Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:25 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,680 times

Advertisements

I'm picking up some of my European friends from Los Angeles Int'l Airport on the 30th at around 1pm and then we will be driving directly to LV from there.

I wish they could've arrived a few days earlier because I know that traffic will be horrendous, but just how bad do you think it will be for us? I've never tried driving to LV during New Years so around what time do you think we realistically would be arriving?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Disclaimer: I've never driven from LA to Las Vegas right before NYE, nor have I driven extensively in SoCal recently. This is just a SWAG based on where the dates fall.

I don't think it will be that bad. NYE is on a Thursday, so I would expect a lot of people from SoCal will either leave for LAS on Wednesday after work, or early on Thursday. Some people will try to get an earlier start on Weds but not a massive crowd. If you're on the road by 2PM on Wednesday I think you might be ok. Also, there are still $75 tickets on Southwest for LAX-LAS. Think about how much you like your friends. Remember, friends help you move, good friends help you move bodies.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
the only fly in the ointment is that MOST hotels do not accept arrivals on the 31th....opting instead for a 2 nite minimum stay ....this means that nearly all of the traffic will be arriving on the 30th sneaking out of work early to get an early start.... The up side is that occupancy is down this year so travel will be down.....

Old 11-30-2009, 04:52 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I'm picking up some of my European friends from Los Angeles Int'l Airport on the 30th at around 1pm and then we will be driving directly to LV from there.

I wish they could've arrived a few days earlier because I know that traffic will be horrendous, but just how bad do you think it will be for us? I've never tried driving to LV during New Years so around what time do you think we realistically would be arriving?

Thanks a lot!
A little bit heavier than normal maybe. It might take 4 - 4 1/2 hours to get here, depending on your driving speed and providing there are no accidents on I-15 along the way.

Just don't try and wait for the 31st to drive here from LA. You'll be sorry.

Remember the road closures on New Years Eve. Las Vegas Blvd is closed to vehicular traffic (pedestrians only) between Russell Road and Sahara Ave, usually starting at 5 PM.

Entrance/exit ramps off the I-15 for Sahara, Spring Mountain, Flamingo and Tropicana are closed as well on New Year's Eve.

Everything usually opens back up around 1:00-1:30 AM or so.

This is the usual method operandi on New Years Eve here in town, unless this year is different, but I doubt it.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:08 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
the only fly in the ointment is that MOST hotels do not accept arrivals on the 31th....opting instead for a 2 nite minimum stay ....this means that nearly all of the traffic will be arriving on the 30th sneaking out of work early to get an early start.... The up side is that occupancy is down this year so travel will be down.....
If the issue is the two-night stay and not Thursday arrivals, don't you think that with New Years Day on a Friday people will choose to stay Friday and Saturday night too, rather than just Wednesday and Thursday and then go home on Friday? There are five BCS games on Friday and five more on Saturday. People will want to stay in town for those. I'm looking at room rates on harrahs.com and for the most part, Saturday Jan 2nd is cheap, and Friday Jan 1st is less than Weds Dec 30th at three of the seven resorts, and more expensive at three others, with one the same price.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
my experiance is that they are coming on Thur.....we do offer the Fri Sat option but once we stress that we charge ALL and it is totally non-refundable they decide to go with thur fri....[they were planning to saty fri then depart on sat with an early check out ]

Old 12-01-2009, 08:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post

Thanks a lot!
Come in the 29th and leave the 2nd if you can.

There are lots of hotel give aways for rooms at the time you and your friends are coming, but it is both cold and extremly the pits with traffic.

Worst nightmare IMO.

As you drive back to LA, expect large delays because of accidents. Has happened the last two times I drove back to LA at that time.

Las Vegas is great, but the driving IMO will be hell on earth.

AVOID Las Vegas Blvd. the whole time and take one of the back roads above or below the strip to go back and forth unless you like to take two hours to go three blocks.

At a certain time hotels will close down and you might be restricted to the hotels you are staying at.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,190 times
How much is a flight from LA to Vegas? Jet Blue or Southwest??

Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,394 times
Isn't there a direct flight from Heathrow to LAS that started just recently? I thought that'd be the way to go between a lot of Europe and Vegas nowadays, and seeing as how I've got some developing plans to visit some of Western Europe next summer, I'm curious what sort of technicalities would make Europeans prefer to fly into LAX.

Of course, maybe they'd just rather contend with a couple layovers than have to cross most of a continent on the same plane that brings them across the pond. I wouldn't blame them if that's the case.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 PM

123 posts, read 271,450 times
Take the Bullet train......oh...forgot...it ain't built yet...sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas