Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:44 AM

66 posts, read 137,702 times

Advertisements

I came here over a year ago and posted my first impression of Vegas. Well I wanted to post my current impressions to see if much has changed. Some of it still applies so no need to reinvent the wheel right. I grew up in Houston, lived in Dallas and Austin. Spent time in Romania (Bucharest), Poland, Chicago and Denver. I am no stranger to densely populated cities like Bucharest but I'm not an expert so don't start asking for credentials. This is all my point of view.

Mostly I am writing this because the amount of negativity about Vegas has gone up. People complaining about Vegas and so on. People that don't even freaking live here!

1. People - When I first got here I found people to be aloof and wary. I don't think it is rudeness. I think Vegas has alot of people coming and going so maybe people just want to be cautious about spending time to build relationships that will fall apart. People here are friendly just cautious I think.

2. Traffic - Compared to Houston this is a joke. The traffic is not bad here and as I have said before I find it strange that when I pull up to a 4 way stop no one wants to go. It's not because they are all waving each other on. They are just sitting there so I guess that works in my favor.

3. Illegal Immigration - (Nothing changed) - A hot topic. Well I hate to disappoint but it is nowhere near the level of Texas. I mean at least here you still have people working in fast food that can speak English. Even high school kids. I was so giddy to hear an actual English speaking person. There were alot of people that La Migra could pick up at Cheyenne and Tenaya but that has gone way down since their aren't as many jobs. I grew up in Houston and lived in Dallas for 15 years so I know what it's really like. Yo quiero Taco Bell?

4. Sex - Sorry but I still don't see all these sex signs people are talking about UNLESS I am on the Strip. Who takes their kid to the strip all the time anyways? I will tell you a funny story. My friend at work took his kids downtown and they called those numbers on the trucks. You know the ads for girls to your door. Hahahahahah. Not funny to you? Too bad.

5. Gambling - Do I have to address this. Do you know how many people have told me that they have come here to play Poker professionally? It's everywhere. If you can't handle it then don't come here. Hey does anyone go to the 7-11 at Cheyenne and Fort Apache. There is a guy that works there that spends every minute at the slots when a customer is not at the counter. I was just curious. Just seems funny to see him literally running back and forth. I mentioned it to a cashier and she said he was getting money out of the machines. I Still can't figure out how to get money out of that video poker machine.

6. - Alcohol - 24/7 everyone knows that but someone said they have to bag it by law. It that true? I guess it doesn't matter if you have a problem with alcohol because you can find it almost anywhere on the planet. (I said almost).

7. Kids - Back then I had none now I do. Personally I don't trust any school system to teach my kid. According to some teachers group Harry Reid has done so much for this state but I am not hearing the same from that actual people. I see alot of kids on skateboards. They actually have a skate pool at the park. That's pretty cool. I don't skate but they got something to do. It's on Alexander. They have a skate park in North Las Vegas too. I work by it. Just some free tips for those with skating kiddos.

8. Weather - There is no need for a weatherman. How would you like to graduate college and the only job you could land is here? Man that has to be boring. At least they have alot of free time because all they have to type is "Hot" most of the year. If you have never lived in a hot climate you might be a little overwhelmed by the heat. I grew up in Houston and as kids we had NO central air/heat. We had open windows and box fans. So you take 100 degrees and and add 90% humidity and tell me which is worse. Vegas or Houston. You can sleep butt naked there and you will sweat like a pig. Do pigs sweat? Good question.

9. (Same impression) Nature - The mountains are nice. They are not like in Colorado with all the trees but you can go up to Mt. Charleston to cool off and the drive is nice and there are trees. I like the desert. It's a harsh environment I know but it's really interesting if you get off the highway and into some hills. I was at Lake Mead and the water was actually pretty clear. Is it always like that?

So overall the experience has not been bad. I admit I am homesick sometimes but that's to be expected when you move away from friends and family. I think the city has some interesting things to see and do. Just wait until the fall and the weather will actually be pretty nice. (Maybe the weatherman will have more work then.) The only thing that really gets on my nerves is people come here and think they can make it like back home. I see alot of Californians coming here because it is cheaper and then want all the social services they had back home. Doesn't make sense. You can't have what you had back home. You have to adapt. I'm not outside planting Pecan trees or building a Blue Bell ice cream plant.

And to the all the Grammar Nazis. No I didn't spellcheck. Take that you Grammar Facists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,305,952 times
That is a really good post. Thank you for not being "one of those other's" that is always trashing our fair city.
Those sex signs: I never see them either! lol I always wonder about the people that totally exaggerate and say they are everywhere. Everywhere on the strip, but not everywhere people live. unless they lived on the strip or by naked city.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,037,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
That is a really good post.
Sorry, I've got to disagree. To me, that was an angry post with a few backhanded compliments to Vegas.

Let's see, Vegas is better than Houston because there are fewer illegal aliens here. Um, okay.

Peope who live in Vegas are aloof and wary, but they aren't rude. That's a compliment?

The schools are crummy in Vegas, but that's okay because the OP doesn't trust any school system.

Vegas drivers don't know what to do at a four-way stop, but that works out for the OP because he can just go.

The OP, a transplant from Texas, takes a dig at transplants from California. But then again, that seems to be routine on this board.

So, what makes that a good post?

Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoDevil View Post
And to the all the Grammar Nazis. No I didn't spellcheck. Take that you Grammar Facists!
What the hell are you talking about?

I've been on this board for quite some time and I have never seen any derogatory comments pertaining to grammar or typos.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:11 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,671,749 times
Being a cab driver, my attention is too foucused on traffic to pay attention. I've been here for four years, and I've never found the people to be aloof. Maybe it's all in how your present yourself.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,139,904 times
I'm a 47 year resident of Las Vegas and SD about sums it up completely.....maybe MMOB should try living here...

Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,788,218 times
I thought it was a good post. A person's honest opinion.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
.....maybe MMOB should try living here...
Well, I wrote an offer on a house last week.

So I am trying.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:48 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,467,306 times
MadMan...maybe he wasn't talking about you. You take a post like that personnal?? WOW. Great post. Good to see an unbiased opinion and hit some main points that many people ask about.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:49 PM

12 posts, read 87,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Sorry, I've got to disagree. To me, that was an angry post with a few backhanded compliments to Vegas.

Let's see, Vegas is better than Houston because there are fewer illegal aliens here. Um, okay.

Peope who live in Vegas are aloof and wary, but they aren't rude. That's a compliment?

The schools are crummy in Vegas, but that's okay because the OP doesn't trust any school system.

Vegas drivers don't know what to do at a four-way stop, but that works out for the OP because he can just go.

The OP, a transplant from Texas, takes a dig at transplants from California. But then again, that seems to be routine on this board.

So, what makes that a good post?
Its YOUR post that comes off as negative. The OP was gving an honest opinion laced with humor and charm and you simply complain because it didn't put an amazing positive spin on Vegas. Was he not supposed to say that the heat is ungodly in the summertime(YES, IT IS, THERE IS NO DEBATE. Other places may be hotter, more humid, etc but that doesnt change the fact that it feels like hell in LV in the summertime)? Was he not supposed to say that the schools are crummy? Because they are. Was he supposed to say that the people are friendly, outgoing, and courteous in general? Because most are'nt(Again, no need for debate).

The original post is on-point and yours comes from a negative, keyboard warrior point-of-view. Calm down guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas