Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:08 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times

Advertisements

JET NOISE....The sound of Freedom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 11:47 PM

52 posts, read 228,221 times
Moved here from North Jersey 2 years ago and live in the NW....Nellis jets are loud (and impressive)......but the commercial jets? Haha...try living in Newark airports flight path.....this is sweet silience compared to that and the private jets landing and taking of from Teterboro.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:49 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Oh man. I stuck my foot in my mouth there. I just responded to it because it was near the top of the threads which usually means it is new. I never go to page 2 of anything on here. I did not realize the OP was not talking of McCarren because they just said "the airport" and that is the only one I know of. I am truly sorry for sticking my foot in mouth on that.

No you didn't stick your foot in your mouth the flight path was changed and does go over Summerlin. Even though this is a older article it address's the issue and how Summerlin residents tried to get the routes changed.
[SIZE=4]Appeals court upholds northern flight route from McCarran - Friday ...[/SIZE]
Jun 12, 2009 ... The suit maintained that the direct flights over the densely populated ... Have you recently been fired from cutting summerlin folks' grass? ... Also, if you watch the flight paths, you can see there is plenty of space ...
www.lasvegassun.com/.../appeals-court-upholds-northern-flight-route-mccarr

Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 AM

157 posts, read 277,011 times
I think this is a very important thread especially to older folks who need to know about the noise issues related to flights, whether from Nellis or McCarran. It can be hell on earth to live with flight noise, I've done it (not in Vegas, another area, but bought a home where it wasn't going on, then flight paths changed and nothing could be done about it at that point). There are health repurcussions to retired people who are home (not out working or partying), and want a more quiet atmosphere.

I am very concerned about the proposed 2012 F-35 jets that could impact N. Vegas...it's one thing to know about existing noise and flight paths (and believe me, some realtors are shall we say less than honest about disclosing these issues), but it's another to buy in a quiet area and then find it impacted two years later. Under those circumstances, only people "in the know" can avoid such pitfalls. Buyers from out of town are really at a disadvantage in knowing this stuff, unless they have friends/relatives living there.

Because Vegas is a tourist area with both a base and an airport, there's plenty of opportunity to find yourself in an aircraft noise area. Not that it can be entirely avoided, just want to alert anyone for whom this is an issue to make sure your realtor provides you with honest info and don't take "no" for an answer. Forewarned is forearmed.....

Old 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflybird View Post
I think this is a very important thread especially to older folks who need to know about the noise issues related to flights, whether from Nellis or McCarran. It can be hell on earth to live with flight noise, I've done it (not in Vegas, another area, but bought a home where it wasn't going on, then flight paths changed and nothing could be done about it at that point). There are health repurcussions to retired people who are home (not out working or partying), and want a more quiet atmosphere.

I am very concerned about the proposed 2012 F-35 jets that could impact N. Vegas...it's one thing to know about existing noise and flight paths (and believe me, some realtors are shall we say less than honest about disclosing these issues), but it's another to buy in a quiet area and then find it impacted two years later. Under those circumstances, only people "in the know" can avoid such pitfalls. Buyers from out of town are really at a disadvantage in knowing this stuff, unless they have friends/relatives living there.

Because Vegas is a tourist area with both a base and an airport, there's plenty of opportunity to find yourself in an aircraft noise area. Not that it can be entirely avoided, just want to alert anyone for whom this is an issue to make sure your realtor provides you with honest info and don't take "no" for an answer. Forewarned is forearmed.....
In general there are few high noise impacted areas...If you avoid 89115 it is difficult to find real noise impact. Nellis generally flies the high noise stuff to the northeast - the area of the speedway. They may rarely reverse due to weather conditions and fly over the north east and even downtown...but that is rare.

http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/dep...dixGMap18b.pdf

You can hear the AF jets anywhere on the north side. But actually police helicopters are a much bigger nuisance. Note that is probably the biggest noise problem in LV...and it can and does occur virtually everywhere.

McCarran mostly departs to the west and southwest. And they have some altitude before any of the tracts in those directions. Again a weather driven reversal can occur which impacts the area just north of Henderson and the area just east of downtown.

http://gisgate.co.clark.nv.us/gisplo...rtEnvirons.pdf

I don't think you get much noise out of NLV...ligher stuff and low activity.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:01 PM

179 posts, read 389,904 times
Default Very good maps - thanks!

Both of those maps in the above link are great - thanks!

I also found some info at aopa.org and skyvector.com.

The skyvector.com lets you look up airport scheduled flightpaths - but the problem is not being a professional pilot, then it is difficult to know what the purple lines mean, if those are flightpaths or zones.

This would have been a good topic for a professional pilot to have commented on how to read all the maps and charts - as the normal RE disclosure saying "airport nearby" or "some airport noise" really doesn't tell you much.

Both of those maps in the link above - those are really, really good.

Thanks for finding them, I saved both for reference as I continue searching for a property for retirement.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:09 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I don't think you get much noise out of NLV...ligher stuff and low activity.
Actually it can get quite noisy here with the nellis jets and whatever else. Some of those low flying giant white/red planes that fly over every morning and evening. Plus when they are doing their "exercises" it's non stop aggravation. I wish our home had better insulation and soundproof windows. The fans only block out simple noises like dogs barking.
Lately the skies are very noisy!!

Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Actually it can get quite noisy here with the nellis jets and whatever else. Some of those low flying giant white/red planes that fly over every morning and evening. Plus when they are doing their "exercises" it's non stop aggravation. I wish our home had better insulation and soundproof windows. The fans only block out simple noises like dogs barking.
Lately the skies are very noisy!!

Yea I just hear the jumbo jets landing here but when I drive up north it definitely makes me grateful because the fighter jets up at Nellis can be 2-3x louder.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,432 times
I can't believe that more people are not complaining about the planes going over the Lakes & Summerlin areas. It has gotten worse! Planes fly at all hours of the day. Some of them are so low that my house shakes. I been awakened from a sound sleep at all hours of the night. We have endured this torture long enough. How about sending them a little further south so we can finally have back the peace & quiet that I had many years ago. I understand that they have to fly this direction to ease congestion but how about giving us a break & changing the flight path. I think it is time for this to happen !!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
^^^

In the future, buy a house near a hazard to navigation, like a big mountain or something.

I have always seemed to live near military bases. And I can tell you with certainty that flight paths always change.

The cynic in me says that they change whenever an FAA official buys a house under a current flight path. But I have no proof of that. I've made it a point to try to live at the base of a mountain -- no flooding, no airplanes, great view, easy to sell down the road. It's a strategy that seems to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas