Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 10,874 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am planning to drive from Las Vegas to Chicago in late December in order to relocate for work. I will have a dog with me, and am going to be driving a small front-wheel-drive vehicle.

Friends have told me to avoid the I-70 route through Denver, and so my route option now looks like staying on the I-40 and going through Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Amarillo, then heading north through Oklahoma, Missouri, and on into Illinois.

I'd prefer to drive only in daylight hours each day, and end up in relatively larger cities to find pet-friendly hotels along the way. Right now I am thinking to try

Las Vegas --> Albuquerque (Day 1)
Albuquerque --> Oklahoma City (Day 2)
Oklahoma City --> St Louis (Day 3)
St Louis --> Chicago (Day 4)

Is this reasonable during this time of year with a dog? The trip has to be completed in 3.5-4.5 days based on some time constraints related to arriving in Chicago.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,857 times
I'd be conservative and say bet with the 4.5 days at least - car problems. You're right to stay south this time of year. St. Louis to Chicago can be a frustrating drive but besides that it's pretty easy.

4-500 miles a day is quite a bit of driving even on flat straight routes

Old 12-02-2011, 02:58 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,538,775 times
3.5-4.5 days is about what it will take depending on how and how fast you drive. I think driving east in winter might be somewhat easier on the pooch than the summer time without air conditioning(which is what I did).

hopefully weather is not going to play a roll in your trip, but chances are it will definitely.

Many hotels allow pets, but they usually give you the pet rooms... which can be pretty bad. I just stopped telling them about my dog and snuck them into the room(stopping at or requesting only single story motels).

Dramamine works really well for the animal while you are driving, just give them a half dose.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM

399 posts, read 694,279 times
I agree about avoiding I-70. You need to keep an eye out on the weather the entire trip. Plan on stopping early if you run in to heavy winter weather. I was stranded in a snow storm on I-80 in Iowa overnight with a dead battery so no heat! We were trying to push it to get to a funeral. It's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck...you will love Chicago - it's one of the great cities in the world.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb80 View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to drive from Las Vegas to Chicago in late December in order to relocate for work.
Just curious, will you be waving goodbye in the rearview mirror with one finger?

Good luck on your trip and new job.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:33 PM

136 posts, read 276,936 times
That sounds good. We're driving home to Minneapolis area for Christmas and going the same general route this time of year. We usually make the trip in three days, stopping in Albuquerque and Wichita. Safe travels.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
Weather in several places along I-40 can be just as bad as on I-70, although not as steep and winding. Around Williams & Flagstaff, AZ, all across new Mexico, especially around Gallup, Grants, and Albuquerque, then the Texas panhandle can be really bad almost anytime of year. Just give yourself plenty of time in December no matter which way you go. Don't know if this is true, but I'd suspect Colorado is better prepared for snow removal. When I lived there, Albuquerque didn't have enough trucks in town, and I don't think the state did either. A couple of years ago many people were stuck and spent the night in their cars. Some were lucky enough to be taken in by local residents in the Tejeras Canyon east of Albuq. I've never driven I-40 in winter without hitting a blizzard and/or black ice somewhere along the route.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:15 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
I personally have driven both and prefer I-70 altho it is trickier.....winter storms cycle avout every 3 days....wait til one passes then jump in the car the next day and GOOOO....by the time the next one hits you;ll be out of the bad places....

LV to denver is easy IF you leave early in the morning....and thats the only bad spots...

OHHH Almost forgot....do NOT oet the dog drive....no matter how bad he wants to

Last edited by dynimagelv; 12-02-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb80 View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to drive from Las Vegas to Chicago in late December in order to relocate for work. I will have a dog with me, and am going to be driving a small front-wheel-drive vehicle.
Come on, don't be so critical, even ugly people have feelings.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,538,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I personally have driven both and prefer I-70 altho it is trickier.....winter storms cycle avout every 3 days....wait til one passes then jump in the car the next day and GOOOO....by the time the next one hits you;ll be out of the bad places....

LV to denver is easy IF you leave early in the morning....and thats the only bad spots...

OHHH Almost forgot....do NOT oet the dog drive....no matter how bad he wants to

preference has little to do with it, this poster is looking for reassurance and support. i40, is the best bet. how is your car OP... all checked up and ready to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas