Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascat348 View Post
For god sake dont move here.I have lived here 23 years and its the worst I have ever seen it.I plan on moving out in 2-6 months.
Well it is the worst than anyone has seen in more than 23 years. That is true of most of the US.

You moving to the Dakotas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela15517 View Post
we are a young couple with 3 small children. We live in iowa, it is far too cold here for us. We wanted to move to portland, but the job market scares the crap out of me. We have good job experience in a variety of fields, such as cooking, customer service, welding, painting and telemarketing. We are willing to take just about any kind of job we can get. I lived in vegas years ago, and loved it, but that was back in the early 90's, i am sure alot has changed since then. Any advice on jobs, good neighborhoods, people, kid-geared activities? Thanks in advance!
okay that is why i suggested portland b/c you stated in your op that you wanted to move there!!!

Hello!!!!

I wasn't about to read this entire thread when I can predict the content without reading it...one REAL ESTATE AGENT and his cronies trying to convince people to move to Vegas even when THEY KNOW it's pretty much completely undesirable ATM b/c the only big draw it had in the past was the economy...which now sucks MORE THAN PORTLAND.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bascat348 View Post
For god sake dont move here.I have lived here 23 years and its the worst I have ever seen it.I plan on moving out in 2-6 months.
I just moved here and it's the best I've seen in a few years. Great weather, friendly people, tons of opportunity. If our future is as good as our present circumstances, we will never leave. It's all a matter of perspective. If someone wants to move here, I say, try it. It just might be the perfect fit.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:51 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
okay that is why i suggested portland b/c you stated in your op that you wanted to move there!!!

Hello!!!!

I wasn't about to read this entire thread when I can predict the content without reading it...one REAL ESTATE AGENT and his cronies trying to convince people to move to Vegas even when THEY KNOW it's pretty much completely undesirable ATM b/c the only big draw it had in the past was the economy...which now sucks MORE THAN PORTLAND.
I suggested to stay put in this economy. Your suggesting moving to Portland, which she even states the economy is also dismal. I repeat: I wouldn't move anywhere right now unless you have a job lined up and have cash reserves. Vegas or anywhere else. I think that is good unbiased advise

Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post

Hello!!!!

YOur words indicate you understand little...

What the "REAL ESTATE AGENT" said was...

Quote:
would think going to Phoenix at this point in time is rational. They difference of 5 points in unemployment is very big.

For the couple from Iowa I would go to the Dakotas until this thing runs its course. You can deal with there and make a reasonable living. Come to Vegas in 2011 or 2012.
You actually dumb enough to disagree with that?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
LOL, the only wimp here is you, especially since you b-itch and complain about everyday you live here. I had one bad day out of three years that I complained about, big difference.
Well, if I were as drunk as you I wouldn't complain either! LOL

Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM

30 posts, read 56,225 times
Wow, didnt think my post would create such hostility! LOL no, I have decided on somewhere else, the economy is ok, the jobs are decent, the pay is so-so, alot better than where I am at, and its warm! I do have cash saved up, thanks so much for the input!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Zod

32 posts, read 72,210 times
Default In Denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Where do you get you garbage Zod. Las Vegas children play outside year round.
Do you work for the Nevada chamber of commerce or are you just in denial? I've lived here over a decade so I know what I'm talking about. When your child burns her butt on a plastic slide that is about to melt, and your other child comes from school with heat exhaustion, and your neighbor's teenager dies on the football field from heat stroke, you start to doubt that kids can play here all year long.

FYI -- I got some of my statistics from the premier issue of Children's Health Magazine.

And just to balance my opinion, it is a gorgeous day here today.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
Do you work for the Nevada chamber of commerce or are you just in denial? I've lived here over a decade so I know what I'm talking about. When your child burns her butt on a plastic slide that is about to melt, and your other child comes from school with heat exhaustion, and your neighbor's teenager dies on the football field from heat stroke, you start to doubt that kids can play here all year long.

FYI -- I got some of my statistics from the premier issue of Children's Health Magazine.

I do not know what to say other than you have some weak children. I grew up in Phoenix, which, on average, is 5 to 10 degrees hotter than Vegas. I played outside year round. I walked to school and back everyday. I did a paper route when it was 118 degrees outside. I am still here. We had people who worked outside all summer, and they have done it for years. I have never had anyone I knew die of heatstroke. Now Vegas is noticeably cooler, less humid with a lower heat index. So yes, Olecapt is right, your posts are full of nonsense.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post

Sorry kids get burned on slides in upstate NY and they die practicing football everywhere I have ever lived. When I grew up we played basketball regularly in 95/90 conditions and would get hit with heat exhaustion virtually daily. And we knew how to treat it.

If you wish to keep your kid in the shade when it is over 105 that would be sensible. But kids can perfectly well play outside in the shade when when it is over 100 and don't mind at all. And if you keep them wet they can deal with anything LV has got.

I would also point out it does not get to the 90s until after 10AM so the kids still have 4 hours in the morning. And I assure you they use it as the three across the alley from us do every morning all summer long. Three kids, two dogs and it can't be missed that they are outside...every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas