all back plus interest.

That is the only time it is OK to answer "NO" when the correct answer is "Yes". I know I always pointed that out to claimants because they would be nervous about lying on the weekly claim. But there is no other way to do it once ESD approves your school attendance. A yes automatically puts a stop on your claim, and they don't want to approve you week afetr week. Once is enough.

Good post. You sound like a Claims Examiner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas