Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 20,903 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have been spending WEEKS trying to gather information on Las Vegas and i am even more confused on what is the right way to go about our move or if it it is even the right choice at all.
First off, i am a young (22) stay at home mom of two very young kids. my mother and father inlaw just bought a house in the mountain edge area, and my husband and i both agreed that moving to las vegas so the kids could be closer to there grandparents would be good for everyone. that way they get priceless time spent with there grandparents and my husband and i can benifit from having a baby sitter and a chance at having some time to ourselves. my concerns are that we are going over not knowing a thing on what areas are good to live in, what areas to watch out for, the traffic, cost of living (electric, water, ect.). my husband has his digree for diesel mechanics, but i have been unemployed for 3 years now doing the mommie thing, i am very afraid i will have a hard time finding a decent job. i understand i do not have a lot to offer, but i am a VERY hard worker and i can do just about anything you ask of me while underpressure, i grew up on a farm so i am not afraid of getting dirty and working with my hands, prefer it actually. lol. and if it involves workig with animals i am ALL for it, we also have a pitbull who we WILL not get rid of, she comes with the family no matter what. she is one of a kind though, changed a LOT of peoples minds about the breed, and we are currently in the process of therapy dog training.
also any recommendations on a good daycare/childcare facilitie?? and if anyone knows about the cost of childcare? what is the minimum wage in las vegas?
but all in all, i realy would appreciate ALL advice on what areas to really stay away from. how the traffic is, and if anyone knows of a company that helps with finding hard to place rentals? (finding a house that will be ok with us having a pitbull). we CAN and will provide our own renters insurance for her if we need to as well as give out a referance on her, we have it right now under state farm and are wanting to keep it that way since we know they will work with us.
please any suggestions or advice?? and thank you to everyone for the help! it is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Most areas on the west side of town are good, along with the northwest and the southeast. Also Henderson is nice. Diesel mechanics are always in demand out here, and the average salary in that field is around $40,000 a year. Childcare can get expensive out here, and if you're making minimum wage I don't know that it would even be in your best interest to work. Of course you and your husband can do the seperate shift thing, my wife and I have done it for quite a long time. What did you do for a living before you became a SAHM?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 PM

246 posts, read 1,248,272 times
mommieof2,

As Daddys///M# said, child care is pretty expensive (we pay $205 a week for our 4 month old and $165 a week for our 5 year old during summer and track breaks...and that was the cheapest we could find although the day care great). It might be a better arrangement to do the shift thing or just stay home as you've been doing.

Mountain's Edge should have homes for rent, there are also decent apartments just across the way here in the South side also. My neighborhood has a few homes with For Rent signs and there are some condos and apartment communities nearby (we're about 5-10 min from Mountain's Edge).

As far as minimum wage goes, this is what's currently going on:

FOR EMPLOYEES TO WHOM QUALIFIYING HEALTH BENEFITS HAVE BEEN MADE AVAILABLE BY THE EMPLOYER:

NO LESS THAN $5.85 PER HOUR

FOR ALL OTHER EMPLOYEES:

NO LESS THAN $6.85 PER HOUR

The above is a minimum wage bulletin from the Labor Commissioner website.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me

Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 PM

thank you for the help in that area, i was a customer serivice reprisetiteve at a chevrolet dealership. i grew up working with horses and that is very much my specialtie, but there probably is not much demand for that up there. LOL. i can work with just about anything that has a engine as well (as we always needed to be sure we can fix what ever broke down weather it be farm truck or tractor to chainsaw and weedeater). the seperate shift thing may end up being our best bet, childcare (atleast over here) costs as much as a car payment or rent in its self and that we cant afford with all of our other expensis.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:32 PM

and thank you to vegas grl with your help. im not to sure if we are going ahead with the move up there anymore. i didnt realize that the min. wage there was so low! im not sure how to PM, im pretty new to this thing, but i just wanted to say thank you for your help. also if you dont mind me asking? what do you (on average) spend on electric, water, and other utilities?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 PM

45 posts, read 192,192 times
There are many jobs in Vegas that pay above minimum wage! There are dishwashers here making over 12.00 per hour! I would search out employment before you get discouraged Check out sites like: CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com ReviewJournal.com - Las Vegas News, Business, Entertainment Information (check the classifieds on the RJ!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 PM

113 posts, read 328,659 times
I agree with the above post, dishwashers really do make over 12. an hour.

I was fortunate when the kids were little to find affordable babysitters. My husband and I have done the different days off thing forever.

You could make a go of it. Las Vegas is one of the best places to work, and no degree is needed. I make more money than my sister w/masters degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas