Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested consumer View Post
Thanks for the insight olecapt! Your home inspection advice in this thread is very informative. Regarding posting to this site, or anyone one like it, I must say I will likely be one that doesn't stick around to rack up credibility. I find more value in reading comments and suggestions when I look for a subject, than posting them. But of course I don't take the comments as factual until I check the content out personally. Your thoughtful comments are appreciated.

Go in peace and spread your wisdom. Just remember we develop trust over a series of interactions.

The crew here is actually pretty good. Not always right but it has a very high truth intended level.

But stop past periodically. After a while we may decide you are only suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 PM

968 posts, read 2,064,950 times
Is it typical to pay the home inspector through the closing escrow or otherwise? I've worked with two different firms, one getting paid through escrow, the other wants to get paid immediately.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Is it typical to pay the home inspector through the closing escrow or otherwise? I've worked with two different firms, one getting paid through escrow, the other wants to get paid immediately.
Most home inspectors get paid at the time service is rendered.

I don't really care for them getting paid out of escrow because it creates a need for the place to close. I don't like things that create a need in the Inspectors mind for the thing to close.

I am sure it can be worked that way...but I don't like it.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,649,833 times
I'm resurrecting this thread, and soliciting any update advice on finding a home inspector

Thanks

Jonathan

Old 12-05-2010, 12:01 PM

69 posts, read 237,704 times
We just bought our home in July
we used Bill Thomas at FYI inspections
he is independent agent.
I didn't want to use one recommended by our agent because I wanted an independent opinion.
He spent over 3 hours checking our house and went through everything he found good and bad.
I found him on this board too.
My RE agent was even impressed with his attention to detail.
his website is fyiinspections.org

Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 PM

687 posts, read 1,948,175 times
Criterium-McWilliam Engineers. All their inspectors are degreed engineers who have conducted thousands of inspections. Very thorough and available afterwards for as many questions as you may have. I've hired several home inspectors over the years and these guys are among the best. 702-294-3160.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:08 AM

367 posts, read 1,075,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgalt View Post
We just bought our home in July
we used Bill Thomas at FYI inspections
he is independent agent.
I didn't want to use one recommended by our agent because I wanted an independent opinion.
He spent over 3 hours checking our house and went through everything he found good and bad.
I found him on this board too.
My RE agent was even impressed with his attention to detail.
his website is fyiinspections.org
+1

Sounds exactly like the inspection of my home.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,900,085 times
I was very impressed with Spectrum Inspection Group . They are EXTREMELY PICKY.

I believe they have a sample home inspection report you can see.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,080,770 times
+1 - I was very happy with Criterium-McWilliam too and would definitely use them in the future. Having an actual engineer assess your new home is a big plus IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Criterium-McWilliam Engineers. All their inspectors are degreed engineers who have conducted thousands of inspections. Very thorough and available afterwards for as many questions as you may have. I've hired several home inspectors over the years and these guys are among the best. 702-294-3160.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:46 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,649,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I was very impressed with Spectrum Inspection Group . They are EXTREMELY PICKY.

I believe they have a sample home inspection report you can see.
It was pretty disappointing with the inspection they gave,
cost me $300 for what was a basic visual inspection.
The inspector plugged in a tester in a bunch of outlets, climbed on the roof
and noted broken tiles, opened up draws and looked in cabinets.
He really harped on minor things like globes missing from lights, or loose outlets and glossed over things like attic insulation and shape of the Slab, general condition of the house.

in there favor they where VERY punctual, and has the report online when they promised. But the report (all 37 pages of it) is about 15 pages of generic information, and lots of pictures showing very minor things.

For someone 3000 miles away, who would have liked more details on the house I am buying (BTW even though I requested it, the inspector never gave me a follow up phone call to go over details, another strike against them) I can not reccomend them in good conscience.

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas