Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:07 PM

18 posts, read 148,057 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Has anyone on this forum got their teaching credentials with the Clark County School District via the ARL process? If so, what was your experience with it?

I am considering doing this (I have a bachelor's in history and want to turn that into a job that is easily transferable to other areas should I choose to leave Las Vegas in the future) and will be attending an orientation for the program next week. Just looking to hear about experiences that others have had with this program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:40 PM

317 posts, read 1,091,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVegasGuy View Post
a job that is easily transferable to other areas should I choose to leave Las Vegas in the future
While you may be able to obtain a Nevada teaching license via an alternative route, it may be difficult to get a teaching license in another state unless they have a similar alternative route.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:58 PM

239 posts, read 642,769 times
You would be a fool to go to work for CCSD. Pay cuts are coming, make no mistake about it. They can't really tax people, who are out of work.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:09 PM

18 posts, read 148,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
You would be a fool to go to work for CCSD. Pay cuts are coming, make no mistake about it. They can't really tax people, who are out of work.
At no point in my original post did I ask for your opinion on the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the career path I choose to pursue. I simply asked if anyone who had done this in the past wanted to share their personal experiences. If that's not you, kindly stay out of it.

Enjoy the rest of your Friday.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Looks like you're getting lots of encouragement.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,265,212 times
Is there a particular program they are offering right now? They have done several in the past. What certification are you looking for?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 AM

307 posts, read 1,223,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
I am sorry but you're dead wrong. All the CCSD teachers got a new contract recently, they get pay raise. For example, before my partner gets a new contract for the 2009-2010, his salary was $54,000 a year. After he got my new contract, his salary went up to $66,000. He has M.A. plus 32 credits. Thanks to the sales tax that went up a few months ago.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 AM

307 posts, read 1,223,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVegasGuy View Post
Hello,

Has anyone on this forum got their teaching credentials with the Clark County School District via the ARL process? If so, what was your experience with it?

I am considering doing this (I have a bachelor's in history and want to turn that into a job that is easily transferable to other areas should I choose to leave Las Vegas in the future) and will be attending an orientation for the program next week. Just looking to hear about experiences that others have had with this program.
Contact Mora Snyder at 702-895-1536. She'll tell you about it

Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd hawaii View Post
i am sorry but you're dead wrong. All the ccsd teachers got a new contract recently, they get pay raise. For example, before my partner gets a new contract for the 2009-2010, his salary was $54,000 a year. After he got my new contract, his salary went up to $66,000. He has m.a. Plus 32 credits. Thanks to the sales tax that went up a few months ago.
lol.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 AM

691 posts, read 2,330,779 times
I think that it is a good deal. I taught school there for two years, and enjoyed it, and the benefits are great. Your happiness and success in teaching school for CCSD depends on the principal you get, so network with the people in your classes to find the best schools to work at.

Don't listen to the negative people, they would be negative no mtter what. The best thing when you are starting your program is to look at the National Board Certification website, and download your area, because you should gear all of your projects towards this, because you are doing the work anyway, so it is worth looking at how the work you are doing for certification will also apply to the National Board Certification, and if you do a masters program, do the same thing, so that the National Board Cert will be easy, because you already did most of the work. The state used to pay for the whole cert process, I don't know if they still do, but once you get that, you are gold, because it transfers automatically to all states if you want to move. Plus, you get a pay incentive.

CCSD benefits and pension rocks. The money is good, and it is a good job. I did Special Ed, and loved it. Also look at getting the TESOL cert, because that is worth doing. That way, you are not ever going to be cut, and you can pick where you want to work.

As I recall, Sierra Nevada has a good program, that is easy, and flexible. So does UNLV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas