Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:16 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times

Advertisements

Yes...Trump is fired...up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM

16 posts, read 48,709 times
Olecapt, I'm wondering why you consider $300 psf to be too high for Trump. Is that because of number crunching the rental program or because you feel the market won't sustain that price?

By my calculations at the current rental rates and occupancy, a Trump studio shows about a 2.5% annual return at a purchase price of $160k. Not enough to cover a mortgage but about what banks pay on CDs.

I'm thinking that the room rates and occupancy will likely improve over the coming months and years and that sale prices will as well. Curious to hear the opinions of those on the ground there.

Regarding the $106k sale that was a short sale from BofA made by investor with a $300 million dollar portfolio of BofA properties. Not something the average person is going to negotiate with BofA. But my initial thought was that other banks might look to that sale to gauge other sales. Doesn't seem to be the case though. Seems that sale prices for studios (which net more than 1 bedrooms) are now $155k - $185k depending on floor and direction.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4warm View Post
Olecapt, I'm wondering why you consider $300 psf to be too high for Trump. Is that because of number crunching the rental program or because you feel the market won't sustain that price?
Actually what I said was I though $300 psf was too high for any of them. What I am saying is that the same money in small homes or condos will likely yield as much as 8 or 10%. Go after the less desirable neighborhoods and you can probably get it to 12%. I would think these places would end up at $150 or so per SF if it was just economics working. Watch the condohotels in LLV as an example.

I am of course aware that I don't get a vote. So I expect that those who buy such a place want it for other than straight investment purposes. So if they want to hold it at 0% return that is their choice.

Quote:
By my calculations at the current rental rates and occupancy, a Trump studio shows about a 2.5% annual return at a purchase price of $160k. Not enough to cover a mortgage but about what banks pay on CDs.
The rub is you need a really good crystal ball to make that projection. I think they make 0% or more...but never a lot. We need time and experience to know what that number is.

I am also suspicious as to whether any of the managing companies will allow any sort of reasonable return. Maybe they will let the owners get the appreciation...but maybe not. Maybe they will increase costs as fast as appreciation happens.

Quote:
I'm thinking that the room rates and occupancy will likely improve over the coming months and years and that sale prices will as well. Curious to hear the opinions of those on the ground there.

Regarding the $106k sale that was a short sale from BofA made by investor with a $300 million dollar portfolio of BofA properties. Not something the average person is going to negotiate with BofA. But my initial thought was that other banks might look to that sale to gauge other sales. Doesn't seem to be the case though. Seems that sale prices for studios (which net more than 1 bedrooms) are now $155k - $185k depending on floor and direction.
Again you are dealing with some of the world's best extractors of dollars from the public. Will they allow any significant return to the owner? Stay tuned. But I would not in the least be surprised to see rate splits and other charges offseting any gain in revenue. May be you get the appreciation...I certainly hope so...But any actually revenue providing a return? I don't think so.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 27,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Here is the latest on what is going on with Trump Tower.Trump gets financing, analysts cheer loan April 2, 2010By Buck WargoWhile the recession continues in Southern Nevada and lenders are leery of loaning money for projects, news that Donald Trump has secured long-term financing for the Trump International has generated some optimism.
I can't get the link to function. Is there another source of this information or can someone fill me in??

Old 04-08-2010, 11:20 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,451,833 times
For some reason the URL tags aren't working.

http ://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/apr/02/trump-gets-financing-analysts-cheer-loan/

^Delete the space after http and cut & paste the above link into your browser.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 PM

16 posts, read 48,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

I am also suspicious as to whether any of the managing companies will allow any sort of reasonable return. Maybe they will let the owners get the appreciation...but maybe not. Maybe they will increase costs as fast as appreciation happens.

Again you are dealing with some of the world's best extractors of dollars from the public. Will they allow any significant return to the owner? Stay tuned. But I would not in the least be surprised to see rate splits and other charges offseting any gain in revenue. May be you get the appreciation...I certainly hope so...But any actually revenue providing a return? I don't think so.
That's a compelling point Olecapt. Reminds me of TimeShare operations. The profit is everywhere for the developer (maintenance fees, resort fees, management fees, etc.) and always at the expense of the TimeShare or now condotel owner. Who wants to bet that Trump will leave money for the owners, when all he has to do is raise their fees?

Gee, now I'm thinking of backing out of my deal. The problem with regular rental properties (single family homes or condos) is the management hassles. Trump and the other condotels are really hands off investments -- I guess the catch is the last word 'investments'. Maybe they're really just 'hands off expenses'. Hmmm. Something to sleep on.

Anyone with a crystal ball who can share where the market is headed on these units? My sense is that like Signature they have found their bottom, barring any major whammy in the overall market.

Last edited by looking4warm; 04-08-2010 at 09:41 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM

28 posts, read 59,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I am not sure that condohotels make a lot of sense for a unit used only by the owner. If you end up in the rental pool than you simply own a hotel room...the only thing you may get is a private owners closet...but otherwise is is equipped and maintained like all the others. And for that you pay a sizable HOA premium.

You might do better to wait for Veer. That will really place you in the middle of the strip and let you walk to wherever. I would think you will see Veer units under $500 psf in the not too distant future. High floors with good views will cost a lot more than that but lower floor units will be there.
I do not know why would anyone buy Veer since the units are ugly with cheap appliances, no windows or balcony. I rather buy at Panorama North Tower

Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panolover View Post
I do not know why would anyone buy Veer since the units are ugly with cheap appliances, no windows or balcony. I rather buy at Panorama North Tower
Sounds like Light Veer to me!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Sounds like Light Veer to me!
I prefer 2 X's myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas