Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 02:12 PM

94 posts, read 289,704 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old male and recent completed my academic coursework at Ohio University with a degree in Early Childhood Education. I have lived in the midwest my whole live and am tired of it. Vegas schools said that they would hire me. What are the schools out there like? What are some of the better ones out there? Would I be able to afford to live out there? Also, I would be moving by myself, so where are some good places to go to meet like-minded people? Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Las Vegas teacher salaries are low. Many use a room mate to keep the housing cost under control. Gets better after a couple of years. Not our finest moment.

Then again you do end up in Las Vegas...which is not a bad place to be young.

The schools go like most everywhere. Check the demographics for the zip code...and the free lunches on the school achievement report. High income and low free lunches will mostly lead to the better schools.

Unless you are into challenges...then you go the other way...

Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times
I agree with what olecapt said about checking the info on the schools. And you won't be able to afford a home on a teacher salary just starting out. But you can probably find a cheaper apartment to rent. You can also look into a roommate situation. You'll have fun being in Vegas at your age. You have nothing to lose and can always go back to your home state. Go for it! The city needs teachers badly.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
I think we are short something like 500 teachers right now. I don't know if they are doing this yet but they were talking about helping new teachers buy a home to get started. My daughter is a teacher in the Clark County School District and she makes pretty good money. It helped a lot when she got her masters, and she's been with the district for a long time. I really don't know all the particulars but she is very happy with her job. Of course it helps that she is at one of the top schools in the district. I don't know that you get to choose your school though. I think you go where they need you. I have a friend who was a librarian and she ended up at some really bad schools and hated it, but when she was at a good school she was happy. My daughter had to work at one of the Special Ed schools as her first assignment and it was terrible for her. We have other firiends who teach at different high schools and they are generally happy with their jobs. I think overall it is a good experience for most teachers here. As far as pay, my guess is it's better than a lot of places...like Athens, Ohio for instance. So if you get the right school you'll love it, and if not you'll hate it; but you won't be stuck at a bad school forever. The time off and the benefits really make teaching worth while. Oh yes, in the grades we do have several, but not all, year round schools. They don't get three months off in summer, they have track breaks which I believe come every six weeks, so it adds up to the same amount of free time. You asked if there are places to go? This is Vegas, man; there is everything to do. Plus Vegas is central to all the best stuff in the west with easy access. I know this isn't very specific, so if you are interested in hearing from a local teacher I might be able to arrange it if they are willing, but I would need your email address, or some way for them to reach you. BTW: Are you from Athens or just went to school there? You asked what the schools are like? To give you a little perspective, we probably build more new schools each year than there are all schools in Athens and Parkersburg combined.

Last edited by Buzz123; 04-19-2007 at 11:56 PM..

Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I plan on moving there as well in about 3 years. I'll be teaching in NYC starting next year, then heading over to Las Vegas.

Here's a good site to get information. You can ask people on this message board for advice. They're very nice and helpful. They've helped me a lot:

http://teachers.net/states/nv/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas