Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:36 PM

654 posts, read 1,326,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
My black Friday shopping will be done online. It just isn't worth all the grief.

One of the local television stations showed people already camping out in tents in front of a local Best Buy on Tuesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
Did all my Black Friday deals online, most on Thanksgiving day, a few this AM. Got lots of $5 Blu-Rays, $119 iPod Nano 8 GB 5th Generation, and a $39.99 Playskool Kota and Pals Monty T-Rex. Much happier shopping in comfort of own home not paying tax or shipping!
This.

It could be a combination of the economy, retailers being conservative & inventory levels being low (related to the above), but the deals just aren't there this year. Last year was disappointing, this year was worse.

Retailers, however, are still trying to capitalize on the perception that there are deals galore. Best Buy, to name one, had exactly ONE item I would've wanted & it wasn't in their flyer - an HP laptop for just under $200 that was a late addition. Only a fraction of their sale items are priced 10+% less than you could find with a little planning on any other day. This isn't just Best Buy - most every retailer's doing the same, trying to feed the perception that great deals are out there, when by & large they aren't. Yes, there are some deals, but they're few & far between.

The best deal I got today? Sleep. After thinking about getting up at 4 AM & fighting crowds, I got some much needed rest, went into Kohl's at 12:30 & bought the one doorbuster my girlfriend wanted - a 5 qt slow cooker for $10 after rebate - surprisingly it was still there & the line was still close to an hour wait!

Otherwise, my shopping's mostly being done online with better deals to be had & often free shipping. Plus, it makes it easier to buy for family out of town, have it shipped direct. Amazon & Newegg (electronics) are two of the vendors offering some of the better deals. The best purchase so far (for me) has been an LG 22" 1080p LCD computer monitor for under $90 from Newegg, free shipping & no tax. I'll go to Fry's Electronics tomorrow, as last year they were one of the few to have good deals. Starting last year Fry's decided to focus more heavily on Saturday to get more customers to themselves - savvy, if you ask me.

Here's hoping others are having some success finding what they want ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 07:22 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,307,999 times
I went to the Office Max off of Russel and Eastern for a 26 inch 1080p Samsung LCD television they had advertised for $299. I got there right at 6 am when they opened. Within 10 minutes, they only had one left!!! Luckily, I got one.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:20 AM

92 posts, read 185,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I went to the Office Max off of Russel and Eastern for a 26 inch 1080p Samsung LCD television they had advertised for $299. I got there right at 6 am when they opened. Within 10 minutes, they only had one left!!! Luckily, I got one.
Shoot, I got in line at Office Depot on Marks in Henderson at 5 a.m.--they opened at 6 a.m.--I thought an hour early would be OK and I purposely chose avoided the WalMart, Best Buy, etc. ads. Still too late for the $299 laptop.....They started passing tickets for their advertised items out at 5:30, and they didn't get far down the line before the laptops were gone. First time I've tried to get one of the black friday deals in a long time, but....failure.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:30 PM

549 posts, read 1,383,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post

Otherwise, my shopping's mostly being done online with better deals to be had & often free shipping. Plus, it makes it easier to buy for family out of town, have it shipped direct. Amazon & Newegg (electronics) are two of the vendors offering some of the better deals....
This! I don't have any relatives here in Vegas (just me and the kids), so shopping for them is easier online with delivery. For several years I have sent things that they could actually consume like Omaha Steaks or baskets from thefruitcompany.com or ediblearrangements.com. They like getting something they can use or eat and not just something that I bought for them because I thought they'd like it. Heck, everyone likes food!

I did order from Newegg a webcam for my mom and sister one year. It wasn't until the next year when I talked them through how to plug in the usb port and activate messenger to see us real time on Christmas day. And, Amazon is FANTASTIC! I'm thinking Amazon gift cards this year and they can do the shopping! In a way, I'm like my grandmother. She rarely gave gifts, just money so you could get what you wanted. Also, helps to hold the budget together.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:33 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,307,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMI View Post
Shoot, I got in line at Office Depot on Marks in Henderson at 5 a.m.--they opened at 6 a.m.--I thought an hour early would be OK and I purposely chose avoided the WalMart, Best Buy, etc. ads. Still too late for the $299 laptop.....They started passing tickets for their advertised items out at 5:30, and they didn't get far down the line before the laptops were gone. First time I've tried to get one of the black friday deals in a long time, but....failure.
Sorry to hear that. You would not have had any better luck at the one I was at either, the laptops were gone as soon I got there. The television was not as hot as an item, so I managed to get one. I arrived maybe 2 minutes after the store opened.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,437,526 times
I am waiting for cyber Monday. I did buy some things today online at Sephora for friends because they were priced well, I got a free tote bag, double points on my credit card, and my friends will love the gifts. (Free shipping too.)

Old 11-30-2009, 12:02 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,559,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMI View Post
Just unlucky...again...I guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas