Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 AM

52 posts, read 107,115 times

Advertisements

Hmm, Im more of a greasy-spoon enthusiast, To me, theres nothing better than eating something that tastes home-made. The places we like to frequent are:

M&M Soulfood- traditional southern fare like fried chicken, collard greens, red beans & rice, they even have chicken & waffles

Crown and Anchor- local british pub that serves consistent pub style food. One of the few places in Las Vegas that actually serves Blackthorne Dry Cider (which is my favorite!). The curry is great, so is the fish and chips, they have great sandwhiches, steak and stout pie, and sticky pudding!

Sai India Curry- cheap Indian buffet, always good. They also serve a la carte, various dosas (try the masala dosa), various dahls, samosas, pakoras, pani puri (which is SO good), palak paneer, biriyani, etc. etc. etc.

Le Pamplemousse- great French food. Its a bit pricey, but totally worth it. I suggest making reservations as it does get quite a bit of business. Its really close to the Strip (Las Vegas Boulevard and Sahara). My husband always gets the full rack of lamb in a pistachio crust, and I always get whatever is the special...and it is always great! I think it is one of the BEST places to eat in Las Vegas.

Hue Thai- the BEST Thai sandwhiches in the valley! Also great Pho...

Pho Kim Long- great Pho and awesome Vietnamese food

Thai Cuisine- this restaurant is kind of ugly, but the food is great! The owner is really nice, and the service is awesome! I always get the yellow curry...it is so awesomely good, I cant even describe it! You can also get Yellow Curry rice...and its GREAT...everything else I have had here is great as well. Dont come here in the summer, they dont ever use their air conditioner.

Paymons- has a good variety of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Indian dishes, along with a great tea list. This is my mom's favorite place to eat in Las Vegas.

Market Tea Room- has the best tea selection I have ever some across. My sisters swear by the scottish caramel toffee tea with cream. I always get the scones with real devonshire cream (my favorite is the jewel scone). You can call ahead and pre-order high tea, which is complete with two pots of tea, various cakes (carrot, chocolate, spice) and other sweets like bread pudding, scones, and savory sandwhiches. The sandwhiches here are awesome, try the chicken salad sandwhich, the veggie sandwhich, and the turkey sandwhich with cranberry mayo. The owner also has various soups that she features. My favorite was the artichoke and parmesan. The tea room is actually inside an antique mall, so there is a lot of stuff to look at as well. Everytime relatives come out to visit, we take them here. Its a lot of fun, great service, and great food.

The Huntridge Diner- typical diner fare, except this is one of the few old diners left in LV. Its inside the Huntridge pharmacy, only open on weekdays until 3pm. They have daily specials...my husband LOVES the philly cheese steak with grilled shrooms and onions.

Marrekkesh- traditional Moroccan food, usually presented in a 6 course meal. Great atmoshpere, and on some days they have belly dancers (my husband REALLY likes this ha ha ha) The food is great!

Frank & Fina's Cucina- awesome home-style mexican food. Some of the best enchiladas I have had in a long time!

Kathy's- my dad swears this is the only chicken fried steak he has ever enjoyed eating outside of the state of Texas.

Tea Planet- Korean and Taiwanese tea drinks (theres around a billion different drinks you can have) along with traditional tea-house fare such as noodles, dumplings, and asian snacks. We always get the strawberry snow ice with boba (or the mango snow ice...mmmm) and various snacks like squid and shrimp balls, tea-soaked dumplings, tofu and spring onions. Its a lot of fun =)

I could list a billion other places...but I wont! I already took up enough space...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM

278 posts, read 791,749 times
Quote:
Paymons- has a good variety of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Indian dishes, along with a great tea list. This is my mom's favorite place to eat in Las Vegas.
are both locations good? i've never been, but keep hearing good things.

Quote:
M&M Soulfood- traditional southern fare like fried chicken, collard greens, red beans & rice, they even have chicken & waffles
another one i haven't been to, but apparently need to check out.

Quote:
Crown and Anchor- local british pub that serves consistent pub style food. One of the few places in Las Vegas that actually serves Blackthorne Dry Cider (which is my favorite!). The curry is great, so is the fish and chips, they have great sandwhiches, steak and stout pie, and sticky pudding!
i was disappointed when i went - good drinks, but they ran out of chips for the fish and chips!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 PM

52 posts, read 107,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_el View Post
are both locations good? i've never been, but keep hearing good things.

another one i haven't been to, but apparently need to check out.

i was disappointed when i went - good drinks, but they ran out of chips for the fish and chips!
Regarding Paymons- I have only eaten at two of the three locations; the one on Maryland Parkway, and the one on West Sahara. There is a newer one in the arts district, but I have yet to try that one out. The one on Maryland used to suck; the service was bad, and the manager was a huge jerk. They changed management (which resulted in the market being closed), so now I actually like patronizing this place. Much better service, and sitting in the courtyard is actually quite relaxing. Both the Maryland and the Sahara locations have consistently good food. I like the fesenjan, pastitsio, kebbe, gyros (get them greek style instead of pocket style..my fave is the falafel), salmon tandoori, tabuli, dolmas, baba ganous, hummus, and bourranni.

M&M Soul Food is awesome. Its not fancy by any means, but I have eaten everything they offer, and give it my star of approval. Its one of the few places out of the South that has "southern" food (aside from Kathy's and Big Mama's Rib Shack).

Which location did you visit when you went to Crown and Anchor? We usually frequent the East Tropicana location, and we have had a few issues there. Just talk to Mike (the manager) and he will patch everything up. One night we had went here, after 20 minutes of sitting at our table and the waitress never even coming to take our drink order, we left. I decided to call Mike, and he comped our entire check the next time we visited....and it wasnt a small check.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 PM

278 posts, read 791,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabEyes View Post
Which location did you visit when you went to Crown and Anchor? We usually frequent the East Tropicana location, and we have had a few issues there. Just talk to Mike (the manager) and he will patch everything up. One night we had went here, after 20 minutes of sitting at our table and the waitress never even coming to take our drink order, we left. I decided to call Mike, and he comped our entire check the next time we visited....and it wasnt a small check.
it was the east trop location. other than no chips, the rest was fine.

thanks for the info on the other places as well. i'll have to check them out.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Smothered (in gravy) fried chicken at M&M Soul Food Cafe is one of those things you have to eat before you die. I was going to eat there tomorrow but I had some wings at Hooters earlier today and I have to wait for my bloodstream to become liquid again. It's got the consistency and fat content of shortening right now.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,640 times
Okay folks. I need a good deli recommendation. I mean a REAL good, authentic Italian deli which really takes pride in their food. An attached gourmet grocery section would be a bonus. If you've ever been to downtown Salt Lake City, I'm looking for something similar to Tony Ca****'s. It's cheap, delicious and totally authentic. A real family operation and the staff are very knowledgable/friendly.

Anything like that in Vegas?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
I heard of a new soul food restaurant on E. Craig. I think it's near Simmons. They said it was really good. What they actually said was my granddaughter, who hates everything, ate everything on her plate. And TC's Rib Crib is the best I've ever had in Las Vegas. Well, not true, but the best went out of business. TC's is at DI & Durango. I assume they are still in business.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Okay folks. I need a good deli recommendation. I mean a REAL good, authentic Italian deli which really takes pride in their food. An attached gourmet grocery section would be a bonus.
Best I know of is Rocco's Deli on Buffalo near Charleston.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Best I know of is Rocco's Deli on Buffalo near Charleston.
That's a good one. Good food to go too. And I've heard that Montesantos is still in business but I don't know where they moved to.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 AM

968 posts, read 2,063,245 times
Any recommendations and thoughts concerning City Center restaurants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas