Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 16,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL86 View Post
I'm moving to Las Vegas in August and I"m pregnant with my 3rd child. The previous two were high risk and c-sections. I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Richard Groom. Anyone know anything about him or have other suggestions? Also which hospitals are best? I'll be living in 89145. Thanks!

I Highly recommend that you see an OB-Gyn physician at a Major University teaching Hospital and make sure that he/she SPECIALIZES in High Risk pregnancies.
Also check to see that he/she is a Board Certified OB-Gyn physician. You may want to interview several Drs. before making you final decision. Many women are doing this. Good Luck, OB-Nurse Practitioner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 12:00 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,268,667 times
Dr. John Martin is a great ob/gyn. I tried to make an appointment with his partner and I had to wait four months. I didn't try to make an appointment with Dr. Martin because I am a friend of the family and I wasn't comfortable seeing him as a patient.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:19 PM

250 posts, read 1,113,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerlin View Post
My sister who is over 45 just had fraternal twins in June. Talk about high risk!!
Her doctor was Dr. Kelley and he has privileges at Mountain View Hospital.
Mountain View Hospital is nicer and more organized than Summerlin Hospital.
I know this because I've had over night surgeries at both of them.
IMO you can't compare regular hospital service to the maternity ward. Was your surgery pregnancy related? How recent was your experience? My wife delivered this past January and they were very organized at least on the Maternity level. I can't speak for the rest of the hospital. Also Summerlin has a level III NICU and specializes in high risk, where Mountain View is just a level II NICU. Not to mention it's going to be closer to where she lives.

Does Mountain Veiw keep the babies in the room right after delivery or do they take them to a nursery at all? The baby never leaves your side at Summerlin, they do all the tests and clean up while you're watching, which I feel is very important.

Las Vegas Maternity - Summerlin Hospital Medical Center

Old 07-25-2009, 01:32 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,961,872 times
What about the Centennial Hills Hospital? Anyone have any experience there, maybe? Isn't that close to her?

OP~don't worry about Jfk...he is the neighborhood jokester. He means no harm.

Good luck on your pregnancy!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,477,620 times
Centennial Hills is part of the Valley system I believe. Which I do not trust, had a daughter pass away at Valley, and my father-in-law after he was there. I would go with Sunrise Hospital. Not in the most desirable neighborhood, but it is a Children's Hospital. After my second daughter was born, we had explained what had happened with our first daughter, and they ran several extra tests for us. Which gave us a big peace of mind.

I went to Dr. Kelley with my first daughter, and he was great, but when she passed away after 12 days, I could not go back to him. It was no wrong doing on his part, just needed everything to be a differant background, from my doctor, hospital, even house.

About 2 months after my first daughter passed away, I really needed and wanted to get pregnant again. I had a referral for Dr. Glassman Herrero, Rebecca, Md - Glassman Kramer & Scarff in Las Vegas, NV - YellowBot, I believe he works out of a couple of offices. But he was great. When I first went into there, he sat with my husband and I for about half an hour, while we explained what had happened to us and that I really wanted to get pregnant right away. He was great, explained what I needed to do, since it was so soon after. Whenever I had a fear of something he took care of it and ran the proper tests. Made sure I had special ultra sounds so that we knew that our daughter was healthy. Which is what I really needed since I was so stressed because of what we had been through. There are some great doctors, just have to make sure that you have someone that will listen when you have questions or problems and not just try to get away with doing less as possible.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 PM

124 posts, read 476,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
IMO you can't compare regular hospital service to the maternity ward. Was your surgery pregnancy related? How recent was your experience? My wife delivered this past January and they were very organized at least on the Maternity level. I can't speak for the rest of the hospital. Also Summerlin has a level III NICU and specializes in high risk, where Mountain View is just a level II NICU. Not to mention it's going to be closer to where she lives.

Does Mountain Veiw keep the babies in the room right after delivery or do they take them to a nursery at all? The baby never leaves your side at Summerlin, they do all the tests and clean up while you're watching, which I feel is very important.

Las Vegas Maternity - Summerlin Hospital Medical Center
My sister had her twins in May of this year at Mountain View. The babies were cleaned up and swaddled right next to her after delivery. The anesthesiologist even offered to take pictures of my sister's husband holding the swaddled twins by my sister's side in the delivery room (he took some great ones).
The babies were taken to the nursery after that because they both weighed under 5 lbs. They were under 24 hour care by great preemie nurses. My sister got to see them and feed them while they were in the nursery for the next two weeks.

Edited to add.. She also saw a Reproductive Endocrinologist as well as Dr. Kelley, since she was considered very high risk.

Last edited by Summerlin; 07-25-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 07-25-2009, 09:56 PM

93 posts, read 290,766 times
Dr. Eric Grant. He has his own practice and one of the hospital he delivers at is Centennial Hills. DM me for his info. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:46 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Typical gen-Xer...first she gets pregnant, then she moves...and then finally looks for a Groom!
I apologize. I thought you might have already caught my weird sense of humor (especially when I put a after my post!)

The humor I was attempting was word play on the Doctor's last name...Groom.

Sorry for the bad feelings... I didn't mean anything personal.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:46 PM

367 posts, read 819,386 times
I'm due in September, planning on having the baby at Centennial Hills, and I go to this practice:

Women's Specialty Care - Women's Health Medical Center, OBGYN, Las Vegas NV, Summerlin

They have locations all over the Valley (I go to Centennial Hills and Summerlin, but I've also been to Spring Valley) and I see Dr. Tammy Kelly - she's awesome, I haven't had huge waits or issues with the practice at all. Summerlin's a busier practice than Centennial but I've had no issues with either.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,270,785 times
I have used a few due to insurances changes.

Dr.'s I like:

Dr. Sarah Newton

Meadows Women's Center- All three here are very good.

Dr. Spoon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas